Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

canon eos 7d

bobsblues 4 10 2 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2010 5:54AM
hi evryone , i'm upgrading my camera to canon eos 7 d, can anyone advise me on the best flash card/memory card for this camera as there seem to be so many to chose from ,thanks in advance for your comments
rob

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
22 Jan 2010 7:57AM
A Sandisk Extreme III would be a good choice. The card capacity will really depend on the type of photography you do but a 4GB or 8GB is a fairly respectable size.

Justin
Squirrel e2
7 401 3 England
22 Jan 2010 8:38AM
I too am upgrading to 7D.
If you are planning on using the video on this camera get a large card, i've been told that 5 mins of the vid is about 2GB.
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
22 Jan 2010 10:50AM
This should do the trick...Smile link
mcgannc e2
6 389 3 England
22 Jan 2010 11:48AM
I recently got this - the one that I received was actually a UDMA version, and works absolutely great with my 7d

Chris

EDIT: I wouldn't bother with a 4gb either, made the mistake of getting a sandisk 4gb prior to getting my 7d, and quickly realised it's not enough due to the large file sizes - just carry it around as a spare for my 8gb now.
cambirder e2
11 7.2k England
22 Jan 2010 12:28PM
I guess movie mode is the big test. I just tried out shooting a 1 min HD movie a a Sandisk Extreme III card (30Mb transfer rate) and it was fine. I need to get at least a couple of 8Gb cards so will be looking for something similar as I don't think its worth forking out for faster cards.

Extreme III's have been replaced with the new 60Mb Extreme, I also notice that the new Ultras are 30Mb cards but that relates to read speed only, write is way down at 9mb so avoid those.
samfurlong e2
8 2.5k United Kingdom
22 Jan 2010 2:06PM
In theory any should work but among the pros I know, most nikon shooters use lexar, most canon shooters use Sandisk extremes of varying varieties.
I have a mixture of MK3s' the 's' and a 7D and I have a mix of sandisk extreme II, III and IV cards. They are very fast and serve me well day in day out.
I tend to avoid having massive cards ( I think most are 4GB, and I still have a few 2GB ones) as if a card falls over you loose less.
It is a pain having more cards to carry about but I believe that safety of my data is more important. I also tend to swap cards 2 or 3 times during a shoot even if they are not full in case one dies then I don't loose the lot.
LensYews e2
6 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2010 4:02PM
Looking at Rob Galbraith's card performance site the edge is with the Lexar 600x range, they'll clear the buffer at 52mb/s, which you may need if you are going to be using the continous shooting option on RAW which gets about 26 shots into the buffer.

On the review site, the SanDisks are behind on the performance a little, and extreme IV and below, probably a bit sluggish for sports/action shooting on the latest models.
samfurlong e2
8 2.5k United Kingdom
22 Jan 2010 6:18PM

Quote:On the review site, the SanDisks are behind on the performance a little, and extreme IV and below, probably a bit sluggish for sports/action shooting on the latest

Jesus christ! How many pics are you planning on shooting??

Most modern cameras with a reasonable 20-30 MB/s card are at a point where the numbers have stopped making a huge difference. I mean, do you really think you're likley to be shooting a sequence of 200 frames at 10fps anytime soon? Even if you miss ONE single shot due to you somehow filling that buffer and it not clearing in time is it really going to be worth the price premium you pay for the very latest card? Unlikley. There comes a point where (as happened with megapixels a while back) that the numbers become meaningless. For me that happened about a year back with memory. Until I started using the 40MB/s sandisks in the Canon MK3 I would occasionally fill the buffer but I can honestly say that since then I have not had to worry about it (although any increase in read speeds when transferring to the laptop are always welcome).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE having the latest cameras, I am a SERIOUS gear junkie with several bags full of 1D's and L series glass but I always approach kit with the view that it has to pay it's way. If a 30 extreme IV will do the job rather than the latest UDMA model costing 4 times that then why pay the difference?

If you need to rattle off 150 frames in a burst to make sure you capture the moment then spend some money on a course or a few lessons perhaps.

For general picture taking I would probably recommend to the OP a couple of 4GB sandisk extreme III's or IV's.

Incidentally , the reason I say Sandisk and not lexar stems from a number of years back when I switched from Nikon to Canon.
It was back in the days of the D2H/X and the Canon 1D / 1DMKII. I changed jobs and was given a bag full of canons but I still had a few lexar 2GB cards in various cubby holes and jacket pockets that I'd forgotten about so I thought I might as well use them.
I had heard what I regarded as the urban myth that canon cameras work better with sandisk and nikons with lexar and didn't pay any attention to it as this is denied by all 4 companies and there is no reason why this should be so.
Very occasionally (perhaps 1 in 500 images), I would get 1 or 2 corrupted files off my cards. I thought it was the camera at first until I realised it happened on both cameras. Eventually I relise in a eureka like moment that it was happening on the LEXAR cards only, no the Sandisk ones.
After that I gave then to a friend of mine who shoots on Nikons, telling him of the problems and asking him to test them out for me.
He is still using them today without any hint of problems and my problems never reappeared either.
LensYews e2
6 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2010 6:46PM

Quote:I mean, do you really think you're likley to be shooting a sequence of 200 frames at 10fps anytime soon?

No, but a 2 second burst in RAW at 8fps has filled the 7d's buffer using a UDMA CF card which could happen in a real life situation. At 52MBs the buffer is empty again in 13 seconds, which might be important to someone.

I agree for the majority of people an earlier extreme III or IV card will be more than enough.
chinny 10 492 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2010 6:54PM

Quote:I agree for the majority of people an earlier extreme III or IV card will be more than enough.

I used a Sandisk Extreme 4 (4.gb) for shooting video on Monday and found it to be slow at writing data than my SONY 8gb UDMA. on playback I could see that it stuttered and missed a few frames? but I guess it depends on the frame rate /quality etc.

But for stills its fine Smile
LensYews e2
6 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2010 6:55PM
Sorry, meant the buffer was clear again in 7.5 seconds, I was still thinking of the 1d4's 28 RAW burst speeds rather than the 7d's 15 RAW burst. Shoot RAW+JPEG and the burst drops to 6 frames.
canonfan46 e2
5 1.1k United Kingdom
22 Jan 2010 7:29PM
I'm reading this with great interest guys, but not really getting to the nitty gritty as I have no knowledge at all about cards.
I recently got a 7D and I purchased an 8gb Sandisk Extreme UDMA 60MB/s at about 60.
As I am now about to get a few more for for holidays, was this a good choice or would you advise different ?
Just for an amatuer shooting god knows what........
LensYews e2
6 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2010 7:47PM

Quote:I'm reading this with great interest guys, but not really getting to the nitty gritty as I have no knowledge at all about cards.
I recently got a 7D and I purchased an 8gb Sandisk Extreme UDMA 60MB/s at about 60.
As I am now about to get a few more for for holidays, was this a good choice or would you advise different ?
Just for an amatuer shooting god knows what........

Yes, that is a perfectly capable card which you should be able to get around 350 full size images on. You should encounter no problems with it at all.

I was just mentioning that for the less than 1% who might push the camera's burst speeds to the limits in RAW that the latest cards are 2/5 faster than the Extreme IIIs and IVs according to Rob Galbraiths figures. Like Sam says though there is a cost benefit analysis element, a 2gb extreme III at 20 would probably be enough if you are just shooting landscapes, and it would be pointless spending a 160 on the latest card.
mcgannc e2
6 389 3 England
22 Jan 2010 7:48PM
Well I've not had any problems with the Lexar yet, and 8gb for just over 30 seems pretty good value to me...not used it loads but can't fault it so far.

Chris

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.