Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Canon EOS 20D Eyecup

IanFlindt 10 739 21 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2005 6:03AM
I've found that my view of a scene through the viewfinder is enhanced immeasurably if I place a hand on either side of my face to stop the light from leaking in and diminishing the quality of the view. Trouble is, I need my hands for other purposes!

Any suggestions on a way around this? I note Canon does an extended eyecup (ep-ex15) but that appears primarily to assist those with glasses ; it's not intended to cut down on unwanted light.

I have thought about draping a black scarf over my head and camera (so creating the sort of blanket those school photographers used to use) but my wife's threatened to leave me if I do.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2005 6:08AM
If the extended eyecup is rubber it should help with or without glasses as it makes a better seal around your eye.

Ian
IanFlindt 10 739 21 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2005 6:33AM
Thanks, Ian - unfortunately it's not of rubber.
elikag 10 749
8 Mar 2005 6:35AM
Saw a photog with an eyecap that was very similar to the eyecaps you find on pro TV cams (the portable kind - andytvcams Wink it was pretty old camera, by design. Never got a chance to talk to him. So I wonder - was it self/custom made or are there things like that for sale?

Ilia Kagan.
tigerminx 10 237 South Africa
14 Dec 2006 4:08PM
Hi Ian, did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm looking for an eyecup as well.

Bruce.
cambirder 10 7.2k England
14 Dec 2006 4:20PM
They are available from Digital Rev and other Hong Kong ebay stores for under 10 inc postage.
andytvcams 12 10.4k United Kingdom
14 Dec 2006 4:26PM
I use These and just adapt them to fit over my 5D viewfinder.
tigerminx 10 237 South Africa
14 Dec 2006 5:09PM
Thanks guys, I will have to see what I can find.
Bruce.
collywobles 10 3.3k 9 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2006 7:57PM
Flindt, the Canon eye extender is just that, it puts a 15mm spacer mainly for people who wear glasses. Hoever, you have to put the original eyepiece on as well, and thats rubber.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.