Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Mozzytheboy
    Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2012 - 4:02 PM

Just a quickie please. This lens is stated at f4. Is it only that aperture or does it alter. I was thinking for longer distance stuff for clarity really. I think it is only this one. I wonder how that might be if you were taking a picture of a landscape and wanted it all razor sharp.

Thanks (wish I'd taken up train spotting it would have been easier to understand!)

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Dec 2012 - 4:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Lucian
    Lucian  4529 forum posts
    9 Dec 2012 - 4:03 PM

f4 is only its maximum aperture. its sharp from about f5 until about f11.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    rogerfry
    rogerfry e2 Member 8501 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
    9 Dec 2012 - 4:19 PM

The f4 designation means that you have f4 available as the widest aperture at all focal lengths -(unlike some lenses that stop down as you zoom).
    You have full control over selecting whatever aperture you want to use via the controls on your camera.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 94038 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2012 - 4:21 PM

Goes from f4 up to f22 I think. Usually the stated figure is just the maximum apeture. I'm not sure what the optimum aperture is for it, but I've found mine sharp throughout the range, not just from f5 to f11.

Mozzytheboy
    Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2012 - 4:39 PM

Oh lordy, I'm flipping hopeless. THANK YOU Lucian, Roger, & Whipspeed (I reckon That is a made up nameSmile ) You have put my mind at rest. Lovely Jubberley.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 94038 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2012 - 4:56 PM

LOL not the name I was christened with, but I've used it on the net from the time I used to race my whippets Smile

Sarah Smile

MrGoatsmilk
    9 Dec 2012 - 6:35 PM

I tried racing a whippet once, he beat me no problem I even had trainers on and he didn't

whipspeed
    9 Dec 2012 - 6:51 PM

LOL.

Mozzytheboy
    9 Dec 2012 - 6:57 PM

Ahhh bless, can always rely on you lot to put a smile on a grumpy ol man's mush ... oh to be sureTongue

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2012 - 7:34 PM

look here to see your best apeture to use at each focal length.

Mozzytheboy
    13 Dec 2012 - 11:27 AM

And here I am with lens safely arrived an extremely happy bunny. Leaving it to settle in the nice bag that it comes with to adjust to my warm home from the cold.

Thank you everyone really!

24-105-a.jpg

steve_p
    steve_p  81089 forum posts England
    13 Dec 2012 - 6:10 PM

Mozzy,
    I hope you enjoy using it after all the advice we've given you. I am sure you will!

Mozzytheboy
    13 Dec 2012 - 7:05 PM

Reckon so Steve. It had settled into the warmer climate so could not resist a quick go. Crikey at f4 it is a mighty tool for certain! It looks rather nice as well; makes my 500D come alive. Almost as if my cam-body had been dozing all this time waiting for the right partner. Oh to be sure, Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire; here we go Smile

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Dec 2012 - 7:07 PM

So, who did you buy it from after all?

Mozzytheboy
    13 Dec 2012 - 7:15 PM

I used hldigitalbestbuy via eBay and at 569 which included Special Insured delivery, I was delighted. I received a personal telephone call from them yesterday afternoon confirming payment and that it had gone via Royal Mail 'SID' and should be with me at first delivery. It was, packaged well, clearly brand new with a written warranty for twelve months.

Yes I could have had a proper Canon box with pictures and writing but truthfully I didn't have 700-900 available funds. I'm pleased, it works perfectly so what more could I ask?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.