Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon G12 viewfinder

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    daveathome
    13 Apr 2013 - 4:25 AM

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how you go about using the viewfinder on the G12 as it doesnt display any exposure info etc??? I know I can see it all and adjust etc on the LCD screen but is there no way of using it just thru the viewfinder as you would with a normal DSLR?
    Thanks in advance!
    ps I also have the Canon 650d (T4i) which I am very happy with but even on that I always use the viewfinder and not the Screen! I think it stems from when I had an OM10 in the "old days".

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Apr 2013 - 4:25 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Apr 2013 - 7:42 AM

as far as i know you can't. i don't ever use it, i just use the screen you can see more on the screen anyway.

sausage
    sausage  10241 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Apr 2013 - 7:50 AM

I believe it is just a viewfinder.

Christographer_Hull

You can't, its just optical, no electronics built in. Essentially a piece of glass built through the camera

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82324 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Apr 2013 - 9:25 AM

Its just a viewfinder - nothing more. And to be blunt a pretty cr@p one at that. I find I use the screen nearly always on mine - and to be honest it hasn't proved the uncomfortable problem I anticipated. The screen being articulated ends up actually giving you far more freedom than the viewfinder alone ever would.

alansnap
    alansnap e2 Member 10529 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Apr 2013 - 6:38 PM

It's just an optical viewfinder. It only gives an approximate view of what will be in the shot. It's really only there for use in very contrasts conditions when the screen is hard to see.
    Alan

daveathome
    14 Apr 2013 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for that everyone! I must say that if I had known that when buying it I probably would have gone straight for 650D because I am a big fan of the viewfinder and rarely use the screen. I now have the G12 and the 650d which is a bit extravagant really but there you go...anyone else have 2 similar cameras and do you use them????

iancrowson
    iancrowson e2 Member 4211 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom129 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2013 - 6:55 PM

Yes I have a DSLR and a compact I can put in a coat pocket. The compact is good for street photography as it's discreet. It's useful for say a family night out where I don't want the burden of a bigger camera. Or being out at night where you do't want an expensive looking bit of kit on show. Lots of people have two or more and use them in different ways so don't feel too extravagant.
    My wife has a cannon G12 and whilst the view finder is of limited use and used only when the screen can't be seen the vari screen is very useful especially for low down photos or candids.

Last Modified By iancrowson at 14 Apr 2013 - 6:58 PM
    mgh
    mgh  2 Australia
    12 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

I am still using my Canon G9 - very good for a quick photo when it's too much trouble to unship my Panasonic G3 and change lenses. The only real problem with the viewfinder is in very close work - as you are looking through a different aperture, what gets captured is below where you are looking.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.