Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Canon EF 50mm 1.8 or Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro

SuziBlue 12 16.2k 10 Scotland
29 Jan 2007 2:57PM
Help! I was very lucky to win a 100 voucher from Park Cameras in the Christmas draw. I've been having a browse but I'm not exactly sure which lens I should get.

I like the idea of having some macro function for wildlife, but I'm also tempted by the Canon 50mm

Currently I have the two kit lenses for the Canon EOS 300D - the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm. I've done some reading around of the reviews on here but I need some opinions. My photography tends to gravitate towards either candids or intimate studies of things, although I've always wanted to be able to get some of those flower / insect shots - just don't know which way to turn.

Does anyone have any advice or helpful suggestions?

Thanks in advance. 8-]

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad 10 10.9k 116
29 Jan 2007 3:21PM
Sounds like a very personal choice to me, but here it goes:

50 mm is covered by your 18-55 mm, so it would only be a good choice if you needed a faster and/or sharper lens.

The 70-300 macro is a good choice if you feel your 55-200 mm doesn't offer you enough of a focal range, and you need more mm. Or if you want to do 1:2 macro shots.

I suppose you just have to decide what you feel is more important. (But with a voucher in your pocket, this is a luxury kind of a problem, really, isn't it...)

Here's wishing you good luck in making up your mind!

Conrad
SandyMiller 8 926 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2007 3:41PM
Suzi - just my 2 euros worth - the 50mm lens is a cracker and one that all good candiders (does that exist?!) should have in my view. You can use it in low light and for completely blowing out the background in busy situations. It is also blindingly sharp (I've got the f1.4 version but I hear the 1.8 is just as good). For me this type of quality is instantly noticeable. You'd love it.

For the money you will have a top class piece of kit that can only be matched by L glass (if then). You could also attach extension tubes for macro work if you wanted.

Enjoy your voucher whatever you choose

Sandy
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
29 Jan 2007 3:54PM
50mm I think.
sharonc 11 369
29 Jan 2007 3:58PM
Lucky you! I've got the Sigma (Nikon fit) and personally I find it too slow. It's just 'ok' (but then it's a cheap lens) as long as you've got a good amount of light. I got it as I wanted something long for motorsport etc and liked the idea of using it for macro (and didn't have much spare cash!) but I'm now saving my pennies to buy the Nikon 60mm or maybe 105mm macro (sorry - I've no idea what the canon equivalent is) and next on the list is probably something decent to replace the long end. The 50mm would be nice and fast and as Sandy says, you could use extension tubes (or maybe get a reversing ring?).
conrad 10 10.9k 116
29 Jan 2007 4:06PM
There's only one thing you should know about the 50 mm if you want to use it for candids, and that is that it's a bit on the noisy (noisy as in making sound, I mean, when focusing) side. So taking candids without being heard might be difficult...
Cristian 10 950 1
29 Jan 2007 4:59PM
I have the Canon 50mm 1.8 & also the Sigma 70-300 Macro Super II lenses along with my 18-55 kit lens. Whilst I love the 50mm to bits as it so sharp & fantastic for portraits, given the choice, I'd miss the Sigma lens more.

Cristian
29 Jan 2007 5:10PM
Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the feedback and the help. Difficult decision to make when faced with such a lovely opportunity!

Having read what you all have to say I've decided to go with the 50mm. The butterflies can wait a little longer. Smile Must admit, the low light candids are a real temptation! The other thing of course is that I don't yet have a really sturdy tripod, and that nice Sigma is not going to be happy waving about in the breeze. Probably best to wait until I get a nice tripod .. like Andy's!! hehehe (yearn yearn)

8-]

hugging self with excitement - tee hee!!
29 Jan 2007 8:20PM
Could always get a good tripod! 100 is a good chunk towards a nice tripod. A 50mm lens is luxury, the tripod essential to many photographs in low light. Just my thoughts anyway! Enjoy whatever you buy.
conrad 10 10.9k 116
29 Jan 2007 9:02PM

Quote:A 50mm lens is luxury

At 1.8 a very, very nice luxury, though - and in some cases even a necessity. What other lens is so fast at such a low price?!

Anyway, enjoy it, Suzi, it opens up whole new possibilities!

Conrad
colin 10 697 5 Scotland
29 Jan 2007 10:09PM
Hi Suzie

I have both lenses and must say I use the Sigma rather a lot for sports as well as general shooting. Its not as sharp as I'd like sometimes, but for those of us who have other things making demands on our money, its great value for money.
The 50mm, I haven't used as much, but the couple of shots of Joanna in my PF are taken with it. Again as has been said, great value for money.
The decision is yours !! (big pointy finger!)
Colin
29 Jan 2007 11:51PM
LOL Mike you're right I could go for the tripod. But if I get the Canon lens I won't need to go for the tripod just yet 8-] Gotta be careful with the pennies for a bit in case of emergencies!

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate all the feedback 8-]

Can't wait to get my nerveless fists on it! hehe!!! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
dalowsons 10 89 Australia
30 Jan 2007 1:19AM
I have the 50mm 1.8 and I LOVE IT ! I think you will be very happy with it - amazing lens for the price.

Enjoy Smile

A.
30 Jan 2007 5:40PM
Well I have to tell you I ordered the lens today! And it's going to be with me tomorrow!! little squeak!!

I'm also incredibly impressed by Park Cameras. Their customer service - from Andy Steel in particular - is stunning. I'm also getting a 1Gb card as one can never have too much memory!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Thanks again everyone - and all of you who have the lens yourselves - you sold me on it! hehe
NorthernEdge 9 535 England
30 Jan 2007 7:03PM
too slow at reading Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.