Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon EOS-1D Mk4 AF and fast/slow auto tracking

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    johnmac
    johnmac  491 forum posts
    22 Sep 2012 - 2:04 PM

Hi all, Canon EOS-1D Mk4, I tried it out in AF and fast/slow auto tracking at a rugby match I found that when it focused it was going in and out of focus as if it was consistently hunting to focus. I was using a 70-200 f2.8 lens. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Sep 2012 - 2:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Sep 2012 - 2:18 PM

Had you got it set to focus on multiple focus points or on 1 or one with group round? When shooting cycling I always use one point where I know where the head of the rider or riders will be in the frame & never had problems with hunting on my 1D Mk3. It may be having problems as too much going on in the frame and not knowing what to focus on.

stevie
    stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Sep 2012 - 3:45 PM

I do a lot of my animal shots using a single point and it's certainly effective

geoffash26
    geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Sep 2012 - 4:05 PM

Loads of customsetting the go hand in hand with focusing. Still trying different setting myself but did find some interesting reading here
    HTH
    Geoff

Last Modified By geoffash26 at 22 Sep 2012 - 4:07 PM
    geoffash26
    geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Sep 2012 - 4:08 PM

and more here

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Sep 2012 - 4:57 PM

Some good links there Geoff. I got something off the Canon website when I got the Mk3 a few years ago an it gave recommended start points for settings for different sports. It was really helpful, as there are so many customisations you can make.

johnmac
    johnmac  491 forum posts
    22 Sep 2012 - 5:26 PM

Tried it on both single and group around. This morning took some shots of a horse walking slowly on single AF and it was hunting in and out to focus, didn't try it on group around though. Mate told me if there is no chance of anything crossing the subject single AF should be fine. Going to the park tomorrow with quite a few matches going on I'll try out what you suggest with it fixed on the monopod. Them links you gave are very useful.

Last Modified By johnmac at 22 Sep 2012 - 5:28 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.