Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon G9...good or bad?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Steve_Atkins
    9 Dec 2007 - 9:09 PM

I'm thinking of getting a Canon G9 for quick snaps with RAW... not expecting the quality to be anywhere near full frame sensor.

Anyone else using a G9?... good or bad?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Dec 2007 - 9:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    9 Dec 2007 - 9:13 PM

I have heard it is good and is very well built but i have not used one myself. It came out top in a review against other compacts a few months ago. james

floreus
    floreus  9106 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2007 - 9:23 PM

I think it's a complete waste of money. The images are so digitalised it's painful. In fact I'm going to sell mine if I can keep my mouth shut about the quality.

nikon
    nikon e2 Member 1097 forum postsnikon vcard England
    9 Dec 2007 - 9:32 PM

I've had one now for three days, not full conversant with all of the features but early signes are promising. It appears to be a great little pocket camera great for a day out with the grand children, or just grabbing whatever catches your eye. I have had a few pocket cameras over the past few years and this seems to be a cut above the average when you dont want to lug a DSLR system about with you.

Dave.

leeroe
    leeroe  11229 forum posts England
    9 Dec 2007 - 11:37 PM

Buy it you will love it !! had mine a month now, and the 40d hasnt been out in weeks, I love the images it produces, and all the bells and whistles are great if and when you wish to use them.
    Downside: spent nearly 60 quid on different bags/pouches/cases to find one that was compact enough to have it on my belt for everyday carry, but eventually found a Lowepro....... erm........ bugger forgot which model now and its downstairs, will let you know later on. Sorry guys n gals.

All in all its an awesome compact (allbeit larger) camera.

pcheywood
    pcheywood  81300 forum posts England
    10 Dec 2007 - 12:23 AM

It was high on my hitlist, but after the pathetic viewfinder on my A620, and the G9 having the same 'tunnel', I bought myself a Ricoh GX100.

Fabulous build quality, and a great electronic viewfinder with the real bonus (swung the deal for me) of the 24mm equivalent lens with a step mode for the zoom (24-28-35-50-72). Add the snap focus mode, DNG rawfiles, near instant access to all adjustments and lots of other features not apparent on other compacts.

Just have to learn to use it properly now. Smile

Paul.

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
    10 Dec 2007 - 12:26 AM

Quote: The images are so digitalised it's painful.

All my photos are 100% digitalised, have been for years. Smile

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Dec 2007 - 12:31 AM

Oh dear - all the photos on EPZ have been digitalised (or even digitised!)

Isn't that awful! Grin

MediumSizeUnavailable

so err Vee, how much do you want for that crappy thingie. I might be interested; mind you though, can't give you too much for it... the results being so painfully digitalised and all that he he Wink

Think you actually just may have problems adjusting from using the 5D Vee. I had (have) the same problems, be it the other way around. It's just where you come from, and what you were used to I think. Don't try to imitate your 5D photos. I'm pretty sure the results of my A95 are just as 'digital' as the G9, if not more. But many photos I took with it, I'm quite happy with, and some of the ones that still now are among my personal favs I took with the A95, and more important, I probably would never have taken with the 5D, as I probably just wouldn't have carried the heavy thing with me at the time (had I had it back then).

Last Modified By MediumSizeUnavailable at 10 Dec 2007 - 6:47 AM
    Steve_Atkins
    10 Dec 2007 - 9:45 AM

Thanks everyone, I never expected such a wide opinion - so it appears the G9 is both good and bad...

Are you all shooting the G9 with RAW?...I'm just wondering if the 'digitised' aspect is from shooting jpegs?

Also, are G9 images usable for the likes of Alamy etc? (not that the G9 is taking place of my 5D/ film outfit).

Thanks

snapper4
    snapper4  6
    10 Dec 2007 - 10:45 AM

friend has one - shoots raw and swears by it - says its a good camera - better than leika etc

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.