Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

canon mp-e 65 1-5x

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MaryMac
MaryMac  8258 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2011 - 7:59 PM

having just looked at Biker11 shot that he uploaded today and read what Cannon lens he used I wondered if there was a Nikon equivelent to the canon mp-65 1-5x ?
Mary

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Jun 2011 - 7:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Andy_Cundell
22 Jun 2011 - 8:09 PM

Hiya Mary

If there is, I cant find it! The only thing I can find for Nikon is the 'bellows' macro. It's a bit like sticking extension tubes behind a normal lens to make it a macro lens but the bellows are quite long!

If you search 'Nikon Bellows' in a well known search engine, you will see what I mean.

If they do make something like the mp-e, I'm selling my 105 and getting one!

Andy

MaryMac
22 Jun 2011 - 8:15 PM

Thanks Andy it must be a beautiful peice of kit to own to produce such amazing shots !
Im due for a new camera and have been a Nikon fan so far but jeepers I really want that lens !!!!
Mary

Andy_Cundell
22 Jun 2011 - 8:19 PM

I know exactly what you mean Mary! That one lens could make me sell all my Nikon lenses and D90 to go canon!

Andy

MaryMac
22 Jun 2011 - 8:24 PM

Just had the same conversation with my hubby ! we are searching the net looking at prices we have got 5 cameras between us with a variety of lenses that I will happily sell off to have the canon its really blown me away
Mary

Overread
Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2011 - 9:26 PM

The MPE 65mm macro is unique to Canon - certainly out of current production lines no other company makes such a lens and even in the past I don't think any have made an MPE type lens. So it is very much a trump (pretty much the only one) card in the Canon lens lineup.

It is also generally considered about the hardest lens to use in the whole line up. High magnification photography is fantastic stuff, but it is also very demanding in both shooting practice and lighting control and, for some, whilst the rewards can be great, the difficulty proves too much.

You might want to first consider using teleconverters and close up lens attachments before jumping on the MPE. Get a feel of 2:1 and 3:1 magnifications with your regular macro lens before shifting to the MPE (and I say that to canon shooters, for those looking to shift systems I'd doubly say that advice).

In addition you might want to check out and have a chat with John Hallmen who does a lot of highmagnification work, but does not shoot canon nor even uses the MPE - instead using close up lens attachments, microscope elements and the like. He's a nice chap and should be able to give some guidance on alternative gear approaches to the MPE.
Remember the MPE itself lacks infinity focus (it won't focus on anything past its 1:1 distance of about 6 cms) so bellows and other approaches lose nothing over the MPE in that regard.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2011 - 9:41 PM

Clearly a LOT of skill involved in using this unusual lens.

It's always dangerous to fall into the trap of thinking "If I get X, I will be able to achieve equally good photos".Wink

MaryMac
22 Jun 2011 - 9:45 PM

Thanks for that info its certainly worth considering before rushing out to purchase a new kit ! I will indeed look up John Hallemen as you suggest and check out the other things too
regards
mary

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315627 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2011 - 9:55 PM

The canon`s manual focus so you may as well pick a manual focus lens.

This picture was taken with an old 55mm Micro Nikkor F/2.8, they can be picked up for 100 or less.

http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/azure-damselfly-18258717

Overread
Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2011 - 10:05 PM

Ahh but Paul can the 55mm Micro Nikkor do this with a crumb:Grin
http://www.ephotozine.com/user/overread-82735/gallery/photo/today-a-crumb---tomo...

version 2 is the view at 1:1 which is what most other macro lenses are capable of - version 1 is 5:1 (and yes someone possibly messed with the white balance between the two photos).

Last Modified By Overread at 22 Jun 2011 - 10:05 PM
Vpics
Vpics  4 Wales6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2011 - 10:21 PM

I've been using the MPE 65 for a while now and whilst you can get some really amazing shots out of it i have to say that it's the most challenging lens i've ever used.

High magnification above 2X requires the use of a focusing rail especialy if the images are to be stacked because the lens dose not focus in the usual sense, it simply changes magnification so as you can imagine, at 5 X magnification it needs a very accurately made focusing rail with absolutely no slop if the frames are going to line up when stacked. Light levels at 5 X magnification are very low and the DOF is vanishingly thin at large apertures.

It is possible to use hand held up to 2 X magnification but you'll need very steady hands and quite a lot of skill............ something i don't have Grin

If you decide to try this lens, be prepared to be thoroughly frustrated by it at the start and frequently in the future Grin

Last Modified By Vpics at 22 Jun 2011 - 10:23 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315627 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2011 - 10:24 PM

Quote: Ahh but Paul can the 55mm Micro Nikkor do this with a crumb

I really have no idea Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2011 - 10:27 PM

You'd probably have to crop the photo a bit! Wink

Paul Morgan
22 Jun 2011 - 10:36 PM

Could half a loaf be called a crumb Sad

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93455 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2011 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for the plug Paul Smile
Probably not Alex, but I have little use for a large canvas of a crumb Wink Tongue
It must be said though, Biker11 has a fantastic portfolio. I'm extremely jealous of many of his shots.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.