Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon EOS 30D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    bledzo
    bledzo  269 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 May 2012 - 12:47 AM

Hello all, I am a new member to this forum so please forgive if this post inappropriate.

I wondered if any Canon users have the same camera as myself i.e. EOS 30D ? I suppose my motive in asking is to request/share some of the custom functions in this third generation DSLR camera. I am very pleased with my camera but if some settings can be tweaked then it would be good to know and benefit all. Please don't get the wrong idea as I am firmly of the belief that a "good" camera does not make you a good photographer, it's all in how you perceive an image in my opinion.

Anyway there is nothing new in my post that has not been said before but I would still appreciate some comment from fellow 30D enthusiasts Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 May 2012 - 12:47 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
    15 May 2012 - 1:03 AM

look in utube put type of camera in google search find some useful videos there

bledzo
    bledzo  269 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 May 2012 - 1:09 AM

Thanks for that, I keep saying to other people just type your comment into Google and there you go Grin

Umberto_Vanni
    Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9365 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
    15 May 2012 - 3:09 AM

I have a 30D. Mines is set to a custom setting for sharpness, contrast and colour as images straight out of the camera can look as if they lack punch somewhat (even with RAW files). It was also previously set up (i bought it second hand) to use the focus button differently from its standard setting but i set it back to default as i couldn't get the hang of it.

mikehit
    mikehit  56444 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    15 May 2012 - 9:24 AM

I nearly always shoot RAW so leave my camera settings on 'Faithful'. On the rare occasions I shoot JPEG I have no problem using modern software to adjust colours - as long as it is not too drastic it gives perfectly acceptable results. But then I am one of those 'want it to work straight out of the box' sort of guys with minimal firtling.

Quote: Mines is set to a custom setting for sharpness, contrast and colour as images straight out of the camera can look as if they lack punch somewhat (even with RAW files).

I'm not sure what you mean here, Umberto. The camera setting do not affect the RAW image only the JPEG. They will dictate how the RAW image looks when you first open it in Canon DPP software, but that is fully reversible. The JPEG however is irreversibly rendered.

I have the 30D and despite buying a 7D still think it is an excellent camera. In fact the reason I bought the 7D was for functions (AF focus tracking etc) and not image quality.

Umberto_Vanni
    Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9365 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
    15 May 2012 - 2:40 PM

Quote:
    I'm not sure what you mean here, Umberto. The camera setting do not affect the RAW image only the JPEG. They will dictate how the RAW image looks when you first open it in Canon DPP software, but that is fully reversible. The JPEG however is irreversibly rendered.

Probably the JPEG is what i'm meaning. Sorry.

I bought the 30D off of a friend and he had set up some of the custom settings. I never really used them until recently. Put it this way. The image seems to look more like what i see in reality with the custom setting than it did before so yes you are correct. It will be the JPEG.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.