Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon G9, is it the Daddy?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

simonradburn
18 Sep 2007 - 9:23 PM

I asked a Canon rep about the forthcoming possibility of a G series camera with an APS-C sensor he said it was on the cards. But gave no indication as to when. Could be another 2 to 3yrs.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Sep 2007 - 9:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Little Jo
Little Jo e2 Member 132272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
18 Sep 2007 - 9:39 PM

The reason I haven't replaced the G3 is that later models had higher pixel counts, but lacked noise control and image quality. Just because I may want to 'travel light' on occasion doesn't mean I want noisy photos afflicted with chromatic abberation.

I suppose I'm after a competant compact with good AF, plenty of manual control, compatibility with my Canon flashguns, with good image quality. I await the verdict of other members before parting with my cash.

Jo

domhenry
domhenry  7111 forum posts England
19 Sep 2007 - 12:16 AM

Having had a good old fiddle with it here are some G9 points for you to consider when fingering your cash:

> Annoyingly no printed manual, it comes as a pdf on a CD
> High ISOs e.g. 800 / 1600 / 3200 are exceedingly noisy
> SRGB only, Adobe RGB would have been nice
> You'll definitely need the bayonet fit WA attachment if you're into landscapes that 38-200 equiv zoom really won't be wide enough for you.
> The camera view mode syncs oddly with flourescent strip lighting, causing the subject to pulse gently on screen

> Great build quality, all alloy frame
> Oodles of preset scene options selectable via SCN on the dial
> Really pleased with the 1cm Macro results!
> Image stabiliser works a treat, you'd be amazed at the shutter speeds you can get away with
> minimum aperture of f8 is in practice not that bad for distance, seems compacts are a different kettle of fish from 35mm so f22 etc doesn't really compare
> 2nd curtain option on the flash works with my speedlights, hurrah!

I'm pleased with it, feels nice to use with it's classic styling, a well thought out interface and great for fairly well lit conditions, not good in very murky ones though.

The daylight daddy.

Last Modified By domhenry at 19 Sep 2007 - 12:37 AM
Sus
Sus  103183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2007 - 12:32 AM

It seems as though high ISOs are a failing in many of these compact cameras. They promise the earth... then don't quite deliver. Is that the high pixel count or the small sensor size to blame I wonder?

Still looks like a good buy,

Little Jo
19 Sep 2007 - 11:38 AM

Has anyone come across any reviews on the G9 yet? Nothing on dpreview yet.

Jo

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2007 - 12:21 PM

There are some less than flattering comments here!

Little Jo
19 Sep 2007 - 1:20 PM

The reviews on CNET aren't that bad - the first manufacturer, be it Canon, Nikon or someone else who made a really good digital compact without some of these drawbacks are going to make a fortune. I'd rather have fewer noddy modes and have a better lens/image quality instead.

In some ways, enthusiast photographers who don't need special modes are being short-changed.

Jo

scapegoat
scapegoat  7
20 Sep 2007 - 9:59 PM

[quote]Has anyone come across any reviews on the G9 yet? Nothing on dpreview yet.

There's quite a good review here
http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4599/camera-test-canon-powershot-g9.html

Little Jo
20 Sep 2007 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for that! Still not sure whether it will drive me nuts or not. My G3 did after I'd used a digital EOS. When I was using it alongside film cameras, it didn't feel quite so bad.

I'd still like to see an advanced compact without the noddy modes altogether.

Jo

samfurlong
20 Sep 2007 - 10:29 PM

I still have a canon powershotS69 for my hols when I leave my SLR gear at home, I do on occasion wish I had the nice kit but generally I can't complain, the powershot is great.

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
21 Sep 2007 - 8:13 PM

Quote: small sensor size to blame I wonder?

According to the tech details on the Canon site, the G9 has a 'large' (their words) 1" x 1.7" sensor (approx. 25mm X 41mm ) - this is bigger than a full frame sensor !

(Unless I've read it wrong)

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315622 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Sep 2007 - 8:24 PM

Quote: Unless I've read it wrong

I believe you have Smile

There are other powershots with even larger sensors.

Blenkinsopp
21 Sep 2007 - 8:59 PM

Got the G9 last Tuesday and am quite pleased with it so far but haven't had much time to use it. Unfortunately I am waiting for a replacement for the faulty 2Gb SD card in the bundle so I'm using the tiny card included in "box contents"
One problem I have is with RAW conversion as its not supported by the popular programs/plug ins yet.
Any suggestions ?
Low ISO jpegs show good colour and detail and I'm very pleased with the manual controls - its the only compact that I have managed to manually focus well. IS seems to be very effective too as I am really bad at holding a camera still but have managed some sharp captures at relatively slow shutter speeds

scapegoat
scapegoat  7
21 Sep 2007 - 10:07 PM

Quote: Quote:small sensor size to blame I wonder?According to the tech details on the Canon site, the G9 has a 'large' (their words) 1" x 1.7" sensor (approx. 25mm X 41mm ) - this is bigger than a full frame sensor !

(Unless I've read it wrong)

I think its actually a tiny 7.60mm x 5.70mm
How they fit 12million pixels on one sensor that size and wire them all together I don't know.
Mine arrives tomorrow. Can't wait.

scapegoat
scapegoat  7
23 Sep 2007 - 11:59 PM

Just posted some G9 pics atlink removed by epz - sorry against site T&Cs - please feel free to use the gallery Wink

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 24 Sep 2007 - 7:23 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.