Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon FD lenses to EOS mounts

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    andyf3050
    andyf3050 e2 Member andyf3050 vcard United Kingdom
    14 Sep 2013 - 7:54 AM

Am I right to think that I can fit FD lenses (and other types possibly) to my Canon 400d with an adaptor ring? I know the auto focus function won't operate in most cases but if it is possible it would increase my lens options until I can afford to invest in EOS specific lenses. If anyone can give me any advice on this I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Sep 2013 - 7:54 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chris.maddock
    14 Sep 2013 - 10:40 AM

You can indeed - with the EOS mount having a larger throat diameter then most other lens mounts and a longer register distance (between the front of the mount and the film/sensor plane) there are a lot of options for fitting alternative lenses.

As you already appreciate, you won't get autofocus - nor will you get any aperture control so you need to ensure that any alternative lens has its own aperture control too. There are some exceptions - one of which is Nikon G-series lenses, which are controlled by the (Nikon) camera so have no aperture control ring on the lens but for which there is an mount adapter available which provides aperture control.

You will probably be best off shooting in manual mode, metering can sometimes work OK but I've found it to be somewhat hit and miss - could be because I've been using a Nikon 14-24/f2.8 on Canon cameras and the large field of view may be confusing the meter. Manual exposure sorts it, though Wink

Last Modified By chris.maddock at 14 Sep 2013 - 10:41 AM
    MichaelMelb_AU
    14 Sep 2013 - 12:12 PM

FD lenses need an adaptor with optical element in it, otherwise they will not focus to infinity. This sort of adaptor, if quality one, is expensive. If you have a large collection of nice FDs that can make sense though. In case you considering options buying old lenses - the best candidate would be a lens with M42 thread mount (Praktica,Zenit, Pentax and a lot of others). They will only need a simple cheap ring adaptor and will focus in all diapason that you will see on their distance ring. The camera needs to be in Av or manual mode.

parallax
    parallax e2 Member 4106 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
    15 Sep 2013 - 12:26 AM

Try The Lens Doctor.

His adaptors are machined and built to exacting standards.

http://www.thelensdoctor.co.uk/page14.html

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.