Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon G15 RAW files

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    PaulJD
    PaulJD  6 United Kingdom
    15 Oct 2012 - 11:44 AM

I have been using RAW files for years now with my Nikon DSLRs and Photoshop CS4 and now CS5.

A few weeks ago I bought a new Canon G15 as a more portable option, my version of CS5 won't read the RAW files from this camera because (as I assume) it's too new, and the latest ACR seems to be for CS6 only. So having heard of the Adobe DNG converter, I downloaded it from the website, however when I attempt to select the images for conversion (ie the Canon RAW files) I select the folder they are in but the program sees it as empty and displays "no items match your search" so obviously at the moment these files are unusable to me.

Does anyone know why this happens and how can I solve the problem, as one of the main reasons for buying the compact was it's ability to shoot in RAW, or is it that as I suspect, that as yet the camera is still too new for the ACR and DNG programs to catch up and issue the relevant update, so I'll just have to wait.

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Oct 2012 - 11:44 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mrcal
    mrcal  101032 forum posts
    15 Oct 2012 - 12:32 PM

You could use the DPP software that came with the camera. The current incarnation is pretty effective.

mlewis
    mlewis  91475 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 Oct 2012 - 12:49 PM

You'll have to wait before Adobe products can read thse RAW files.

PaulJD
    PaulJD  6 United Kingdom
    15 Oct 2012 - 7:51 PM

Yes i'll give their software a go I think
    Thanks

Keebsuk
    Keebsuk Junior Member 132 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Oct 2012 - 4:42 PM

I agree with mrcal, Canon DPP software is actually very good.

Andy

User_Removed
    16 Oct 2012 - 6:06 PM

Paul, you might find it a bit unintuitive at first. Have a look at the DPP workflow videos on YouTube.

I think you'll find these incredibly useful

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Oct 2012 - 6:34 PM

i use canon's dpp all the time now, and just use photoshop just to add a border & layers now.

capto
    capto e2 Member 2989 forum postscapto vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Oct 2012 - 11:04 PM

Quote: I have been using RAW files for years now with my Nikon DSLRs and Photoshop CS4 and now CS5.

A few weeks ago I bought a new Canon G15 as a more portable option, my version of CS5 won't read the RAW files from this camera because (as I assume) it's too new, and the latest ACR seems to be for CS6 only. So having heard of the Adobe DNG converter, I downloaded it from the website, however when I attempt to select the images for conversion (ie the Canon RAW files) I select the folder they are in but the program sees it as empty and displays "no items match your search" so obviously at the moment these files are unusable to me.

Does anyone know why this happens and how can I solve the problem, as one of the main reasons for buying the compact was it's ability to shoot in RAW, or is it that as I suspect, that as yet the camera is still too new for the ACR and DNG programs to catch up and issue the relevant update, so I'll just have to wait.

Thanks

Paul

I am in a similar position having just got a 650D and using cs5. I use the dng converter. What works for me is ,I first create a folder on the desktop, find the files on the memory card and drag them into the new folder. Open dng converter and select the new folder, then make any settings for where to save to etc. then click convert. The new dng files then open in cs5 ACR and can be processed as usual.
    Hope this works for you. If not maybe adobe have not caught up with the G15.

VTPyzon
    VTPyzon  1
    22 Oct 2012 - 1:37 PM

I have this exact problem. I just purchased a G15 and would like to shoot RAW.

I posted on the Adobe forums and got a range of answers. The short term solution for me is to shoot Jpeg.

Adobe Camera RAW supports the CR2 format used in the G15 for the G10, 11, and 12, but not the G15 camera. I suspect that the program queries the camera and when it doesn't find it on the supported list, stops processing. It probably could read the CR2 format just fine.

I hope that Adobe will release a fix soon, since it doesn't seem like huge change.

In the meantime, I'm exploring the great in camera processing for Jpeg's.

User_Removed
    22 Oct 2012 - 6:19 PM

Quote: I'm exploring the great in camera processing for Jpeg

Use Canon DPP and you can use the same processing out of camera on your computer screen with your raw files.

raymondelee
    29 Dec 2012 - 3:10 PM

Try downloading/upgrading your DNG converter to 7.3

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.