Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon MG6150 Hits the dust

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64470 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jan 2014 - 4:08 PM

Well, it's finally given up on me. And I'm not sorry. Just one word - Ink! Sad

So now I'm in the market for a better printer with better ink usage. I suspect if you buy a cheap printer they make up the slack by leaching ink out at every opportunity so you have to buy more, so I think this time I'll try a Pro printer in the hope that ink usage will be better.

If anyone has any recommendations for A4 pro printers I'd be most happy to hear them. All the reviews I can find on line seem to be years old so any up-to-date info would be most useful.

Thanks.
    Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Jan 2014 - 4:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
    justin c  104528 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jan 2014 - 4:55 PM

Canon printers will be no worse than any other brand really. Ink is expensive, unfortunately, and there's no getting around that fact. Whilst you will likely get 'professional' quality from the majority of decent A4 photo printers. I don't think they would be classed as 'pro' printers. Pro printers will be the larger format machines which are designed to be used with bigger capacity cartridges. I would imagine A4 printers are all likely to be fairly similar in running costs.
    The Epson 3880 is a tried and tested design that has generally proved reliable and the 80ml cartridges brings the cost of ink down if you can stomach buying 9 cartridges at roughly 45 each Sad

Last Modified By justin c at 4 Jan 2014 - 4:59 PM
    dcash29
    dcash29  81908 forum posts England
    4 Jan 2014 - 5:17 PM

I suggest you look if you can obtain a continuous ink system for the new printer.

Also its a good idea to install an external waste ink tank

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64470 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jan 2014 - 5:22 PM

I'm now wondering about getting a laser printer for correspondence and printing stuff off of the web, and sending pics off to pro-printers if I need photos.

gram100
    gram100  6 United Kingdom
    4 Jan 2014 - 6:27 PM

beware cheap laser printers!! the toners are v v expensive and the build quality of the two I have owned has been very poor, and both were big names, dell which had to be replaced it was so bad and a brother which packed in after 8000 prints. In the end I switched back to canon inkjet ironically enough. The problem is the disposable society. I would take the advice dcash29 and look at continuous systems and printers that can use them.

SlowSong
    4 Jan 2014 - 6:33 PM

I had an Epson A3 with continuous system but didn't use it much and the bottles of ink took up lots of room. Thanks for the tips on lasers.

franken
    franken e2 Member 123144 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jan 2014 - 7:02 PM

I've use an HP laser printer since 2008 and I find that replacement cartridges can be picked up on 7day shop com and EBay for under 20.00. (B&W)

They're refills but I've never had a problem.

I gave up printing photo's at home several years ago and now use on line only.

I've recently started to use these and I have to say the quality is excellent as are the prices.

http://www.dscolourlabs.co.uk/

Ken

Last Modified By franken at 4 Jan 2014 - 7:03 PM
    SlowSong
    4 Jan 2014 - 7:05 PM

Thanks Ken. Bookmarked.
    I think I've decided. I'll get a cheapo printer for just correspondence, and any pictures I want printing I'll use a lab.
    I've spent enough on inks over the last few years and they've had their last few bob out of me.
    Smile

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014859 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Jan 2014 - 10:06 PM

I have a Canon MG 6100 and I pay less than $15.00 for a full 6-tank set. I get excellent black and white and colour prints using Lightroom, and I use it for text. My grandchildren use it to print pictures for colouring, plus other things. If you like, and ever need a contact for my source of ink for Canon printers, let me know. They also charge minimal shipping. My last order was for 2 full sets, 12 tanks, plus 6 extra specific tanks, and the cost, including shipping, was $29.91. if I need something special, I use a lab.

dcash29
    dcash29  81908 forum posts England
    4 Jan 2014 - 11:40 PM

Quote: I had an Epson A3 with continuous system but didn't use it much and the bottles of ink took up lots of room.

Sounds like a good idea not buying one then

SlowSong
    6 Jan 2014 - 3:48 PM

Well I've given up on doing my own photo printing. I just don't do enough to justify a proper printer. So my new project for this year will be to try out some on-line labs as recommended by the helpful peeps on EPZ, and this afternoon I bought a cheapo Canon MG3250 from Rymans and set it all up and that'll be great for day-to-day stuff. And it scans and copies. Not bad for 50.

Smile

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96319 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jan 2014 - 4:45 PM

Quote: So my new project for this year will be to try out some on-line labs as recommended by the helpful peeps on EPZ

Suggestion.... send the same image to different labs and get printed the same size and if possible on the same type of paper ( gloss, lustre ).
    Then you can judge which lab has best printed how you expected, quality, delivery times etc. etc.

The only other thing to be aware of is the cost of postage & packaging... it can cost more than the prints at some of the cheaper labs if you only get 1 or 2 done at a time ! !

Last Modified By JJGEE at 6 Jan 2014 - 4:47 PM
    SlowSong
    6 Jan 2014 - 6:04 PM

Thanks JJ. I'll bear that in mind. Thanks for the tips.
    Prints plus postage can't possibly cost more than me continually having to replace ink or spoiling my own attempts.
    Smile

Last Modified By SlowSong at 6 Jan 2014 - 6:06 PM
    KevinEllison
    KevinEllison e2 Member 72507 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
    6 Jan 2014 - 10:21 PM

Quote: Prints plus postage can't possibly cost more than me continually having to replace ink or spoiling my own attempts.

quite agree...something I'm considering too...me Canon printer is excellent, but needs 8 cartridges and only does A4 hence most of my stuff (masterpieces all....) lie buried on hard drives..about time I bored the family rigid with larger framed versions... Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.