Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Canon EOS 50D import problems

17 Oct 2010 2:48AM
Hi All,

Every time I import pictures from my Canon EOS 50D into my Windows 7 Toshiba laptop I need to run CHKDSK afterwards and sometimes my wireless connection is diabled. It seems that my laptop does not reconise my camera as an external device that can be 'disconnected' in the usual way, via software, so my only choice it to either remove the USB or trun off the camera afterwards.

When I was in asia earlier this year, I imported lots of photos just about 7 days a week, this I am sure was the cause of my hard disk crash.

Has anyone has this issue? I've sent emails to Microsoft, Toshiba and Canon, but none have replied after 2 weeks!

Help!! What am I doing wrong? Any advice gratefuly received,

Jonathan

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

frispy e2
4 5
18 Oct 2010 4:25PM
Hi Jonathan

I had similar problems with my EOS 5D MK1 after upgrading from Vista to Windows 7. I found the easiest solution was to use a card reader for transferring images to PC.

However should you wish to resolve this issue, it may be worth while downloading the latest drivers for your camera/ operating system then uninstalling the old camera software using something like CCleaner , reboot then install the latest drivers. CHKDSK will run when it detects hardware issues or it has been set to perform at start up, in my experience driver issues can mimick a disk conflict that would make CHKDSK run. I think that perhaps the loss of wireless is another issue all together.

In my opinion it is much easier and less head ache inducing to use a card reader and save the camera batteries for shooting.

Gareth

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.