Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Canon EOS7D being off-loaded?

Kako e2
8 143
12 Dec 2010 3:46PM
Have just noticed that on the ebay Canon Outlet site, there are lots of EOS7Ds up for 'auction'. This normally happens when a particular model is due for imminent replacement. At the moment it is just lots of 1000Ds and 7Ds. 7D bodies look like they may be going for less than 1k - if anyone is interested.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
12 Dec 2010 3:58PM
I wouldn't expect any sort of 7D replacement for a long while and their appearance on the outlet isn't much to go by, the 5D2 appeared quite a bit too a while back and everyone surmised a replacement , and everyone is still surmising lol , the 7D holds a unique position in the canon lineup and is still a new model. I would expect the 5D3 to be about sooner rather than later prob next year well before a 7d2 ?? and I would also expect a 1Dsmk4 next year too ... the canon rumours website is always good for a bit of harmless speculation if you're bored Wink
User_Removed 5 1.4k England
12 Dec 2010 4:18PM
7D Mark II is flagged for 2012.

600d soon ish,

The new 5D soonish also.
Kako e2
8 143
12 Dec 2010 4:27PM
I agree, the 5D3 is their most urgent need and will probably appear in the next 2-3 months, but I'm not convinced that the 7D is as 'safe' as you imply. Any softening of price on the 7D would impact massively on the new kid on the block - the 60D, which seems to have failed to make much of an impression. As this gets hammered, then that will impact the 550D....and so on down the line.

The problem with the existing Canon line-up is that there are too many over-lapping models, all treading on each others toes. A cull would appear to be long overdue.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
12 Dec 2010 6:08PM

Quote:7D Mark II is flagged for 2012.

Your source would be Photography-on-the-Net perhaps ...???

All unsubstantiated.
12 Dec 2010 6:41PM
No, the regular as clockwork canon release periods.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
12 Dec 2010 7:22PM

Quote:No, the regular as clockwork canon release periods

Ah! Yes! Of course!!!...

Again - unsubstantiated.

(You've never worked in Marketing have you. Wink)

Grin
12 Dec 2010 8:57PM
Mike, just match a nikon and canon release schedule ontop of each other.
It makes sense to put the 7D on a 12-14 quarter update.

Please question the substantiated reliability of my OR in your own head (like everyone else has) and take it at face value before you become captain obvious of the SS obnoxiousness.
pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2010 12:13AM

Quote:No, the regular as clockwork canon release periods

Ah! Yes! Of course!!!...

Again - unsubstantiated.

(You've never worked in Marketing have you. Wink)

Grin

Lol Mike , I have worked in Marketing Smile and know were you're coming from , swwils you need to take a huge dose of salt with your retail rumours , its all just a big game ....
21 Dec 2010 4:34PM
I'm still pondering whether to "upgrade" from my faithful 40D, so is the 7D the best way to go? Lots more pixels for your money, or is there another route? Probably have around 1K to spend after I "cash in" the 40DGrin
geoffash26
10 2.5k United Kingdom
21 Dec 2010 5:47PM

Quote:Lots more pixels for your money

Why you want Pixels??? You print Big Wink
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2010 6:12PM
cheddar-caveman Michael, would you consider and upgrade to Nikon for your wildlife shots.
Or a 5Dmk2 with its shorter reach. Pentax has a cool camera too at the moment but i've heard that longer lenses are harder to find.
Why would you not do the 60D - the plastic case?
I'm interested as also thinking upgrades.
steve_p e2
9 1.1k England
22 Dec 2010 11:27AM
When the 7D was first released I was put off by the usual initial high price. I was considering an upgrade from my 40D, and felt the 50D was not enough of an advance. I decided to wait for the 60D to be released. I didnt realise what a long time it would be, so in March I had a pension plan become ready to cash in. I then splashed the cash on a 7D at a reasonable 1150. What a super camera this is.
I have since tried out a 60D and found it not so easy to use (e.g. no "joystick") but that is something you would get used to.

However although not regretting the 7D purchase one bit, I should have waited for the 60D - the "plastic body" does not bother me.
Its a very good camera IMHO.

Steve
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
22 Dec 2010 9:19PM
i have brought the 7d over the 5d mark2 for many reasons however i am not dismissing the 5d 2 you understand, its just i like lots of choice when it comes to playing with photography and to be honest i like the 7d for the fact i can use the cheaper lens and the more expensive lenses where the 5d2 can only use the more expensive lens.
Personally i like hdr photography and because you get 8fs on the 7d it works well when achieving multiple exposure shots in quick succession.
There is almost limitless photography technics you can play with when it comes to the 7d and what a picture it takes too.
Its been an awful long time since i have seen such a brilliant camera that does every thing and more.
Simply put, an awsom camera and if anyone puts it down its because they can't use it.
Fencer e2
9 13
12 Jan 2012 2:59PM
Ian, I'm in a pretty similar sit. to you. Been putting off buying the 7D just in case - well just in case of what? As a keen wildlife and landscape guy I can't see anything new coming out on the hypothetical 7D(2) that would justify what has to be a considerable price hike over some of the great bargains currently on offer on the 7D or am I missing something? More electronics? I don't need them. More video? Totally disinterested. What then will the temptations be? Another poster points out the traffic jam of Canon models but the 7D seems to punch quite a bit above its weight; I would really love those 8f.p.s., so I think I'll check out the place that's selling the bodies for 740 or so. Might even be less after the current sales gloom.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.