Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon EF 50mm f1.8 mk 2. Manual single point focus- can it be PART auto?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MiqsPix
    MiqsPix  341 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Dec 2012 - 12:17 PM

I have a EOS 60D and recently bought the EF 50mm f1.8 mk2. When I was researching the lens I went to my local camera store and had a demo prior to purchase. However upon trying the lens with an instore 60D and demo lens, I was manually focussing when I became aware that as soon as the camera reached a focus point the cross hair would show and the beep indicating I had focus on a particular area. I was surprised at this and asked how this works, but the salesperson said it was normal for this to occur. I was greatly impressed by this so bought the lens but now find I cannot achieve this focus confirmation with my 60D. Is there a menu setting I have to use for this? I have "aged" eyesight so this would help greatly in confirming I had the focus spot on when manually focussing. I am now doubting whether this was a true demo, or was I confused? Did I press the shutter button in error? Is this possible and can I have a single auto focus confirmation and beep when using manual or is this all nonsense and should I just rely on auto focus not manual? I intend to use the lens for portraiture mainly so and help on this would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Dec 2012 - 12:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Dec 2012 - 12:22 PM

I think you need to put your camera into single shot mode for it to work as you describe. If you have AI focus focus confirmation is often disabled. On my camera (older 40D )focus confirmation is only given on shutter half press. Have a look for a custom setting called manual focus confirmation.

MiqsPix
    MiqsPix  341 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Dec 2012 - 4:11 PM

I now remember on my demo that often the focus cross hair and beep would activate off centre. This now points me to a possibility that the camera I used instore was on full auto (green square) so the nearest point in focus will always beep using any of the 9 focus points. But this still can't explain why it happened when focussing in manual mode unless possibly I was mistaken as I said. I think you are probably correct in that you have to half press the shutter button to enable the beep. I think I missed the complete setup on the demo camera so am now totally confused! Thanks anyway. Smile

Philpot
    Philpot e2 Member 2Philpot vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jan 2013 - 8:37 PM

Hi there, I have this lens and a 550D. Iíve tried it on mine and it bleeps in manual, it works on all the 9 focus points, it also works in One shot, AI Focus and AI Servo settings, also works in all the drive modes i.e. Single shoot and continuous Shooting. It also works in every shooting mode i.e., AV, TV, P, M etc, obviously in full auto and A-DEP it bleeps when any of the 9 AF points comes into focus. On M, TV and AV you can select whichever AF point to use depending on the subject etc. I assume you have got the beep confirmation set to on in the menu as my 550D has the option to disable it if required. Poss time for an updated camera?? Hope this helps..Phil

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.