Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Canon Mark II and Impact VSLCD 400W Strobe not syncing

stubbus 1 2
23 Nov 2013 5:37AM
Hello and thanks in advance for any help that someone can give.

I'm having difficulty with my Mark II causing my strobe to fire. I had previously been using the wireless transmitter/receiver with my hot shoe but I believe the transmitter/receiver is malfunctioning as it will only cause the strobe to fire every other shot. If anyone has had an issue with this and could provide feedback I would appreciate it but my real question is below.

I'm now trying to use my sync cord plugged into the strobe and the pc port on my Mark II while I wait for Impact to get back to me about a fix for my issue. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the strobe to work once with the sync cord and I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

I'm trying to do this on manual but have tried the other modes as well with no luck. Is there a setting I'm missing on the Mark II that I have to enable? Should the strobe be firing every time I shoot a picture or am I missing something?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I'm just getting started with my Mark II after my old camera, a Sony, broke. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any help that you can give!

Mark

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2013 9:21AM
Can you elaborate as to which Mk2 Canon you have Mark?
stubbus 1 2
23 Nov 2013 6:32PM
Sorry! It's the 5D. Any other info needed?
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2013 7:01PM
Yes Smile
Which trigger/receiver were you using, and is it infra red or radio signal?
What shutter speed setting were you using with trigger/receiver?
Does the strobe you're using fire everytime if you trigger it manually?
Are all batteries fresh and fitted correctly?
Was the trigger/receiver you're using from the Sony camera?
stubbus 1 2
23 Nov 2013 8:53PM
My strobes are by Impact and I bought them in a kit from B&H so they came with an Impact trigger/receiver. They are the Impact R616 and T616. It's a radio system. The strobe I'm using fires every time I hit the test button on the strobe, if that's what you mean by firing it manually. When I hit the test button on the transmitter, it doesn't fire, though I can see the little indicator light blink on both the transmitter and receiver. All batteries are fresh and fitted correctly. The trigger/receiver are supposed to be generally universal. If I fiddle with the wire syncing the receiver to the strobe enough I can sometimes get it so the strobe will fire like every other time I click the shutter, but that's about it.

I also can't get a regular sync cord to work with my camera and the strobe. Not sure if there's a setting in the camera to make that work that I'm just not finding. Any help to get a consistent flash either way would be very helpful.
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2013 9:37AM
Hi Mark -
well the sync cord sounds like a familiar situation - the connections always seem feeble causing inconsistent firing.
It also relies on good line-of-sight between strobes if using more than one as the IR sensors need to 'see' each other.

I've not heard of the strobe/trigger/receiver make you're using, however it's possible that you have a fault somewhere in the trigger/receiver system, considering you are getting inconsistent flashes.
My suggestion would be to get the trigger/receiver system replaced, although you probably already knew this much Smile
letooms 6 37 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2013 5:31PM
As far as I know there is no setting that you can enable or otherwise in the 5D mk2 that could prevent the intermittent flash firing you are describing. The 5D will trigger a flash/receiver if a trigger is connected to the hotshoe or a sync cable is connected in most, if not all settings i'm sure.

I know on my wireless transmitter that after a minute or two of non-use it will go into a sort of snooze mode that it requires two trigger presses to rouse it from.

Do the triggers you have different channels they can be set to? Or a transmit/receive mode?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.