Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Canon ip4500 problems

LeighRebecca 7 267 10 England
11 Apr 2009 9:43PM
I have had this printer a while now, with no problems before, but now I can not get it to print right at all.
All prints have very faint lines running through (so faint my husband struggles to see them, but they are perfectly obvious and unacceptable to me).
I have tried cleaning, deep cleaning, print head alignment and turning on and off lots of times, but still the problem remains.
I only use canon inks. I have tried printing from ps elements, from dpp and downloaded easyphotoprints to print straight from there, as I have read others saying prints are best straight from there.
No luck.
I had an ip5000 before this, and that scarcely lasted a year before it printed so badly that I replaced it. Do others have these problems, or am I just unlucky? :-(
And does anyone know of a possible remedy? I was thinking of getting a bigger format printer, but there seem to be so many problems with reliability that it seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
11 Apr 2009 10:02PM
What kind of lines?

And don't be put off. I've had three Canon printers over the years and they're all still going strong; even my five year old, and well hammered, i850. Smile
BubbaG2000 7 767 1
11 Apr 2009 10:09PM
Have you tried replacing the inks? What kind of paper are you printing on? I've had my ip4500 for several months now and so far no issues...
11 Apr 2009 10:13PM
I've just replaced two inks that ran out. I'm printing on ilford Galerie classic pearl, which has been fine in the past.
The lines are like very fine and frequent lines of the printing being too faint, if that makes sense.
User_Removed 5 694 3 Scotland
11 Apr 2009 10:15PM
Sounds as if you have a head problem that may requre it to be changed. No idea what the cost is but I would put the money toward a larger format printer as you say. Presume it is out of warranty.

No matter what device you buy there will always be an issue with a certain number and of course these are the ones you hear about. I guess it is just a question of researching on google and getting a balance of opinions.

Upgrading to a large format printer can be cost effective. I use an Epson 3800 which cost around 800. However this included about 400 worth of ink which made it very good value. When I do have to replace a cartdridge the size means I am effectively buying in bulk so running costs are far less than say a R1800.
11 Apr 2009 10:23PM
I'm afraid I've put myself off the idea of a large printer. The last batch of prints I wanted was so big it made financial sense to get them all printed professionally. I got 150 prints for less than I could have printed them for even with a cis and big printer, and i didn't have to spend much time over it, and there were no worries about print quality.
Since then I have just wanted a couple of a4's and I have spent all day messing about, without yet getting a single decent print! it just doesn't seem worth the hassle.
11 Apr 2009 10:42PM
But I still really want to get this printer sorted and printing perfectly again. So if anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.
It's somewhat reassuring that others are not having similar problems with their own printing.
My husband thinks the lines are so faint others may have them and not even notice, but I don't think so. I suspect most other photographers will be similarly fussy about their images once printed?
Btw, the nozzle check prints fine, and the print head alignment pages all look fine.
User_Removed 5 694 3 Scotland
11 Apr 2009 10:51PM
Are the lines evenly spaced ?. If so then I would suspect the head(s) but otherwise it could be a transport problem. I believe you can get a roller cleaning sheet.
11 Apr 2009 10:52PM
Could be the stepping of the roller that is at fault.

If it is out guarantee I would suggest getting an estimate for a professional repair and considering then whether it would be financially better to get a brand new printer.
jas
11 Apr 2009 10:56PM
I need to check, but I think it was less than a year since I bought it. (I've changed computers since then, so don't have access to old emails) Sounds like it may be a repair/ replacement then? The lines are very faint, but pretty evenly spaced I would say.
I got it from PC world. I don't hold out great hopes for customer service, I'm afraid.
dcash29 9 2.0k England
11 Apr 2009 10:58PM
are the lines vertical or horizontal to the printer?
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
11 Apr 2009 10:59PM
Does the 4500 have roller and bottom plate cleaning options in the maintenance tab?

My 4600 sometimes leaves marks after a long print run and this clears it.
11 Apr 2009 11:04PM
The lines are horizontal to the printer, but so close together as to almost look like an overall slightly faded effect.
I thought the bottom plate cleaning was for marks, rather than for faintness in the printing.
dcash29 9 2.0k England
11 Apr 2009 11:16PM
i'd take the cartridges out, remove the head and wipe the head with a paper towel dampened in hot water. Replace and perform a deep clean.

Do you get the faints when printing on plain paper?
11 Apr 2009 11:23PM
I may try that. But I would be worried about leaving bits behind from the paper towel.
Actually I accidentally printed on plain paper earlier, and thought the problem had gone, because I couldn't see the faint lines.

I do appreciate the advice, but I must get to bed now, so please don't think me rude if I don't reply. I will look in again tomorrow.
Thanks all.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.