Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon Experience Store

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53627 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jan 2013 - 1:03 PM

Maybe the departure of firms like Jessops is leading to less exposure of the better Canon products direct to the public.

This 'rumour' might address that and act as a direct channel so we can see just how good something is before we buy it.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/01/canon-experience-stores-coming-soon-cr3/
    "Following Apple & Leica….
    Canon will be launching their first “Canon Experience Store” in the coming days. They will start with at least one store in Calgary, Canada and slowly open more stores around the globe. I’m told Canon is buying “heritage” type buildings around Australia for the stores."

At the very least it might make window shopping more fun.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Jan 2013 - 1:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jan 2013 - 1:20 PM

Could that be the future of high street shopping? Only the manufacturers can really control how much an item sells for on the web and in the high street. There was a period of time (late 80s) when Sony (I think) tried to regulate pricing on the high street to stop undercutting. Retailers stopped publishing the price of kit and you had to ask for the price - it don't think it worked, but if retailers were out of the equation - manufacturers could have total control! Maybe that's why Apple have had such success?

Would you prefer to continue to go somewhere that has a choice and make up your own mind or lean towards the Canon, Pentax, Nikon shops? Many of the smaller manufactures may not be able to afford direct high street presence would that give the likes of Canon a monopoly?

Has anyone who's bought Leica on here recently taken a special trip to the Leica store? Would you travel to go and see an Olympus store 100 miles away? Opens up lots of debate.

puertouk
    puertouk  21073 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jan 2013 - 4:27 PM

The trouble when manufacturers get involved with selling their goods, they sell at RRP. The only time you seem to get a discount is if sales are flagging, especially with older items, which they need to move on. Even then the discounts are only paltry. Why can you save hundreds of pounds by purchasing in Hong Kong? Its not all tax!

Also, they have to be very careful in what they say and do, because of restrictive practices, otherwise they can get heavily fined by the EU. You know that restrictive practices go on with camera gear, because if you look at a new camera, its the same price at all the stores! Go and look to purchase a new washing machine or TV etc and you will find varying prices, with some very large differences. So, should camera manufacturers be brought in front of the EU for restrictive practises? Of course they should, we pay far too much for out cameras and equipment and its time the camera manufacturers came to terms with discounts, not just there's, but the stores being able to give discounts.

cathal
    cathal  10492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jan 2013 - 5:07 PM

One sector where brand specific stores have been used forever, is the motor trade. Having worked in the motor trade I don't think this model serves the customer well. It is an industry where the marque tries to control every aspect of the dealer performance and behaviour.

Based on my experience, I am certain that if customers could walk in to a new car showroom and look at new several new cars, from several marques, the purchasing decisions would be different. For example, if customers could look at a new Fiesta, Corsa, Punto, 208, or whatever other small car you can think of side by side, under one roof, I know different buying decisions would be made.

You want a new TV, so you go to a shop, see all the models on display, and pick the one you like best. Imagine having to go to a load of shops to see each individual brand, remember what they are like, and eventually make your choice? Not an enjoyable experience. I'd hate to see that happen to cameras.

Canon employ their own staff (via agencies) to demonstrate their products in store. This gives them an advantage over Pentax, Nikon, etc, and allows customers to get (hopefully) reliable and accurate information at point of sale. That, I believe, is the way forward...

Just heard that all 176 Jessops shops are to shut immediately. Kind of suggests there is no hope of saving them.

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2013 - 11:26 AM

i went in one of the canon stores in kuala lumpur a few years back & i bought a lens for a lot cheaper than i see it anywhere else, so maybe a good thing coming . see it here

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014144 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2013 - 12:55 PM

I am starting to wonder what the point of retail shops is ?
    These days you can buy a lot of stuff direct from the manufacturer on-line. Most of the smaller/newer businesses sell direct and it only tends to be the more established companies with dealer/retail networks who avoid dealing direct. I am starting to think that in future we will just buy everything from the manufacturers, so the idea of a Canon Experience shop seems sensible to me.
    Though they should really go the whole hog and include servicing and loans based on the professional services model to really put the brand ahead.

keith selmes
    12 Jan 2013 - 1:38 PM

Sainsburys gave me discount for a first use of their on line order and delivery service. Then they offered me three free deliveries. It actually works better than going to the store, it's quicker and easier and I can see exactly what it's costing.
    Continuing with this will be tempting even when I have to pay, as savings may cancel the delivery charge.
    So do we even need supermarkets ? If you're able to be in for a timed delivery, all you need is broadband and the regional hub. You probably don't even need a full size computer now.

Reasons for going to shops - some things people want to take home and use straight away, like food and DIY supplies. Some they want to check before buying, like clothes and shoes fitting.
    Then there's the shopping experience. Garden centres have transformed themselves in recent years, the restaurant is a major feature now. Even the city centre bookshop has little tables and chairs area and does hot drinks.

I do think for shops that provide a service in addition to the on line purchase, like expert advice, and/or a pleasing experience, or goods that are heavy or complicated to obtain on line, there is a future.

Whether that works for Canon is another matter. It seems to be still working for Sony, but I think they have a broader range of goods and services than Canon.

Last Modified By keith selmes at 12 Jan 2013 - 1:38 PM
    RichardN00
    12 Jan 2013 - 4:41 PM

I suppose the thinking is, if it works for Apple it will work for Canon, the question is Canon a premium enough brand to use the same sales model?

It all depends on the expertise of the sales assistants, if they're just salesdroids driven by targets and KPIs then it will fail, if they are knowledgeable, helpful and enthusiastic then it might just work

ChuckBrix
    ChuckBrix  9126 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Jan 2013 - 9:19 PM

Demise of Jessops. Mention has been made of Apple Stores in UK.

I have had many visits to one particular Apple store in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Their staff are brilliant, talk about enthusiastic about their product, I even spoke with one guy who was across from Sweden on a training exercise.
    Would Jessops staff have had that level of training, I very much doubt it.

I had an Apple Genius Bar appointment for an iPhone 5 query, I was given a time slot, then seen on time and the situation sorted.

Which of our other National electronic electrical camera TV retailers could do the same, probably only John Lewis could stand comparison.

Will I miss Jessops, probably not, but I do miss their rival Jacobs though, they operated on a different higher level.

Quite where this now leaves mainstream UK dealers, who knows. Keep our fingers crossed for Wex, Mifsuds, Park and the others who advertise in the likes of AP magazine.

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Jan 2013 - 10:16 PM

At least Jessops had a cash till - I do love an Apple Store though.

User_Removed
    12 Jan 2013 - 10:24 PM

My nephew had a problem with his iPhone, popped into the Carphone Warehouse and they sorted it out on the spot, no genius needed, no appointment even, sooo amazing Smile

Like an Apple Store without the bull Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 12 Jan 2013 - 10:26 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.