Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Canon EOS 70D

Mike_Smith Plus
8 225 1 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2013 8:00PM
Just got the above camera and took it out today as you do. Now my question is this after looking through the pictures taken today on computer i noticed a block of 6 then later on a block of 5 were almost black to look at. The camera was set on AV F5.6 ISO 400, strangely these very dark pictures were showing a shutter speed of 1600 and the other block 1000/sec. I find this crazy as it was a very dull day hence the ISO400, now the pictures either side of these dark pictures were showing a speed off 200/sec which is more like it and these were all ok, so what i am trying to work out is the camera faulty, i have checked all the data and none of the settings had been moved by accident, what do you think?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman 3 1.5k United Kingdom
6 Nov 2013 8:09PM
wat lens was on it?
Mike_Smith Plus
8 225 1 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2013 8:13PM
Canon 70 - 300 L
v8dunc 8 333 4 Scotland
6 Nov 2013 8:21PM
What metering mode were you using,and were there any bright objects in the frame(lights)
Mike_Smith Plus
8 225 1 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2013 8:23PM
evaluative metering and there were no bright areas at all
mikehit Plus
5 7.7k 12 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2013 8:25PM
Rob - Can you explain what the lens may have to do with the problem?

Mike - you checked exif data, so not switched to manual by mistake and no exposure compensation? When this happens to me it is usually an accidental shift of a dial or something. Other than that I am stumped as you are.
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
6 Nov 2013 8:34PM
Stray light entering the viewfinder perhaps.
Mike_Smith Plus
8 225 1 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2013 8:50PM
this camera has a lock where as you choose AV its locked it cant be accidentally moved and other settings can also be locked once set which i did. Anyway i thank you all for your replies, i have now asked Amazon for a replacement these things cost a lot of money so i decided that was best way to go.

This just shows to lots of people on here who wonder about buying grey imports shipped from Hong Kong etc. I bought from amazon because i know there returns policy is first class. I would be really fed up if i had bought from Hong Kong
ianrobinson 5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
7 Nov 2013 8:42AM
This has happened to me Mike, usually in AV mode I am starting to think it may be something in the menu of the 70D, maybe something along the lines of the camera has a setting where it will take the picture even if the exposure is wrong for that instance, something like a safty net so you don't loose the shot, only guessing mind.
usually it does happen in poor light for me also.

As I said it has happened to me also on my new 70D, not a clue why this has happened other than the above.
alansnap Plus
11 552 23 United Kingdom
7 Nov 2013 4:26PM
If it's happened to a couple of people, make sure you report it to Canon. My guess is it's maybe a firmware bug. Canon are pretty good at updating it. Have a look on the Canon website to make sure you have the latest firmware loaded.
Alan
mikehit Plus
5 7.7k 12 United Kingdom
7 Nov 2013 4:45PM
have you tried resetting to factory defaults?
colin beeley Plus
12 1.1k 10 England
7 Nov 2013 6:31PM
you could try going into custom functions and setting safety shift see if that sorts it out next time Wink
Mike_Smith Plus
8 225 1 United Kingdom
7 Nov 2013 9:29PM
I appreciate your replies, but tommorow i will recieve my replacement camera, then again i will give it a thorough testing to see if this happens again, i will come back to this thread and let you know how i get on. Thank you

Regards
colin beeley Plus
12 1.1k 10 England
11 Nov 2013 5:36PM
well what happened ???????????
Mike_Smith Plus
8 225 1 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2013 9:57PM
Ok i said i would come back, since i started this thread i can tell you i got a replacement camera and everything on this one seems to work perfectly. One thing i will say though, i cant fault Amazon for there service i actually recieved my replacement camera before they had picked up the faulty one, how many companies would do that. In the summer i bought a garden bench off them and it had a crack in the seat and same thing happened i got another before they picked the other one up.

I see threads on here where people are wondering whether to buy equipment from Hongkong and the likes grey imports, well the above proves the answer to that

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.