Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon ip4500 problems

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

BEVZED
BEVZED e2 Member 71140 forum postsBEVZED vcard United Kingdom
12 Apr 2009 - 8:38 AM

Is it wheel marks from the guides? Photo paper is 'softer' and my old epson started leaving tracks Sad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Apr 2009 - 8:38 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
justin c  104526 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2009 - 8:53 AM

Is it leaving these faint lines on all prints.
The reason I ask is I also use the Ilford paper (which I find is very good), but on an Epson printer.
I notice on some images there are very faint horizontal lines. It doesn't happen on every image and they're faint enough to be undetectable at normal viewing distances. However, they are there, even though nozzle check pattern indicate no blocked nozzles.
I'm just using a generic icc profile and I set the media type to Colourlife paper but I've often wondered if this ocasional problem may be down to not using the best 'media type' setting for this particular paper, even though Ilford recommends selecting Colourlife Paper.

Are you using a custom profile for the paper type or a generic one? If not, it may be worth getting one done.
A lot of companies are doing them for just under 20 now, this may solve the problem perhaps!! Worth a try.

Good luck with getting the issue sorted.

Justin.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
redsnappa
redsnappa  111916 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Apr 2009 - 10:38 AM

could you do a hi res scan of a section of a print that contains thes faint lines and post it so we can see the lines?

dcash29
dcash29  81908 forum posts England
12 Apr 2009 - 11:07 AM

Its not guide wheels as the lines are horizonal to the page.

First of all default your printer settings, then set media to photo paper pro for Ilford. If you do look under 'custom' in print quality number 2 is sufficient.

It could even be a deposit under the printhead?

Rebecca, as long as you wipe along the heads and not across them a wetish paper towel with hot water will be ok as it still sounds like a blockage. If you like you could wipe over the electrical head brass terminals with alcohol. (printer switched off). You could try another cable or reinstall your software if all else fails.

In my opinion, if the lines are there now they will be there after a custom profile.

Last Modified By dcash29 at 12 Apr 2009 - 11:10 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
LeighRebecca
12 Apr 2009 - 12:43 PM

Thanks again fellas.
I haven't got a scanner, and I think even with my 5d the lines would not be visiblt by the time I copy then post a section of a print.
Justin, that sounds a lot like what I am getting. The lines certainly aren't visible at normal viewing distances, but I am used to pretty much perfect prints to my eyes, even at very close inspection, and I could not try to sell these other prints, knowing they are faulty up close.
Also, I think they make the whole image have a very slightly faded or scratched look.
Dcash, I photo paper pro setting, though I have tended to use full quality setting. I have since tried lots of variations, and I suspect you are right about the printheads, and when I get the chance I will rope my husband in to help try your suggestion.
Thanks.

ANW
ANW  629 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Apr 2009 - 6:26 PM

I had a similar problem some time ago with an i560x using Epson paper not sure what quality. I think I went through all the cleaning processes and nozzle alignment and changed to Canon paper(I was using Canon ink). This solved the problem.
Have since had further head problems and bought a ip4600.( see my thread on this)
This may not help you, but thought it worth a mention.

LeighRebecca
12 Apr 2009 - 8:16 PM

Thanks, ANW, I have not had problems with the ilford paper before, and I have rather a lot of it left, so I'm reluctant to change at the moment, though I can see how that is sensible advice.
That's why I want to persevere with the printer, too - I have quite a lot of ink ready for it, and don't want to waste it by scrapping the printer - the paper and ink are worth much more than the price of the printer. Maybe that will teach me not to buy in bulk, but then chances are I wouldn't have the ink and paper just when I need them most!

kinfatric
kinfatric  9550 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2009 - 8:22 PM

have you changed driver settings recently? check the web for this fault on canons web site and check availability for an updated driver

LeighRebecca
12 Apr 2009 - 8:27 PM

Will do

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.