Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Canon EF Extender (teleconerter)

28 Jul 2012 10:55AM
sorry for asking what is probably a dumb question...

the images i have seen of the 1.4extender seem to show the central lens element extending beyond the front of the barrel/body by quite a significant amount. What stops it coming into contact with the rear lens element of the lens it is fastened to? I have a 70-200 f4l and thinking about the 1.4 extender.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sabreur 9 767 England
28 Jul 2012 11:16AM
It only works with certain Canon L lenses which don't allow the two lens elements to touch. There is a compatability list on the Canon site.
rogerfry e2
9 509 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2012 11:24AM
Your lens is ok with the converter.

(Don't try and use it with any lens not on the list).
28 Jul 2012 11:40AM
thanks guys, thats really helpful.

Steve
tomcat e2
9 6.0k 15 United Kingdom
29 Jul 2012 8:44PM
I was going to say, to be careful about AF, but the f/4 should be OK, I think?
chris.maddock 13 3.4k United Kingdom
29 Jul 2012 8:50PM

Quote:I was going to say, to be careful about AF, but the f/4 should be OK, I think?

Provided it fits (*), it'll work fine.

(*) I assume that it will, my Mk1 did, can't imagine that the later models will have dropped the extender compatibility.
29 Jul 2012 8:52PM
Thanks.

Slightly different q? Forget the extender sell the 70 200 and get the 70 300l with added benefit of IS? Or go for the 1.4?

Any suggestions/advice?
NeilS e2
7 903 United Kingdom
30 Jul 2012 6:07PM
70-300l is a magic compact L zoom, I use one as a walk about lens, and I am usually quite amazed what you can capture panning and wafting in good light

Its an interesting lens that Canon has provided, as its designed by them not to fit a Canon teleconverter, which is bad news for Canon because everyone then buys the Kenko DGX, which I have to admit works quite well it

Its size, weight, IS and AF, IQ and zoom are all plus factors, the only two negatives are its f5.6 at the long end and the not included Canon Tripod collar costs a kidney, however I use a 10 knock off jobby from the far east, its the same size collar that fits the 28-300L, and I have had no issues

Below is is an image captured recently with it, I have tried to replicate and get a better shots with my 300L 2.8 prime and failed, and I am still fit enough to waft that about quite efficiently

8 Aug 2012 8:42AM
One of the most important thing to remember when using any of the extenders is that AF can be affected. The 1.4X will up your lens f stop one stop - an f4 will become an f5.6 and this is highest f stop where AF will work.

I use the 1.4X with my 300mm f4 prime (becomes a 420mm f5.6) and get good AF.
Likewise I can use the 2X with my 300mm f2.8 (and it becomes a 600mm f5.6) and still get good AF.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.