Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Canon G12 viewfinder

daveathome 2 23
13 Apr 2013 4:25AM
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how you go about using the viewfinder on the G12 as it doesnt display any exposure info etc??? I know I can see it all and adjust etc on the LCD screen but is there no way of using it just thru the viewfinder as you would with a normal DSLR?
Thanks in advance!
ps I also have the Canon 650d (T4i) which I am very happy with but even on that I always use the viewfinder and not the Screen! I think it stems from when I had an OM10 in the "old days".

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
13 Apr 2013 7:42AM
as far as i know you can't. i don't ever use it, i just use the screen you can see more on the screen anyway.
sausage 10 287 United Kingdom
13 Apr 2013 7:50AM
I believe it is just a viewfinder.
You can't, its just optical, no electronics built in. Essentially a piece of glass built through the camera
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
13 Apr 2013 9:25AM
Its just a viewfinder - nothing more. And to be blunt a pretty cr@p one at that. I find I use the screen nearly always on mine - and to be honest it hasn't proved the uncomfortable problem I anticipated. The screen being articulated ends up actually giving you far more freedom than the viewfinder alone ever would.
alansnap e2
10 529 23 United Kingdom
13 Apr 2013 6:38PM
It's just an optical viewfinder. It only gives an approximate view of what will be in the shot. It's really only there for use in very contrasts conditions when the screen is hard to see.
Alan
daveathome 2 23
14 Apr 2013 10:14AM
Thanks for that everyone! I must say that if I had known that when buying it I probably would have gone straight for 650D because I am a big fan of the viewfinder and rarely use the screen. I now have the G12 and the 650d which is a bit extravagant really but there you go...anyone else have 2 similar cameras and do you use them????
iancrowson e2
4 211 129 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2013 6:55PM
Yes I have a DSLR and a compact I can put in a coat pocket. The compact is good for street photography as it's discreet. It's useful for say a family night out where I don't want the burden of a bigger camera. Or being out at night where you do't want an expensive looking bit of kit on show. Lots of people have two or more and use them in different ways so don't feel too extravagant.
My wife has a cannon G12 and whilst the view finder is of limited use and used only when the screen can't be seen the vari screen is very useful especially for low down photos or candids.
mgh 2 2 Australia
12 May 2013 12:19PM
I am still using my Canon G9 - very good for a quick photo when it's too much trouble to unship my Panasonic G3 and change lenses. The only real problem with the viewfinder is in very close work - as you are looking through a different aperture, what gets captured is below where you are looking.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.