Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX Flash

ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2012 9:01AM
Hi guys I am looking to buy this flash done some you tube watching and some reading, looks great for the Macro photography I am progressing with, I have a canon 100mm f2.8 l is usm macro lens and a canon mpe 65mm macro lens, I know I would like a flash to get the depth of field and hand hold so this does seem the obvious choice to me.
I know about the MT-14 EX macro ring flash but i do like the versatility of the Twin Lite MT-24 EX.
I see many un boxing videos, to me they are a waste of time and do not tell you much about the product, more look what i have got sort of video really.

Question is, does anyone have this light and what is your opinion on it please?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
1 Jun 2012 9:25AM
Yes and I rarely use it, as it makes images look very flat by knocking out all the shadows, have a look Here this is a new EPZ members website that goes by the name of "orionmystery". Have a look at some of his rigs for some more ideas. I'm not saying to dismiss the Twin Lite, it obviously has it's uses, but it's a very expensive piece of kit, especially when alternatives can be used.......

Ade
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
1 Jun 2012 9:35AM
By the way have a look at the rest of his site, there are some truly great tips to be had if you're into macro......The man is a God, but don't tell him I said so Wink

Also take a look at Laurie Knights webpage, now this fella is a legend in his own right to anybody who wants to get into macro imaging and I still refer back to some of his articles on a regular basis....

Ade
teepee 11 745 England
1 Jun 2012 5:51PM
Led ring flash with constant variable light 39 ebay......well pleased
Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
1 Jun 2012 8:02PM
The twinflash is very pricey - especially when you realise that its somewhat an older design and slower to re-charge than newer flash units on the market. It is, however, a very good way to give you a very controlable light source for macro work when combined with the MPE 65mm macro.

It's major gain over many other options is that it clips to the end of the lens and thus, as the magnification changes it always stays in the right position to light the shot, often only needing the heads tilting down or up a fraction on their mounts. Many other setups use fixed or variable position brackets, which need separate adjustments each time the MPE has its magnification changed.
If you want to go for another option small flash units held on a bracket that attaches to the end of the lens would be my suggestion. I've seen good things combining a Canon 270EX with a bit of bent metal and a stepping ring mounted to the front. (note the 270 only works alone when offcamera since it takes all its controls from the camera itself and has non on the flash body).

Ringflashes will also work, but give you far less control over the lighting and also far less options to diffuse the light. Great for science and similar works where you want a clear no shadows shot - but less ideal for photographers and a little art.

With the ring mount on the twinflash you can vary the position of the flash lights, which combined with variable power outputs means you can have highly directional or very flat lighting - its really your choice. If you add Kaiser or similar design flash shoes to the mount (between the mount and the flash head) you can raise the heads up so that you can fit larger diffuser setups to experiment with.

In addition I'd also suggest getting either Canon battery pack or a Pixel battery pack ( Battery pack ) to use with the twinflash. The pack significantly speeds its charging rate for the first shot and between shots; which whilst you still have to keep an eye on (you cant' gun it madly without overheating problems) it does mean that its far more responsive.

If I were to list downsides it would be teh whine sound it makes as it charges (its not soundproofed like the 580EX2) and the fact that it is somewhat slower to recharge (though point made on that already to improve that weakness).
Otherwise its a great unit that gives you a very versatile light - for regular macro lenses its somewhat overkill; for the MPE its a very ideal compliment. Not the only option, but certainly a very good one.
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
3 Jun 2012 8:26PM
Well guys if your interested i brought it and tried it but instead of buying the mpe i brought an 2x converter for the canon 100mm macro lens i have which gives me 4x the focal 1 off the mpe so well chuffed with it so far but much to learn yet.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
4 Jun 2012 12:18AM
You go Ian, look forward to seeing some of the images.....The MP-E's a bitch to use anyway.....

AdeWink
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
4 Jun 2012 12:22AM
Grin haha done a few experimental shots without diffusers but read up on your link and think that Gary fong or similar would be the way to go.

here's one for starters see what you think.

1-img-9064-edit.jpg

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
4 Jun 2012 2:43AM
Looks pricey but will it put the light where you want it?.....Which in some scenarios might be right over the end of the lens!.....Though I must admit it does look interesting. Smile

I say this because I personally use a Manfrotto Off Camera Arm with a cheapish TTTL cable and this enables me with the use of a cheap diffuser such as this one found on Amazon to put and aim the light/flash-head anywhere I want. Sometimes only inches above or to the side of the subject. By doing it using this method I can introduce an element of shadows, something that not easily achieved with the ring flash, which as I said earlier in the thread can make images look a little flat.

Just a few thoughts......Ade

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.