Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon EOS 7D MkII or EOS 5D MkIII?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    cabbie
    cabbie e2 Member 7cabbie vcard United Kingdom
    12 Nov 2012 - 9:30 PM

Think it's about time to upgrade the trusty 40d but do i wait for the 7d mark 2 or go the full hog and go for the 5d mark111. With limited funds i probably be over stretching the budget and then i won't be able to afford the lenses.Now for the rumour market when can we expect the upgrade for the 7d and having never used a full frame camera will i regret not going the full hog?

Bob

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Nov 2012 - 9:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cabbie
    cabbie e2 Member 7cabbie vcard United Kingdom
    12 Nov 2012 - 9:47 PM

Forgot to say what i have read about the 6d i don't think that's an option

KevSB
    KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Nov 2012 - 9:51 PM

When moving to the full frame you will need good quality lenses as the cheaper lenses just won't cut it with mk3 , you could even see a fall in quality tbh due to this, definetly no improvement from the 4od so will expect you will be disappointed, on the 7d I will let someone with more exsperience on that camera advise but I suspect the same advice will occur.
    Like every thread when this question is asked the answer 90 percent of the time is stick with your 40D and invest in glass, that will make far more difference. In the future you can then upgrade to a later model knowing you have the best glass you can have.

I did this 5 years ago and purchased my first 100-400 lens and best decision I made, won't buy anything other now than L glass. The lens is worth now more than I paid for it and good enought for my 5dmk2 and have got two more sinse then, and suspect I won't be buying another for any years to come.

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Nov 2012 - 10:56 PM

Hi Bob, probably the best advice is to note the things about your 40D that limit you then try and work out which of the new cameras suit you best. Perhaps naff advice, but it is hard to work out a one size fits all solution. I guess given your view on lenses we ought to ask you what lenses you have. The advantage of the 7D is all your lenses will work the same etc. If you have crop lenses then you may be disappointed in the 5D MKIII and EF-S ones will not fit.

I guess one of your thoughts on the 40D is like me its age. Mine is 5 years old, 100 in digital camera years Wink My decision was to just live with it till it breaks and decide then. A cop out I know. I have played with the 7D its a good camera, easy to move to from the 40D and I did not find anything it did not do at least the same if not better. I found the AF improved, once I worked out some of the modes, so be aware it has more adjustments......

Good luck and let me know your choice. Me I was thinking 5D MKII or 7D. I can see the 5D MKIII is better in every respect but it ended up out of my price range. It may be worth waiting to see if the 6D is any better once its price falls. Or you could look to jumping to Nikon, the D600 gets lower in cost each week. I guess it depends on the lenses you have and desire.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315152 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Nov 2012 - 1:44 AM

Quote: I guess one of your thoughts on the 40D is like me its age. Mine is 5 years old

Dosen`t time fly Smile

Get the 7D and treat yourself to a new lens or Holiday with what you save, I doubt you will ever miss not going full frame.

mikehit
    mikehit  56293 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Nov 2012 - 8:54 AM

The 7Dii has been rumoured for ages and there is not even a whisper. OK, I accept Canon are pretty damned good at keeping these things quiet and it may appear at any time but there was a software upgrade for the 7D in August and the release of the 6D has taken the line into full frame which is where people thought the 7Diii would come in.
    Without knowing the lenses you already have, if you 'need' the camera now and need good AF (action, wildlife) then the 7D would be the better bet over the 5Diii, especially as funds are limited. If you are not cropping heavily and not printing huge (30inch plus) then the image quality will be indistinguishable without viewing side-by-side.
    If you need the camera now but do not need top-line AF and do a lot of low light work then get the 5Dii.

puertouk
    puertouk  21063 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Nov 2012 - 8:55 AM

Why not go for the 5D MKII ???? Then enough for your extra lens
    Stephen

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.