Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon mirrorless?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2012 - 7:25 AM

Canon Sends Invites for July 23rd Event, Mirrorless Camera Looming

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Jul 2012 - 7:25 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53579 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2012 - 10:09 AM

It will be interesting to see what they will do with Lens mounts.
And also to see whether Mirrorless will be as much a distraction from regular dSLR development as video considerations have been.

thewilliam
11 Jul 2012 - 10:23 AM

It'll be interesting what happens with the lens offerings, especially wide-angle.

On the Zeiss site, the resolution of a typical Carl Zeiss ZM Leica fitting lens is given as 400 line pairs per millimetre wheres the Nikon fitting ZF optics "only" manage around 300. That's quite a penalty when they design a lens that gives space for the reflex mirror.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 11 Jul 2012 - 10:25 AM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2012 - 10:24 AM

Quote: It will be interesting to see what they will do with Lens mounts.

It depends whether Canon are thinking long term or short term.

Quote: Mirrorless will be as much a distraction from regular dSLR development

Ultimately, think in terms of 'replacement' rather than distraction. In SE Asia, the majority of non-fixed lens cameras sold are now mirrorless..... 51% Japan, 54% Taiwan (figures from AP article). Not hard to see the way the wind is blowing. Smile

mikehit
mikehit  56297 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2012 - 10:26 AM

I heard that Canon have been late to the party because they were trying to avoid having another lens mount in their range but it seems they may have failed.

I think the abilities and the success of the OM-D has advanced the MFT cause significantly so Canon are playing catch-up now. The leap in Nikon sensors a couple of years ago was bad enough a shock, but to have to face a MFT that in some respects outperforms the 5D must be a real bugger.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2012 - 10:26 AM

If the available EF lens won't fit, then Canon can f*** right off.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2012 - 10:28 AM

Quote: If the available EF lens won't fit, then Canon can f*** right off.

The rumour article you linked to suggests EF lens will fit via an adaptor. That is not so bad: but the crucial thing is what functions are retained.

simmybear
simmybear  832 forum posts
11 Jul 2012 - 11:40 AM

Retained functionality has not been a strong point on other manufacturers systems so far. When you can "force" the sale of new lenses why overly support old ones - for every owner whose put off there will be a new adopter - that seems to be the general strategy these days.

Simmybear

Last Modified By simmybear at 11 Jul 2012 - 4:36 PM
Carabosse
11 Jul 2012 - 12:12 PM

I agree Simon. If I had to put a bet on it, I'd say new Canon lens mount. There are probably good technical reasons for a brand new mount rather than one which had been around for 25 years!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315157 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2012 - 3:25 PM

Quote: Retained functionality has not been a strong point on other manufacturers systems so far

It has with M4/3 Smile

Carabosse
11 Jul 2012 - 3:42 PM

Quote: It has with M4/3

Which non-M4/3 (or 4/3) lenses retain AF and, if built-in to the lens, IS when fitted to M4/3?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315157 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2012 - 3:48 PM

All 4/3 lenses CB, But you like to argue for the sake of it Smile

Are you expecting Canon to fully support the FD mount in place of EF, of course not.

Carabosse
11 Jul 2012 - 3:51 PM

I said other than M4/3 or 4/3 lenses, Paul.

I'm not expecting Canon to fully support the EF mount never mind the FD mount! Grin

Paul Morgan
11 Jul 2012 - 3:57 PM

Quote: I said other than M4/3 or 4/3 lenses, Paul

Of course not CB, lets repeat Smile

Quote: Retained functionality has not been a strong point on other manufacturers systems so far

It has with Micro for thirds.

And My guess is that Canon will have an adapter the fully supports modern EF lenses but with a further crop factor of somewhere around x2.

Carabosse
11 Jul 2012 - 4:01 PM

4/3 to M4/3 was only a difference of dropping the mirror....... sensor is the same.

Sony: Do the NEX cameras fully support Sony/Minolta AF lenses?

Nikon: Does the 1-series fully support Nikon AF lenses?

(I don't know the answer to the above - just asking. Smile)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.