Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 L IS USM Lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Mike_Smith
    Mike_Smith e2 Member 699 forum postsMike_Smith vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Mar 2012 - 6:36 PM

Im thinking of getting the Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 L IS USM Lens. I use 2 SLR cameras a 400D and a 550D i would like to know if this is lens will be ok on these cameras and also if anyone has used it with a 1.4 converter and apart from losing a stop what is image quality like. It will be my first L lens and i know they are the best Canon lenses out there but i would like any comments on you guys out there who has one, Thankyou in advance

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Mar 2012 - 6:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sabreur
    Sabreur  8767 forum posts England
    22 Mar 2012 - 6:41 PM

I have one to use with my 7D and it works really well, so I can't imagine you'd have any problems on your bodies.

The design of the lens means that the Canon extenders don't fit. Also, losing a stop at the long end means it will be f/8 with a converter, so you will probably lose autofocus.

Gmurr
    Gmurr  428 forum posts England
    22 Mar 2012 - 7:02 PM

this lens is stunning. build quality, colour depth, detail all amazing I use it with 50D. Took number of photos on holiday in Mexico recently, some wildlife shots from speedboat really tested the IS, all came out crystal clear. I also bought Ef1.4 III as was told would work with it - it is not compatible but does work to a fashion. It will lock lens at 300mm and you really need use manual focus, apart from that it does the job. You will not regret buying it. Amazon was cheapest when I got mine November.

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 109963 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Mar 2012 - 7:28 PM

I got one almost as soon as it hit the shelves, getting a very good trade-in deal for my 300 f4LIS and 70-200f4 LIS. It will give you an idea how well it works when I tell you that I haven't regretted trading those two excellent lenses once.

It works excellently on my 60D and is even better (to my eye) on my 5Dmk2.

Suprisingly light, sharp and accurate wide open, very fast AF, its my "Go to Lens" for the majority of my day to day shooting

The price is right down now too

(oh, and its very well protected against the elements, I caught myself shooting with it during a cloud-burst at the Hawk Conservancy last year, with water pouring off it and it never missed a shot. Not to be recommended of course Wink )

adrian_w
    adrian_w e2 Member 63201 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Mar 2012 - 9:18 PM

Works great on my 400D. I find the IS very useful as it gives at least 2 stops better performance when hand held.

NeilS
    NeilS e2 Member 7801 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
    22 Mar 2012 - 10:19 PM

Great lens, as long as you are happy with the max apertures, its small and versatile with quick to AF and whilst canon t/cs don't fit, stupid design decision by canon, the Kenko ones do and work well.

I use mine with the DGX 1.4, however I use them on a 50D and a 1Dm3, the AF slows as you would expect and the IQ is acceptable on these bodies, but I can't advise how quick the AF or how good the IQ would be on your bodies.

jamie75
    jamie75  2 United Kingdom
    22 Mar 2012 - 10:40 PM

The lens is amazing and yes the canon converters do fit otherwise we wouldn't sell them..however you will loose 2 stops and most of the time auto focus....

but dont worry about the stops being lost think about it if its nature shots you want the whole animal in focus not just the head so you need to to be shooting at f8 or f11 anyway

and same with sports photography...

yes you will end up having to use a longer exposure but unless you get a 600m f4 ( and the go second hand around 6k) you aint going to get the so called perfect combo.

Sabreur
    Sabreur  8767 forum posts England
    22 Mar 2012 - 11:36 PM

Quote: The lens is amazing and yes the canon converters do fit

According to Canon the 70-300L is not compatible with Canon extenders - http://www.canon.co.uk/For%5FHome/Product%5FFinder/Cameras/EF%5FLenses/Telephoto...

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45760 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Mar 2012 - 1:02 PM

The converters physically fit, but because the lens is f5.6 at the long end, the tc communicates this to the camera which then refuses to AF because AF program needs at least f5.6. You can get over this by either taping over 3 pins (google this for how to do it) or get the very good Tamron teleconverter.

Mike_Smith
    Mike_Smith e2 Member 699 forum postsMike_Smith vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Mar 2012 - 9:51 PM

Thats what i love about this site the experience others will share and help you with thanks for all your replys. I didnt realise you can use a tamron converter on a Canon camera and lens. So it seems the lens is very good now ill search where to buy it from i always buy my gear from the likes of amazon jessops WEX, at least with them any problems they get sorted unlike the companies you read about with all these grey imports anyway thanks once again

tonyguitar
    28 Mar 2012 - 3:39 AM

Recently got the Canon 70 - 300mm and I agree with positive comments above. The Tamron converter for Canon works well and sells here for about $299 while the Canon 1.4 x se;;s for about $549... Save some money. Reviews say Tamron gives just as good resulta as Canon 1.4X anyway. Recent photos on my blog are the new Canon 70 - 300. PhotoTonyG.blogspot.com The earlier shots were Tamron 70 - 300 and it was better than I thought. Tamron deserves respect. TG

Mike_Smith
    6 Apr 2012 - 7:20 PM

Ok thankyou to all your replies, i went and bought one from Park cameras was delivered following day. Also Canon has a promotion on at moment so i get 90 back from them. Very very well built lens in comparison to my non L lenses, and picture quality is amazing too just need some decent weather to get out there and put it through its paces been raining all day here.

Regards

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 109963 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Apr 2012 - 8:36 PM

Have fun using the new lens Mike, I still find it a real pleasure to handle and enjoy the results.

Just for fun and to show how well the AF works on the 5dDmk2 + this lens. This was shot this afternoon whilst tooling about the garden. Its the original crop but heavily PP'd (to around 800X 600Pix) shot using single point AF, single shot mode at 300mm and f5.6 .

Your target, should you accept it, is to get a bee in flight using AF Grin (I've managed it with MF but not AF yet)

bluebottle-70-300-lis-f5-6.jpg

Last Modified By brian1208 at 6 Apr 2012 - 8:37 PM
    lawbert
    lawbert  71639 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Apr 2012 - 8:46 PM

Quote: Have fun using the new lens Mike, I still find it a real pleasure to handle and enjoy the results.

Just for fun and to show how well the AF works on the 5dDmk2 + this lens. This was shot this afternoon whilst tooling about the garden. Its the original crop but heavily PP'd (to around 800X 600Pix) shot using single point AF, single shot mode at 300mm and f5.6 .

Your target, should you accept it, is to get a bee in flight using AF Grin (I've managed it with MF but not AF yet)

This is Truly a Specsavers momentWink

Despite the crop there is no sharp definition of anythingWink

Your mission brian1208 should you accept it is to get a new set of specs before you set others inflight challengesGrin

brian1208
    6 Apr 2012 - 11:09 PM

Quote: get a new set of specs

I got the specs, they just sharpen the blur from my cataracts! Sad

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.