Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon flash parts

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Talon
    Talon  885 forum posts
    6 Jan 2008 - 9:50 AM

Hi all my camera toppled over last night just rolled over my speedlight 580EX was on top and snap the bloody shoe of the flash snapped off , is there any where I can get parts from I have taken a look and the part that has broken the whole bottom just screws off so all i need is a replacement part ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Jan 2008 - 9:50 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mark_delta
    6 Jan 2008 - 10:38 AM

Welcome to the broken 580ex flash club.
    However all is not lost, it can be repaired for 15 .
    buy a very good set of precision screw drivers.
    Buy a canon "of shoe extension cord",
    remove the bottom shoe from the extension cord, strip it completely down.
    beware you are dealing with springs,,,
    next
    strip down the bottom of the flash area, by undoing the 4 screws on the bottom of the flash, undo the tiny wire connector.
    remove the small circuit board and you can release the shoe mount, replace it with the one from the off shoe cord you have stripped down, making sure its the right way around now the very important bit, remove the most forward centre pin, the one on its own it will not release itself from the camera and you can just tighten the thumb wheel to keep the flash on the camera,
    replace the other pins, re-assemble
    you need to lock the screws in with something, a small amount of white silicone works a treat or they will and do work loose very quickly.
    replace the small circuit board and upper mount.
    put it back on the flash, test ... if it works, then remove the upper mount screws 1x1 and add a tiny amount of silicone to each thread.
    Next !
    be more careful next time.
    A off shoe cord can be bought at around 15 on e,bay

Last Modified By mark_delta at 6 Jan 2008 - 10:47 AM
    Talon
    Talon  885 forum posts
    6 Jan 2008 - 1:27 PM

Quote: Welcome to the broken 580ex flash club.
    However all is not lost, it can be repaired for 15 .
    buy a very good set of precision screw drivers.
    Buy a canon "of shoe extension cord",
    remove the bottom shoe from the extension cord, strip it completely down.
    beware you are dealing with springs,,,
    next
    strip down the bottom of the flash area, by undoing the 4 screws on the bottom of the flash, undo the tiny wire connector.
    remove the small circuit board and you can release the shoe mount, replace it with the one from the off shoe cord you have stripped down, making sure its the right way around now the very important bit, remove the most forward centre pin, the one on its own it will not release itself from the camera and you can just tighten the thumb wheel to keep the flash on the camera,
    replace the other pins, re-assemble
    you need to lock the screws in with something, a small amount of white silicone works a treat or they will and do work loose very quickly.
    replace the small circuit board and upper mount.
    put it back on the flash, test ... if it works, then remove the upper mount screws 1x1 and add a tiny amount of silicone to each thread.
    Next !
    be more careful next time.
    A off shoe cord can be bought at around 15 on e,bay

thanks Mark I will try this as a last resort but would prefer to get the proper parts there must be a way of getting them especially as this seems to be a common problem ?

samfurlong
    6 Jan 2008 - 8:07 PM

Or take it to a good independant camera repairers. I use Black on White in Bristol and for precisely this repair they charged me the princley sum of 25 all in!
    Took 3 days to get the part in and they fitted it in about 10 mins.

Talon
    Talon  885 forum posts
    6 Jan 2008 - 10:17 PM

can anyone recommend a good repair place for this then .. I live in Gillingham in Kent

Talon
    Talon  885 forum posts
    9 Jan 2008 - 11:47 PM

Well got it fixed got the part from fixation excellent price and service cost me 12 in all thanks all

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.