Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon Live view with Tamron 18-270 PZD

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ickewon
    ickewon  2 United Kingdom
    18 Oct 2012 - 7:06 PM

I cannot get adequate focus lock with this lens when I put my 600D into live view mode. As soon as I disengage AF I can take a shot, and yes, if I set Live view into"fast" mode, it all works like a dream - except the mirror is up and down like a blue bottomed fly. Have tried indoors, outdoors, in my lady's chamber.

Camera shop that sold this 400 lens has been very supportive, but have got another one in. They've tried it on a 600D body with the same eternal live view results, focus is Sometimes achieved after an eternity!

Looks like this lens is unsuitable for Canon's autofocus system with the mirror locked up. Tried on tripod wide angle, mid range and telephoto...

Have I just got a duff one, or is this a general problem?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Oct 2012 - 7:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Oct 2012 - 6:19 AM

if i were you ask to change to a canon lens ! canon camera canon lens that what i stick to Wink

GlennH
    GlennH e2 Member 91880 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Oct 2012 - 7:22 AM

I don't know about the 600D, but in the 60D the Quick mode is a far more accurate way of focusing anyway than the Live AF mode, irrespective of what brand lens you have on the front. Obviously shooting a fast lens wide open makes the problem more critical. This was something of a disappointment to me when I first bought the 60D, because as you've observed Quick AF is noisy.

So, it's likely the camera, not the lens. In the case of the 60D it's referred to here. It's also vaguely referred to in the manual I think, although obviously Canon don't say 'Live AF Mode sucks'.

For me, the main advantage of Live View has been in being able to manual focus with pin-point accuracy by zooming in 10x on the subject. This is a more reliable focusing method than the focus/recompose technique, although I use that as well in various scenarios.

Last Modified By GlennH at 19 Oct 2012 - 7:26 AM
    User_Removed
    21 Oct 2012 - 10:13 PM

Quote: If i were you ask to change to a canon lens ! canon camera canon lens that what i stick to Wink

Quite agree! Why put a Morris Minor engine in a Rolls Royce! Canon Lenses are made for Canon Cameras.

GlennH
    GlennH e2 Member 91880 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Oct 2012 - 11:22 PM

Quote: Quite agree! Why put a Morris Minor engine in a Rolls Royce! Canon Lenses are made for Canon Cameras.

How about because they're sometimes better? Admittedly a Tamron superzoom is going to be like a slug on salt compared to Canon in terms of focusing speed, but at the heart of this problem is the rather poor Canon Live AF Mode - which ain't worth having even with a zippy Canon lens. Doesn't work. Misses focusing by a country mile on a regular basis.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Oct 2012 - 12:32 AM

These days, if you open the bonnet of a Rolls-Royce you'll find a BMW engine! Grin (Actually the whole car is made by BMW, albeit in GB).

Anyway what were we talking about? Oh yes, the Tamron 18-270mm. This thread is worth a look to see what can be achieved with that lens.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 22 Oct 2012 - 12:35 AM
    GlennH
    22 Oct 2012 - 12:58 AM

Sigma are worth watching at the moment, especially with lenses such as this. Highly corrected, loaded with 13 elements, and quite likely to punch Canon's often vulnerable wider-angle lights out, albeit probably for a premium price.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.