Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon EOS D30 - Opinions.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    tom hardwick
    7 Mar 2001 - 1:28 AM

Thing that bugs me is that you pay for expensive EF wideangles with the covering power to encompas the 43mm diagonal of the 35mm frame, then waste
    a lot of it by feeding the much smaller chip. How will we ever afford the 6mm true wideangle idf Canon insist on making it in the EF mount so as not to dissapoint the "backwards compatible" brigade?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Mar 2001 - 1:28 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ianfereday
    ianfereday  13
    8 Aug 2001 - 1:28 AM

There seems to be a diverse set of opinions regarding the EosD30, especially in the US. What do UK Owners think of it?

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England

I would love one. Reviews I've read have been pretty good.
    I have the use of a Fuji S1, which is very nice, but as my SLRs and all my lenses are Canon, the D30 would be a very nice birthday present...

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points

I've just been trying a Sigma 17-35mm lens on the Fuji S1 and it's really good - I will be putting up the test soon. Sigma are producing a wide range of lenses in wider focal lengths that get round the cost issue.

bbdigital
    bbdigital  13
    22 Aug 2001 - 4:42 PM

I have a D30 and like the camera, but don't think it was great value for money. Sure it gives back functionality, but the Coolpix is still on par with the image quality, so the prive is high for what you get.

I do like the fact that with a 1 gig microdrive I have almost unlimited shooting ability and the quality is fine.

I also have a Sigma 17~35, but would like my true focal length back, oh and a 6 million chip.

Anyone interested will find many D30 images on my web site at www.bbdigital.co.uk. go to the last 5 or so galleries for the D30 stuff.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Aug 2001 - 5:48 PM

True Barry, but don't you find the full exposure control more versatile, and the faster focusing more effective? I was able to pull off much better images on the Fuji S1 than I'd had from a compact digital camera.

bbdigital
    bbdigital  13
    23 Aug 2001 - 6:57 PM

I agree the D30 is more versatile than a compact digital, but the original 2000 price is little use without adding a 17~35 zoom, which is another 400 and only then gives a 28mm at the widest.

So, given a good digital like the Coolpix costs 800, 1600 is a lot of money for what you get with the D30 and not any increase in image quality over the Coolpix.

Barry

John W
    John W  12
    28 Oct 2001 - 6:30 PM

I was put off by problems a friend had with dust on the CCD. He is very fussy with his kit so heaven knows what us normal people would suffer. I got my self an E10 Olympus and LOVE it. Not without it's faults but for most of us it really does the bizz.

jameswburke
    15 Sep 2002 - 8:44 PM

I use a Canon D30 SLR daily, mostly for web but some press / brochureware. I was astonished at the quality, having moved from a Canon EOS5. A lot of criticism stems from the rather soft images but Photoshop's unsharp mask (in very small increments) will do a better job than any in-camera cheapo sharpening software solution. See for yourself: Here's a large website entirely shot on my D30: www.bagenalstown-festival.com
    I'd recommend the D30 to anyone with Canon gear.

cheers
    James Burke

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.