Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Canon i9950

ckristoff e2
10 959 Wales
3 Apr 2010 3:48PM
Dear friends,

I wonder if you can help me please?

My i9950 printer, all of a sudden is printing photos that have a very weak purple tint.

Strangely enough, using DPP and PS CS, the image looks fine on screen, but the printed result has this purple tint.

I've gone into my printer's maintenance screen for the first time, done a deep clean on all nozzles. When I printed the test print pages, they look fine, but looking at my 8 ink print out, I notice today that the yellow is either very weak or non-existent.

Before I try again to clean the nozzles, does anyone know if I can individually clean just the nozzle for the yellow ink?

I'm also wondering about buying a monitor calibration software kit. Which one would be able to control both the monitor and the printer please? My printer has been upgraded to using Windows 7 by the way.

Frank.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 1.4k England
3 Apr 2010 4:16PM
You can just keep running nozzle clean/head priming routines until it fixes itself.

Most likely the small vacuum in the reservoir for yellow has failed and it will need a series of reheats/cool downs to get back to normal.

Could even be a failure of the heating element inside the nozzles if it does not activate at all.

You may be able to find a spare print head, but it is likely to cost more than an entire new printer.

A3 format printers are super cheap.
dcash29 e2
9 2.0k England
3 Apr 2010 6:02PM
Frank

Purchase some isopropal alcohol plus a can of compressed air
Remove the cartridges and head from the machine
Fill the cartridge bays up with the liquid, leave on a cloth and steel tray over night
Drain the liquid, and blow the remainder into the cloth.
Refit and do a nozzel clean

Dave
ckristoff e2
10 959 Wales
3 Apr 2010 9:04PM
Swwils and dcash29,

thank you both so much for your kind replies.

I'm not sure that I fully understand what you're advising, I'll get my son to help!Wink

Frank.
User_Removed 5 1.4k England
4 Apr 2010 12:06AM
The small "jets" in canon printers rely on a small vacuum inside each one in order to function. A tiny electronic component each heats to "enlarge" said vacuum area and this forces a bubble of ink out onto the paper.

An entire colour not printing usually means the control electronics are suspect or the ink feed is blocked - as its very unlikely all jets would have malfunctioned simultaneously. - This is why I lean towards a replacement of head or as dcash29 has suggested a clean with something that evaporates cleanly to remove blockage!

Grin
ckristoff e2
10 959 Wales
18 Apr 2010 6:32PM
Hello Friends,

I'm still playing with my i9950, the yellow ink is definitely NOT printing.

One more query please, before I use the procedure that Dcash29 has kindly suggested.

After I remove all the ink cartridges, is it easy to remove the printer head? I've never tried this before, and I ain't too clever with technical stuff.

Frank.
dcash29 e2
9 2.0k England
18 Apr 2010 8:40PM
very easy to remove the head
ckristoff e2
10 959 Wales
23 Apr 2010 6:57PM
Hello Dave,

thanks for your advice.

I've finally managed to take out the print head without breaking anything!Grin

The printer head is in a plastic tub and I've put enough inkjet cleaner solution, into the ports that the ink cartridges go into. Before bed, I'll check if it needs topping up.

So tomorrow, is all I need to do is to spray each cartridge port with compressed air? Then put it all back together and perform a deep clean followed by some test prints? I hope this works, as this little baby is still like new condition.

Someone above mentioned that A3 printers are cheap!! Is that right! Well, when I bought mine, I paid 499, so I'm in no mood to dump it yet!

Frank.
dcash29 e2
9 2.0k England
23 Apr 2010 7:20PM
Frank

Cheap to one person isnt cheap to another.

When you spray the head tomorrow have a cloth around it and keep checking you get all the colours through the actual head.

Blow through from the cartridge side first then reverse through the head then finally through from the cartridge side

Once back in the printer give it a couple of deep cleans.

Good luck
Dave
ckristoff e2
10 959 Wales
24 Apr 2010 10:12AM
Thank you Dave,

I really appreciate all the advice you and the others have given me on this thread.

I've only just seen your post. I've just finished a surprise early shift. I must go and lie down!Smile

Frank.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.