Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Canon EOS 650 (35mm) shutter question

Timbo78 3 1 United Kingdom
14 Jul 2013 11:33PM
I have had this camera for a while now and it suffers with the sticky shutter problem. I've cleaned the gunk a couple of times, as recommended on various sites but I still can't get through a roll of film without a shutter problem. So does anyone have a link to a guide which shows how to remove the shutter bumper, which has degraded, completely? I can't find one despite extensive Googling and I understand this can be removed without affecting the operation of the camera. I have another 35mm camera, an Olympus, but I want to be able to use my Canon lenses to shoot film as well as digital.

Anyone able to help please?

Thanks in advance.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

15 Jul 2013 12:49AM
This is a known problem with old film EOS cameras. Unfortunately, I never met solution to this as well ( but was not looking too hard). Do you really need to waste your time on it though? I bought a near mint EOS 500 off e-bay for 15$ last yearSmile
Timbo78 3 1 United Kingdom
15 Jul 2013 8:33AM
The camera was a very cheap eBay purchase (2 plus postage!) but rather than spend my time trying to buy another camera, I'd rather try to save the one I have by removing the bumper. I'm not entirely sure which models are affected by the problem, or I may consider another EOS film body though. I know I'll probably have to partly strip the body to get at the rubber, so it might be a pain to do it.

Is there a list of bumper problem cameras that is accurate? What can I buy without having this problem?

Thanks.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.