Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon G9, is it the Daddy?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Sus
Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2007 - 2:05 AM

well with all this discussion of the 40D, I was just thinking maybe the G9 looks like a hot bit of compact kit. I've got a G7 and and an Ixus, never been entirely satisfied with either of them, the G7 is clunky and slow, and the NOISE at anything above ISO 100 is baad. The ixus is fast, but seems to lose lose detail with dynamic range.

So... the first of you to get hold of the G9, what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Sep 2007 - 2:05 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikesavage
mikesavage  12239 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2007 - 2:27 AM

If the noise on the G7 was bad, then don't expect any improvement with the G9 - they've bumped the pixel count up from 10MP to 12MP haven't they?

Personally I think Canon are letting themselves down with the G-series, constantly upping the pixel count like that. It doesn't lead to a better camera or better photographs.

Last Modified By mikesavage at 7 Sep 2007 - 2:28 AM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315335 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2007 - 2:36 AM

I don`t know Mike, don`t think the G9 will be any worse than any other prosumer. Remember its not just pixel count thats increasing, its processing power inproves as well.

Sus I`m still using a pro 1, noise gets pretty bad as you up the iso. Once you understand there limitations there capable of good results.

MeanGreeny
7 Sep 2007 - 8:45 AM

Buy yourself a 2nd hand G6 or maybe a G3. Thats the two models that the Canon G series forum voted for [G7 was a 3rd] in terms of capability and image quality.

Brom
Brom  9804 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Sep 2007 - 9:32 AM

looks incredibly noisy at iso 400 god knows what it will be like at 1600

KatieR
KatieR  106197 forum posts6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2007 - 10:48 AM

Brom, is that something you saw in a review?

Jools_jti
Jools_jti  8257 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Sep 2007 - 11:09 AM

I used to have a G5 and found it the best compact yet, the rotating screen for protection and the RAW option. Good to see RAW return with the G9 but am holding back yet, on getting one.

Assyrian
Assyrian  7132 forum posts Scotland
7 Sep 2007 - 2:09 PM

I just don't understand why there is still a pixel race on with compacts. It still happens with DSLR's too but to a lesser extent. It wasn't that long ago that the 8MP bridge cameras were being slated for the noise and general opinion seemed to hold that 6MP was enough for a compact. Now we're at 12MP.... I'd go for a D40 or similar instead and just use the scene modes.

I suppose the general market for compacts doesn't know too much about cameras and it doesn't help when they continually get told that more MP's means better quality in shops.

randomrubble
7 Sep 2007 - 2:14 PM

I quite like to have the option of taking noisy pics. Smile

Sus
7 Sep 2007 - 2:37 PM

Sorry, I meant I had a G6 not a G7, this is what I mean though, its highly rated, by everyone but me!

Agree about the pixels, but am hoping they have improved the processing as well.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315335 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2007 - 9:00 PM

I believe the processing has improved in the G9 somewhat, images from the older models often still clean up pretty well Smile

scapegoat
scapegoat  7
9 Sep 2007 - 11:28 PM

Quote: Now we're at 12MP.... I'd go for a D40 or similar instead and just use the scene modes.

I agree the D40 is probably better value but its hardly compact. As I already have a 20d and a 5d
the G9 looks great as something I can keep with me at all times. So I've taken the plunge and ordered one. I'll report back when it arrives.

floreus
floreus  9106 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2007 - 11:33 PM

I thught the same and ordered one too. 325 from amazon.co.uk (after cancelling my order at warehouse express 429!!!). Where have you ordered yours from and for how much as it's not too late to cancel the amazon order if it's cheaper elsewhere?

Sus
9 Sep 2007 - 11:36 PM

I will probably get the 40D, or wait for some of the features to filter down to the 400D replacement (still love my 350D and its small size). But I can wait for that. I would really like a decent compact though.. interested to hear how you get on scapegoat.

Paul Morgan
10 Sep 2007 - 12:11 AM

These bridge camera`s do have there failing`s but make up in other respects.

Thats a pretty good price from Amazon Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.