Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon Mark II and Impact VSLCD 400W Strobe not syncing

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    stubbus
    23 Nov 2013 - 5:37 AM

Hello and thanks in advance for any help that someone can give.

I'm having difficulty with my Mark II causing my strobe to fire. I had previously been using the wireless transmitter/receiver with my hot shoe but I believe the transmitter/receiver is malfunctioning as it will only cause the strobe to fire every other shot. If anyone has had an issue with this and could provide feedback I would appreciate it but my real question is below.

I'm now trying to use my sync cord plugged into the strobe and the pc port on my Mark II while I wait for Impact to get back to me about a fix for my issue. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the strobe to work once with the sync cord and I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

I'm trying to do this on manual but have tried the other modes as well with no luck. Is there a setting I'm missing on the Mark II that I have to enable? Should the strobe be firing every time I shoot a picture or am I missing something?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I'm just getting started with my Mark II after my old camera, a Sony, broke. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any help that you can give!

Mark

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Nov 2013 - 5:37 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72273 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Nov 2013 - 9:21 AM

Can you elaborate as to which Mk2 Canon you have Mark?

stubbus
    23 Nov 2013 - 6:32 PM

Sorry! It's the 5D. Any other info needed?

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72273 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Nov 2013 - 7:01 PM

Yes Smile
    Which trigger/receiver were you using, and is it infra red or radio signal?
    What shutter speed setting were you using with trigger/receiver?
    Does the strobe you're using fire everytime if you trigger it manually?
    Are all batteries fresh and fitted correctly?
    Was the trigger/receiver you're using from the Sony camera?

stubbus
    23 Nov 2013 - 8:53 PM

My strobes are by Impact and I bought them in a kit from B&H so they came with an Impact trigger/receiver. They are the Impact R616 and T616. It's a radio system. The strobe I'm using fires every time I hit the test button on the strobe, if that's what you mean by firing it manually. When I hit the test button on the transmitter, it doesn't fire, though I can see the little indicator light blink on both the transmitter and receiver. All batteries are fresh and fitted correctly. The trigger/receiver are supposed to be generally universal. If I fiddle with the wire syncing the receiver to the strobe enough I can sometimes get it so the strobe will fire like every other time I click the shutter, but that's about it.

I also can't get a regular sync cord to work with my camera and the strobe. Not sure if there's a setting in the camera to make that work that I'm just not finding. Any help to get a consistent flash either way would be very helpful.

arhb
    24 Nov 2013 - 9:37 AM

Hi Mark -
    well the sync cord sounds like a familiar situation - the connections always seem feeble causing inconsistent firing.
    It also relies on good line-of-sight between strobes if using more than one as the IR sensors need to 'see' each other.

I've not heard of the strobe/trigger/receiver make you're using, however it's possible that you have a fault somewhere in the trigger/receiver system, considering you are getting inconsistent flashes.
    My suggestion would be to get the trigger/receiver system replaced, although you probably already knew this much Smile

letooms
    letooms  637 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Nov 2013 - 5:31 PM

As far as I know there is no setting that you can enable or otherwise in the 5D mk2 that could prevent the intermittent flash firing you are describing. The 5D will trigger a flash/receiver if a trigger is connected to the hotshoe or a sync cable is connected in most, if not all settings i'm sure.

I know on my wireless transmitter that after a minute or two of non-use it will go into a sort of snooze mode that it requires two trigger presses to rouse it from.

Do the triggers you have different channels they can be set to? Or a transmit/receive mode?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.