Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Canon MT-24X macro speedlite

Ian Pratt e2
12 75
31 Aug 2008 6:27PM
This is a twin head macro flash and could be good for butterfly photography. Has anyone got one and can they recommend it?
I have a Sigma 150 F2.8 macro - will it fit this or will I need an adapter? Hope someone out there can help.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
31 Aug 2008 6:59PM
Not my own experience, but I have spoken to another macro user and he said that this macro flash is made almost exclusivly for the canon MPE65 - where it really does shine as a macro flash.
As such I don't think its easy to attach this flash to the 150mm macro - infact I think he said that canon don't make many adaptor rings for this flash head - whilst their ringlight they do.

I would be interested, though, in hearing thoughts of others as I am also a sigma 150mm user
Little Jo e2
13 2.3k United Kingdom
31 Aug 2008 7:10PM
The adapter rings are needed if you want to fit either the MR14ex ring flash or the twin flash to a non-Canon macro lens or the Canon EF180 L macro. You need to buy one of the appropriate size to fit on your Sigma lens. I use both units with both the 100mm macro and the MP-E 65mm very successfully.

Jo
Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
31 Aug 2008 7:22PM
out of interest which do you find yourself using more with the 100mm macro? Or do you find one to be more suitable for a certain kind of macro photography or subject (ie handheld, tripod, insects, flowers)
Little Jo e2
13 2.3k United Kingdom
31 Aug 2008 8:26PM
I've had the ringflash for a number of years whereas, I've only had the twin-flash since January. The main problem with the twin-flash is that it needs more room, so photographing lichens on branches was actually harder than using just the ringflash. The twin-flash offers a greater range of lighting possibilities as the heads can be moved on the support ring that attaches to the lens, they also tilt and swivel. It's a great piece of kit (though scarily expensive).

I use the 100mm macro most, the MP-E 65mm is a much harder lens to use in the field. The ringflash lives in my backpack whereas I only take the twin flash with me when I need it. You don't have to attach the ringflash to your lens, one thing I've done successfully is take photos while holding the ringflash in different positions. You can get some interesting lighting doing that.

None of the flash units are exclusively for use on the MP-E 65 mm, but Canon do recommend the twin-flash unit with this lens as it's hard to get light on a subject that's just a few cm from the front of the lens.

I hope that helps - in short, you can use either unit with longer lenses very successfully, but the MP-E 65mm really needs the expensive option.

Jo
f8 e2
11 9.2k 22 England
31 Aug 2008 8:41PM
Whilst on the subject of ring flash, may I ask if anyone has had experience with "Doctors eyes LED ring flash" units? They are of German manufacture and rather expensive. They do two models,Compact and professional for canon.
Hope this does'nt go off too far of a tangent.
Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
31 Aug 2008 8:58PM
I was interested so I did a search - first google result:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Doctorseyes-Ringlight
Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.