Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

canon EOS 550D vs Nikon D3100

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    basith
    basith  2 Sri Lanka
    12 Sep 2012 - 4:24 PM

Hi,I have decided to buy a Entry level camera. but I have two options.Which camera is suitable for study camera as a beginner between Canon 550D or Nikon D3100.
    I wish to buy 550D or Nikon D3100.
    *I have to study well abt camera
    *Which Focus mode is better to learn well (Auto focus or Manual)
    *some time I will not change my camera in future & I will Buy Lenses in future (cheap Price lenses) e.g TAMRON
    *May I use Auto focus & manual mode separately On Camera Which had AF Motor ?
    *Advantages of having AF Motor on Cameras.
    I expect your advise Briefly,also consider only two cameras which I said.
    Mostly I like all type of Photography (Close-up/macro,landscape,Bird)
    Thanks for Your Advise.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Sep 2012 - 4:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7786 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Sep 2012 - 5:09 PM

The Canon although a couple of generations out of date now is still a good camera - and not too distant in terms of spec from the current model. It's not 'entry-level' it's at the top of [or was] Canon's 'consumer level' DSLRs. The equivalent Nikons would be the 5000, not the 3000 series which doesn't have a built in AF motor so will only function with lenses that have their own built-in.

Of these two I'd say the 550D is clearly the better - and I don't especially favour one manufacturer over the other. As to whether you should learn to use auto or manual focus, most of the time, most photographers use AF systems. There are times when you may want to fine-tune or override this, so to fully get to grips with your camera, you'll learn both.

thewilliam
    12 Sep 2012 - 5:23 PM

As I've said many times before, the entry level Nikons share a lot of parts with their higher-end brethren. When you're paying 10 times as much for a camera body, you get better weather-sealing and a general ruggedness, the image quality is much the same. How long would it take you to clock up 300k frames?

The Nikon lenses seem to give fewer problems than their Canon counterparts and even the real cheapies like the 18-55 kit lens are good performers.

Ultimately, it's wise to buy whichever feels better in your hands and then resist the tempation to switch brands. At some stage, the other maker will bring out a model that's better than yours.

The best camera is the one you take with you!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.