Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon IP 4600

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ANW
ANW  629 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Apr 2009 - 3:08 PM

I have recently bought a Canon Pixma IP 4600. Initial prints from it show the following trends.
1. Printing from Easy Photo Print EX produces pale, low saturation prints cf the monitor. Activation of the Vivid option improves this.
2. Printing from DPP also tends towards pale unsaturation.
3. Printing from Elements 7 with elements controlling the colour and profile set to IP4600 pr1 gives better satuaration, but greens tend to too red and dull.
I am setting Adobe RGB colour space and using Canon paper and ink.
Can anyone advise on best settings in Elements and in the printer properties to give optimum results.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Apr 2009 - 3:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
strawman  1021998 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2009 - 3:39 PM

Is your monitor calibrated? If not do that first.

Next select a colour space that your printer supports, if it is sRGB then make certain your image is. So before using Adobe RGB, check your printer supports it.

To be honest your description could be an Adobe RGB image being printed by an SRGB printer.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2009 - 6:07 PM

Quote: Adobe RGB image being printed by an SRGB printer

What John said.......Smile

Plus monitor calibration, That is absolutely vital.......!

Don't expect a precise match with a monitor, Even when calibrated the temprature of paper & display screens are never going to be identical, However the results should be close.

My experience of Canon printers is this, You plug them in, Run the software, Start printing perfect results everytime.......Smile

User_Removed
9 Apr 2009 - 7:58 PM

ANW you may be interested in this link

RogBrown
RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2009 - 11:15 PM

I bought an IP 4600 recently too, & the results using Easy Photo Print & cheapo Tesco paper are mind-blowing. Can't be bothered with all that messing around printing from Elements!

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2009 - 11:52 PM

Hi Rog - I too use Tesco 'Glossy A4 photo paper' with excellent results, printing from PSP v8.10 on my iP4500. Wink

The Spyder 2 Express that I bought lies unused and unloved in my cupboard. Sad
jas

RogBrown
RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
10 Apr 2009 - 1:24 AM

Hi Jas
The paper I'm using is Tesco Premium Photo Lightweight Glossy inkjet paper - from memory, about 4 for 30 sheets.

ANW
10 Apr 2009 - 5:32 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. After more reading of the manual and general fidling I can now get reasonably consistant results printing from either Elements, PDP or Easy photo ex. Not 100% cf the monitor but this is not calibrated. Happy with what I 've got.

Adam

User_Removed
10 Apr 2009 - 5:55 PM

Did you install the Adobe RGB patch from my link ?.

ANW
10 Apr 2009 - 10:50 PM

The_Crofter wrote
"Did you install the Adobe RGB patch from my link ?"

Yes I did. Thanks

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85856 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2009 - 7:16 PM

Quote: I bought an IP 4600 recently too, & the results using Easy Photo Print & cheapo Tesco paper are mind-blowing. Can't be bothered with all that messing around printing from Elements!

Mr Brown,you are a genius Smile
Purchased the iP4600 this afternoon(The only one in town so I paid about an extra 10 above W.E listing))
Popped to Tescos and purchased to different types of glossy photo paper(very reasonably priced too).
Set it all up and have just run off half a dozen images(A4) using Easy Photo-print)
The results are as you describe "mind blowing"
To be honest tried a sample shot in CS,but whatever I enabled/disabled the colour rendition was well out.
Ran same image through Easy-Print and it came out perfect.
I think I read somewhere that Keith stated the Canon software was very good

The next time I am passing I'll put one over the bar for you Wink

All ther best

Adrian

steve_p
steve_p  81090 forum posts England
11 Apr 2009 - 9:36 PM

Quote: I bought an IP 4600 recently too, & the results using Easy Photo Print & cheapo Tesco paper are mind-blowing. Can't be bothered with all that messing around printing from Elements!

I found the same easy printing and superb results using Sainsburys own brand paper!
My wife gets me some when she goes shopping so I dont even have to pay for the paper!Wink

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2009 - 9:45 PM

Quote: My wife gets me some when she goes shopping so I dont even have to pay for the paper

!

With me it's the other way around.

I buy the paper and have to do the wifes prints for her.

My daughters as well, when she borrows my digicam!.

jas

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85856 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2009 - 9:47 PM

Quote: My experience of Canon printers is this, You plug them in, Run the software, Start printing perfect results everytime......

Apologies Vince for not including your goodself in my post Smile

Adrian

Kris_Dutson
11 Apr 2009 - 9:56 PM

Mine produces excellent results printing from PS CS3 using Fuji Satin.

Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.