Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon Flash 600EX and 7D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Dingus
Dingus e2 Member 129 forum postsDingus vcard Scotland
5 Apr 2013 - 10:28 AM

HELP. I'm confused.

Can someone shine some light (Not flash) for me.

If I'm correct, the Canon 7D can operate the 580EX without any other equipement. Can it also operate the 600EX on it's own or must it have something like the STE3-RT?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Apr 2013 - 10:28 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SteveHunter
5 Apr 2013 - 10:47 AM

The 7D can operate the 600EX remotely without any additional equipment.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7727 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2013 - 10:53 AM

There's a decent article on the Pros and Cons of the various current Canon Speedlights here. From a swift browse of that it appears the 600EX sits at the top of Canon's flash range and has more advanced wireless function.

Hope that answers your question.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72144 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2013 - 10:54 AM

You can use the 600ex on (7D)camera without any other equipment.
The STE3-RT is a transmitter you fit to your hotshoe, when using the flash off-camera, which transmits a radio signal to the 600EX.

Philh04
Philh04  855 forum posts
5 Apr 2013 - 11:07 AM

The 7D can control the 600EX remotely but using the optical remote only, not the wireless remote....

HTH

SteveHunter
5 Apr 2013 - 11:07 AM

Let me attempt to clarify.

There are 2 different methods for triggering the flash Off Camera, One is via an optical signal, the other is via a radio signal. The 7D has the capability to trigger the flash using an optical signal, i.e the on board flash on the 7D flashes a few times sending a signal to the Remote flashes telling them what to do. The 600EX has the Optical slave functionality so will work remotely via this method.

The other method is via a Radio signal, personally I think this is more reliable, and certainly has more range. Things like Softboxes tend to get in the way of optical signals. The 600EX has the capability to listen for a radio signal, but the 7D doesn't have the capability to transmit it, which is where the STE3-RT comes in.

Dingus
5 Apr 2013 - 11:22 AM

Thanks everyone. Appriciate your help

mikehit
mikehit  46171 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2013 - 11:28 AM

Would the STE3-RT have any advantage over 3rd-party ETTL transmitters from companies like Hahnel? It seems a very expensive option to me

SteveHunter
5 Apr 2013 - 11:54 AM

Quote: Would the STE3-RT have any advantage over 3rd-party ETTL transmitters from companies like Hahnel? It seems a very expensive option to me

I thought a similar thing when I saw the price of the flash.

I don't have the 600 but I do have the 580 EX which was bought for me as a present, alongside that I use Yongnuo flash guns as they only cost 50.00 and as far as I can tell are just as good. I use the Yongnuo radio triggers with them as well

Last Modified By SteveHunter at 5 Apr 2013 - 11:55 AM
arhb
arhb e2 Member 72144 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2013 - 12:08 PM

Quote: Would the STE3-RT have any advantage over 3rd-party ETTL transmitters from companies like Hahnel? It seems a very expensive option to me

I think that Canon are just getting up to speed with the current radio frequency offerings Mike, and like the 600EX, the STE3-RT is over-priced when compared to what Yongnuo and similar have to offer.
They are probably capable of some unique and wonderful tricks, that the likes of Joe McNally et all will master, and demo in their next strobist publication Wink

ChrisV
5 Apr 2013 - 12:18 PM

I've got a 430EXII and access to a 580EXII* at work . The main difference I can see between those two is that the 580EX recycles far more quickly than its little brother [it's also better built, and has more range and more sophisticated controls. Canon flashes do seem pricey for what you get. My 430 seems very pricey for something fairly limited and not particularly sturdy-feeling.

[*as well as an STE2 -I think that's a very expensive IR transmitter for older cameras/those without inbuilt flash [like all of Canon's 35mm formatters apart from maybe the 6D - can its wireless be used for remote flash?], but we've never used it because me haven't got the expensive lithium cell to put in it!]

Anyone got any tips for a faster compatible third party offering? Is your Yongnuo capable of being used as a slave/controller?

mikehit
5 Apr 2013 - 12:40 PM

The Yonguo 560-II costs around 50 can't be used as a master though can be used as an optical slave. The new, more expensive 565 (about 100) can be used as a master, has E-TTL wireless and I gather can also be radio-triggered.
I went the whole hog and got a 560-II to go with my Canon 580EX-ii and 4-trigger set of the Yonguo RC-602 radio triggers.

Other options are Metz and Nisson but they are more expensive than the Yongnuo and the latter seems to me to be like a 580 clone. However its recycle time from full-power flash is not as quick as the Canon.

Last Modified By mikehit at 5 Apr 2013 - 12:41 PM
ChrisV
5 Apr 2013 - 2:23 PM

Cheers, Mike. I'm not seeing anything in the spec that suggests the 565 can be used as a master, but it does look fairly powerful and can be used with an external power pack [for faster recycling?] At just over 100 from Amazon, it looks like a steal. Temptation is biting... I could do with an additional flash anyway [for second body].

Last Modified By ChrisV at 5 Apr 2013 - 2:24 PM
mikehit
5 Apr 2013 - 2:38 PM

My mistake - it was rumoured at first .
Here is a god summary of the 565: http://speedlights.net/2011/08/28/yongnuo-yn-565-ex-flash-review/#Compatible-Mas...

There is also the 568 which recycles pretty quickly (3 secs) and is slightly more at 125.

Dingus
18 Apr 2013 - 11:13 PM

I'm like a sponge looking at all the comments.
Glad I asked the question.
I'm also glad I've got you guys debating the pros and cons, which is always good as it airs opinions and educates the likes of me.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.