Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV or 5D mark II ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
funkeldink
funkeldink e2 Member 101592 forum postsfunkeldink vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2010 - 11:39 PM

which to buy??? .. want to use my existing lenses so errring to the 1d iv /// /// advice anyone?
many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Oct 2010 - 11:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2010 - 11:45 PM

If your gallery is anything to go by, I'd say the 5d mkII. It doesn't look like the speed and autofocus benefits of the MkIV would be worth the extra 2k for your style of photography. Both the 5d MKII and 1d MkIV use the EF mount only, the only lens I could see mentioned on your images is a 50mm and that will work on either assuming its a Canon EF variety. If you have any EF-S mount lenses then those wouldn't work on either camera.

funkeldink
funkeldink e2 Member 101592 forum postsfunkeldink vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2010 - 11:53 PM

hi .. thankyou .. but my personal style on here is not nessaraly what i am shooting these days , doing work for construction companies .. more wide angle than anything else... i have a sigma 10-20 ,sigma 20-40mm, sigma 50-150, canon 50 mm .. tamron 90mm macro .. would these be any good on the 5dII?
thanks again

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2010 - 12:03 AM

I'd still say 5d mkII for wideangle use.

The 10-20 (equiv. to 16-32mm on full frame) is an APS-C crop camera only, so you would be looking to swap that in for something like a Canon 17-40 or 16-35. The Sigma 50-150 (35mm 80-320mm) is DC as well, so again a APS-C crop lens only. If you want to keep these, perhaps consider upgrading to the 60d or 7d instead.

The Tamron 90mm macro, Canon 50mm will work with full frame and I think the 20-40 will do as well as a DG lens.

funkeldink
7 Oct 2010 - 12:07 AM

great help ... many thanks mate

stevie
stevie e2 Member 101197 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2010 - 6:53 AM

I've got a 1D Mk 4 and it's fantastic - for sport, wildlife, street photography and really anything where a very fast, accurate response is the priority. However, for 'wide angle work for construction companies' I think a 5D 2 might be a better solution , apart from the money you'd save.

samfurlong
7 Oct 2010 - 9:23 AM

Quote: I've got a 1D Mk 4 and it's fantastic - for sport, wildlife, street photography and really anything where a very fast, accurate response is the priority. However, for 'wide angle work for construction companies' I think a 5D 2 might be a better solution , apart from the money you'd save.

Agreed, spend the dosh you save on a 16-35mm L II for the wideangle work.

Thincat
Thincat  6616 forum posts
7 Oct 2010 - 4:00 PM

There was a thread a few weeks ago (which won't be far down the forum) where the 5DII was panned for rubbish focusing in low light. Its focus system wasn't updated from the 5D so it's a bit behind the Canon "state of the art" now. This may not matter for what you do but it's worth being aware of.

Doug_Jackson
17 Oct 2010 - 9:14 AM

I don industrial and construction photography in low light, as we as wedding and the 5d mk 2 is a poor focuser. You have to hunt for the hi contrast area in the veiw finder. The 1D is far better in these conditions and I will be upgrading when money allows.

66tricky
66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
17 Oct 2010 - 11:10 AM

Quote: I'd still say 5d mkII for wideangle use.

The 10-20 (equiv. to 16-32mm on full frame) is an APS-C crop camera only, so you would be looking to swap that in for something like a Canon 17-40 or 16-35. The Sigma 50-150 (35mm 80-320mm) is DC as well, so again a APS-C crop lens only. If you want to keep these, perhaps consider upgrading to the 60d or 7d instead.

The Tamron 90mm macro, Canon 50mm will work with full frame and I think the 20-40 will do as well as a DG lens.

You can see how well the 10-20 would "work" here: 10-20 on a full-frame camera

RRRoger
RRRoger  453 forum posts United States
19 Oct 2010 - 4:29 AM

Quote: Hi .. thankyou .. but my personal style on here is not nessaraly what i am shooting these days , doing work for construction companies .. more wide angle than anything else... i have a sigma 10-20 ,sigma 20-40mm, sigma 50-150, canon 50 mm .. tamron 90mm macro .. would these be any good on the 5dII?
thanks again

I have a 5D2 for sale.
The Sigmas I have work exceptionally well.
28-300, 24-70, 70-200 (all three Macro) 150-500
two Kenko teleconverters and a Tamrac CyberPak
Every thing like new $4500

SteveCharles
19 Oct 2010 - 12:26 PM

I'm not a Canon user, but if I were making the choice I would almost certainly be going for a 5DII and probably not even considering a 1D. Sam is right about using the money saved (as well as from getting rid of the 10-20) and getting a 16-35, or perhaps 17-40 for less outlay. I notice in your list you also mention a Sigma 20-40 - I've no idea how good it is but you could either ditch it as well and put it towards your new wideangle, or use it as your wideangle on the 5D, depending on how well it works on that camera.

Another option you don't seem to have considered is getting a 7D which would be compatible with your 10-20.

I would consider the AF performance in low light or otherwise completely irrelevant if you are mainly interested in static subjects like architecture / interiors / construction.

funkeldink
19 Oct 2010 - 1:55 PM

thanks .. no ditching as its a second cam that i need ...

Snapper123
8 Jun 2011 - 11:03 PM

I have both of these and the biggest difference is that the 1D does what you expect .... all the time.
After that the lens angle differs slightly, it is much heavier - but balances better with 70-200L 2.8is.
Apart from (noise) in extreme low light situations, I doubt you will notice slightly fewer MP.
In terms of speed of operation and drive, there is no comparison...I now use the 5D Mk2 purely for macro and landscapes.

pulsar69
pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2011 - 7:22 PM

Quote: I have both of these and the biggest difference is that the 1D does what you expect .... all the time.
After that the lens angle differs slightly, it is much heavier - but balances better with 70-200L 2.8is.
Apart from (noise) in extreme low light situations, I doubt you will notice slightly fewer MP.
In terms of speed of operation and drive, there is no comparison...I now use the 5D Mk2 purely for macro and landscapes.

Can someone enlighten me to exactly what they are talking about ' The 5D2 has a poor focussing system ' + ' 1D does what you expect' ? I have two of these 5D2s with a combined shutter count now of 120,000 shots and could count on one hand the number of times I have had trouble focussing , always use the centre spot and never bother with continuos shooting , the 1dmk4 has absolutely no advantage to my mind in terms of quality or noise production and only holds an advantage for speed , so why would you want to shell out over the odds by a mile for the1dmk4 , Im waiting for the new 1dsmk4 to see if thats a big enough improvement to be worth changing for , otherwise its the tried tested and award winning 5d2 work horses for us Wink

awaits the barrage of 1d owners justifying there overspend .... lol

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.