Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon EOS 1000D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MattGrayson
    9 Jul 2008 - 12:51 AM

Hello everyone. The Canon EOS 1000D has been reviewed and you can see it here.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Jul 2008 - 12:51 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MattGrayson
    9 Jul 2008 - 9:06 AM

bump for those of you that were asleep! Wink Wink

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jul 2008 - 9:49 AM

Its a fair review, and you are spot on about the pricing. We know it will sell for less, so why bother putting the retail up so high. Why not start at 350 knowing it wll be discounted to match cameras like the A200.

Still I guess if you sell cameras and people want to throw you their money you might as well take it, its business after all.

mattw
    mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jul 2008 - 10:29 AM

I agree with your rating on this one Matt.

It is one thing for Canon to price something like the 5D high on release - but the 1000D has completely missed it's market!

matt07
    matt07  725 forum posts
    10 Jul 2008 - 9:28 PM

Quote: the 1000D has completely missed it's market!

It sure has. There's something wrong with the pricing if you're paying more money for less features!

Even if they reduce the price, it still won't be competitive.

mark_delta
    10 Jul 2008 - 9:51 PM

I am seriously beginning to wonder if canon have been taken over by the Labour party ?
    They appear to have lost their knowledge of what photographers actually want and what they are prepared to pay for it, someone should give them the bad news that Sony and Nikon are already miles ahead in the technology race, don't bother trying to build hype for six months and just get the product in the shelf at the correct price to start with.
    The only thing they have got going is the lens range, the 1dmk3 was a disaster and caused most major photo agencies to jump to Nikon, they still ignore the fact that the whole range of dslrs cameras auto white balance does not work under artificial light leading to yellow and pink pictures unless you balance manually, that the P mode selects the most stupid flash speed known to man 1/60 th of a second, why can it not be set manually and locked down in a custom setting to something more useful like 125 or 250 and think that people will put up with the most stupid launch prices and wait 12 months until they release the real price.
    The 1000d is a 295 camera
    end of !

Last Modified By mark_delta at 10 Jul 2008 - 9:54 PM
    Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jul 2008 - 10:04 PM

I was in the local Currys a day or two ago. I was surprised at the low pricing of some of the competition to Canon. And Currys are not endeared to me for low pricing.

If I were looking for a first DSLR the EOS 1000D would be a complete non-starter at that price.

579.99 (with 18-55mm lens) from 'The Shop'.

Not me! Sad Sad

jas

mattw
    mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jul 2008 - 10:29 PM

Quote: If I were looking for a first DSLR the EOS 1000D would be a complete non-starter at that price.

579.99 (with 18-55mm lens) from 'The Shop'

And the higher speced 450D is currently 380 (with the cash back offer) - which IS a relly good price.

Half the price of the 1000D, and it might start making sense.

strawman
    10 Jul 2008 - 11:03 PM

Yes canon launch pricing has been silly recently, the 450D started at higher than the 40D, 380 for it is much fairer. So this new camera must be less, so I would have guessed a 350 list price so it can be discounted to 300 and then drift down to 270 or so.

matt07
    matt07  725 forum posts
    12 Jul 2008 - 9:20 PM

But if 579.99 for the kit is only the r.r.p, then maybe the price will be lowered significantly. Still, few DSLR's will have been discounted that heavily just to make them competitive. 320 for the kit sounds fine.

steve_p
    steve_p  91098 forum posts England
    12 Jul 2008 - 9:27 PM

Just wait and see- what did the 40D start out at? You can get one for around 630 now, I believe

nickfrog
    nickfrog  7333 forum posts
    12 Jul 2008 - 10:57 PM

Quote: Sony and Nikon are already miles ahead in the technology race,

Slight exageration maybe.

Quote: caused most major photo agencies to jump to Nikon

Slight exageration maybe.

Quote: they still ignore the fact that the whole range of dslrs cameras auto white balance does not work under artificial light leading to yellow and pink pictures unless you balance manually

Very true ; RAW compulsory

strawman
    12 Jul 2008 - 11:13 PM

Quote: Sony and Nikon are already miles ahead in the technology race

Not at the entry level where this camera and the 450D plays. Any of the Sony/Nikon entry cameras even gone CMOS sensor yet???? This camera looks functional and certainly technology competitive against the A200 and the D60. Live view anyone? CMOS sensor, but full marks to Sony for throwing in an IS solution.

Photo agencies, well thats more your 1D and D3 market is it not (I do not think Sony are active there are they?) And yes the 1D looks to have had its issues (care to send me one so I can see if I can find the problem).

This camera clearly suffers from stupid price syndrome. Lets see it 3 months from now what shelf price it will command. It will be lower than the 450D which is just exiting silly price phase itself.

I wonder what Nikons list price for the D60 is? @ 400 no lens. How much for an IS lens as well, as the Canon price included that?

Is it the best camera no idea, but the A200 probably offers the best value for money. With so many cameras it must be hard to pick your first dSLR.

Last Modified By strawman at 12 Jul 2008 - 11:19 PM
    steve_p
    steve_p  91098 forum posts England
    13 Jul 2008 - 7:22 AM

Quote: Is it the best camera no idea, but the A200 probably offers the best value for money. With so many cameras it must be hard to pick your first dSLR

Yes the A200 is the best value for money=but Canon & Nikon have far better build quality. It is difficult to choose a first DSLR. Most of the people that come into my shop do not know what they want.
    The best way for them to choose is to handle them and see which they prefer. Actually done this way most go for a D60 or 450D. some of this is because these two are seen as proper cameras, whereas Sony is still thought of as an electronics company not a camera maker.
    Steve

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.