Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon EF 2.0X II Extender?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    brian usher
    brian usher e2 Member 1170 forum postsbrian usher vcard United Kingdom
    21 Aug 2003 - 5:57 PM

I have an EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS telephoto zoom and want to extend my telephoto capabilities. Do I go for a EF 2.0X II Extender for use with the above(with its disadvantage of 2 stops but advantage of relatively low cost)or should I consider an EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS (with its disadvantage of high cost but advantage of better optics?).

I would appreciate comments from anyone who has used the EF 70-200 + 2x II extender combination re pros/cons and general comments on the merits of the two approaches.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Aug 2003 - 5:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

UserDeleted
    21 Aug 2003 - 7:02 PM

I have the 70-200mm L and use a 2x Mk 1 extender with it.

Whilst I havn't yet upgraded to the IS and Mk II versions of these, and I probably will at some point, I am happy with the output of the combination. There is some minor image degredation but it is fine, and I doubt it would stop your pics getting published if that is what you want to do.

I have seen Andy Rouse use them with his long telephotos - they can't be all bad ! Smile

As well as cost you also get to use the 2x with any other compatible lens so if you ever went for a 300mm f2.8L IS it would give you a 600mm etc....

Worst case is you spend 300 - with the 100-400 (which is a pull-push zoom, one of the reasons I dislike it) it's 1200 of lens....an additional one to lug around, and 100mm of overlap you don't really need.

HTH
    Mike

Little Jo
    Little Jo e2 Member 122272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
    21 Aug 2003 - 7:04 PM

Good evening Brian

The lens you own is superb optically. However, the 2x extender isn't as good optically as the 1.4x. You may see a slight degradation in image quality. That's the view of several pro photographers I know.

I have the 100-400mm IS lens, it's very good, though some users have had problems with dust getting into the lens due to the pull-push design of the zoom. Some have also had bearings etc come loose and more recent examples of this lens seem to be just as prone to the problems, so age is not an indication of reliability. It must be remembered though, that there are probably more 100-400's in use than any other L series lens and there are still a vast number of happy users.

I hope this helps.

Jo

ZenTog
    ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Aug 2003 - 10:30 PM

i use one to produce pictures like in my gallery selection, but it has a few draw backs
    a you lose 2 stops of light ok in summer but can be to slow in winter
    b focusing is no where near as good often to get good shots i need to manual focus
    c i dont seem to lose much in quality

the only way to get crisp shots is to pay big money and buy a 600mm f4 or 500mm f4 both are stunning and available secondhand

brian usher
    22 Aug 2003 - 4:53 AM

Mike, Thanks for your comments.

brian usher
    22 Aug 2003 - 5:01 AM

Jo, Interesting comments on the 100-400. Thanks. Have you had experience with the extenders? I am paricularly interested in image quality?

brian usher
    23 Aug 2003 - 9:06 AM

Paul, Looks good enough for me you pictures are really impressive. Are you saying you need to manual focus because of the converter? You must find it difficult with a moving target.

Is your 70-200mm an IS version?

ZenTog
    23 Aug 2003 - 11:37 AM

I need to use the manual when i shoot surf because the moving back ground plus spray seems to upset the focus, its reasonabley easy to track in focus when you know the sport and the direction the target is likey to move
    i have just taken a range of shots on a wakeboard boat totally manual focus as i knew where the guys exactly because of line length, this stopped the camera locking onto the spray with its higher contrast.
    no my 70-200 is the older version cant justify changing yet. I have the is 28-135 which is a great lens probally one of the best canon has made for the consumer market

ZenTog
    23 Aug 2003 - 12:29 PM

also if i get a larger lens soon my 2x convertor mark 2 will be up for sale

UserDeleted
    23 Aug 2003 - 6:31 PM

Paul,

If and when you sell it count me in I need to upgrade my 2x mk1

Mike.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.