Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Canon macro lens. (which one)

acousticmist 4 10 1 United Kingdom
26 Sep 2011 10:38AM
Hi, I currently own mainly L series lens's, that I use with my canon 7D and Canon 5D Mk II. I have owned in the past, a Canon 60mm macro and a Tamron 90mm macro. I have sold the two I had and now want to buy either the Canon
EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM (L series) or the EF 100mm f/2.8 USM. I have read good reviews on the none L series one and am drawn to buying it. Has anyone had any experience with these two lens's, and is it worth the extra money for the L series over the none L series. Would the results be far better with the dearer lens or not. Any help appreciated......Thanks Martin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nigeyboy 6 537 United Kingdom
26 Sep 2011 10:42AM
I was lucky enough to borrow the non L 100mm lens a few years back, I loved it!! It was totally different way of shooting for me (only had kit lens at the time!!). Its solidly built, and that f2.8 makes for a reeeeeealy narrow DoF.

Can't comment on the L one . . . . . .thats a little out of my league!!!
brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
26 Sep 2011 11:15AM
From what I read there is little difference optically between the two.

I moved to the 100 LIS from the 60mm macro and the inclusion of IS + excellent auto-focus with the 7D was an amazing benefit for me as I mainly shoot my bugs, bees and butterflies hand-held (I never thought I would use AF at min focus distance as I was a confirmed manual focus user but I now find the AF / IS combo exceedingly useful)

So, unless you think you need the IS / AF, stick with the original 100 macro would be my advice
cambirder 10 7.2k England
26 Sep 2011 5:34PM
The IS lens is a perfect match for the 7D. Apart from IS, AF is far superior to the non-IS lens. Stick the 7D in servo mode and the lens will be responsive enough to cope with any front to back movement hand holding brings in.

If you can afford it go for the L version.
mohikan22 10 2.2k 1 United Kingdom
26 Sep 2011 5:40PM
or use a tripod and go non iso . same end result imo. In manual mode anyhows. i tend not to use Auto Focus at all . auto seems to be "just out" when i try. so manual does me. All my macro shots are manual mode. If handheld i up the iso.
26 Sep 2011 6:27PM
I've owned the non L, for over a year now the best 400 i've ever spent, as i use a tripod on most macro shoots the IS wont matter as your suppose to switch it off anyway, never use auto focus just live view and zoom it in, also doubles up to a nice portrait lens to , havnt noticed any real diff in photo quality between the 2 , use mine on a 450d and 60d. it really depends on how much you be hand holding it, John.
26 Sep 2011 6:38PM
Thanks all, much appreciated..........Martin
Graywolf 7 965 United Kingdom
26 Sep 2011 8:48PM
If your macro work is comprised mostly of static subjects and you work from a tripod, then the non IS lens would probably be fine. If you spend a lot of time crawling around on your hands and knees after creepy crawlies, then the IS is invaluable for getting that extra stop or two that can make the difference.
cambirder 10 7.2k England
26 Sep 2011 9:24PM

Quote:or use a tripod and go non iso . same end result imo.

Have you ever tried to stalk flighty insects with a cumbersome tripod attached? For mainly static objects however a tripod would be the way to go.
mohikan22 10 2.2k 1 United Kingdom
27 Sep 2011 9:02AM
Have you ever tried to stalk flighty insects with a cumbersome tripod attached?
yes i have and it works for me. but then my tripod is very lighteight and comes apart to become smaller when needed Grin
will2509 4 3 United Arab Emirates
1 Oct 2011 11:40AM
I have the non L and it is by far my favourite lens you wont regret it
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
1 Oct 2011 1:34PM
You sold the best lens......The Tamron 90mm Grin

Ade
tomcat e2
9 6.0k 15 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2011 9:09PM
I purchased the Canon 100mm IS earlier this year & never looked back.
Well worth the extra doshWink
Off loaded the Sigma 150mm in the process

It took my butterfly images to a new dimensionWink

Adrian
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
3 Oct 2011 9:55AM
acousticmist - why did you get rid of the Tamron 90mm? That may guide your decision.
Have you considered teh Canon 180mm?

I have the 100mm L IS and am gobsmacked how sharp it is. And the IS is a great bonus, especially as I don't use it only for macro.
7 Oct 2011 6:14PM
Hi all, I have now purchased the L series 100mm IS. Very pleased, as sharp as a pin. Martin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.