Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon New Lens Prices!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

duratorque
duratorque  11413 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Sep 2012 - 10:08 AM

I know everyone are very excited when manufactures releases new camera bodies, but have you noticed the prices of new Canon lenses?

When the MK II version of 70-200mm L IS was released, the RRP prices almost doubled. Then, 24-70mm L F2.8 was released, the price almost doubled again.

Recently they are stopping production of 580EX II flash gun and replaced it with the 600EX-RT with a substantial price increase.

Now I see the new 24mm f2.8 and 28mm f2.8 are also very expensive. I know they have added IS and USM, but there is a trend of substantially increasing the RRP by Canon.

I do know the street price do drop after a while but I am not happy with the new pricing structure. When you compare with Nikon, they look to be priced more competitively. I have too much invested in Canon system to move over, but if I didn't I would be very tempted.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Sep 2012 - 10:08 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114491 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2012 - 10:24 AM

It's the price we pay for new technology I guess....Some of the generic makes, Sigma & Tamron etc are just as good, if not better as the Canon stuff now and you'd be nuts IMHO not to seek out alternatives rather than follow the road of Canon snobbery. If they carry on as they are, I'd like to think they'll price themselves out of the market, it won't happen though.....Too many pro togs will go out and buy the Canon glass and then write the cost off with the tax man. Us mere enthusiasts will just have to dig deeper in our pockets, unless as I say you seek out the equivalents elsewhere.......Sign of the signs and the capitalist society we live in! I do sometimes wonder though just what are cost prices are of each item and what the mark up percentage is. I bet a staggering profit is made out of us all!

Ade

duratorque
duratorque  11413 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Sep 2012 - 11:10 AM

Totally agreed with third party alternatives. If I was in the market for a 24-70mm lens right now, I will look at the Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 VC at less than half the cost of the Canon version. Some people will only ever look at OEM lens though.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2012 - 11:10 AM

Quote: Some of the generic makes, Sigma & Tamron etc are just as good, if not better as the Canon stuff now

cool - and specific examples?

MalcolmS
MalcolmS e2 Member 91067 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2012 - 11:25 AM

Quote: cool - and specific examples?

Ditto and based on comparison reviews by accredited reviewers not just enthusiasm for a particular lens when compared with a previoiusly owned, known to be inferior, lens

parallax
parallax e2 Member 5111 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
26 Sep 2012 - 11:32 AM

I'm a Canon user and have always liked their products but they are greedy b*stards these days.

The 24-70L II has no IS and is double the price of the old model but not double the optical performance.

The 24mm and 28mm are good but again overpriced.

They are falling behind Nikon who have now really great cameras at all price points.

Canon still have many unique and great lenses that save them.

The only camera Canon has pulled all the stops out for is the new 1DX.

They need to start innovating again or will be left behind.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2012 - 11:37 AM

Quote: The only camera Canon has pulled all the stops out for is the new 1DX.

What makes you say that ?

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114491 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2012 - 11:38 AM

I could compare my Tamron 90mm SP Di with the Canon 100mm macro Ade, I have both and apart from the extra 10mm length the Canon offers over the Tamron, the Tamron knocks the spots clean of it! So much so I rarely use the Canon! Image Stabilisation or not! Although I will admit the focus is faster and the handling is much better with the Canon......But for image quality, no contest! The Tamron wins hands down everytime.

mohikan22
mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2012 - 12:06 PM

i do agree with the "lower end" market statements above, I have my canon 50mm "nifty fifty" no the best made nor quietist but a cracker of a lens at sub 80, my sigma 18-125 over the canon 28-135....ANYDAY the image quality is cracking and its my workhorse of the lenses i own. ok not as crisp as the 70-200 prime nor my 300 prime BUT for cost to quality.. YES some lower ends are better.

ade_mcfade
26 Sep 2012 - 12:08 PM

yeah - I've heard the Tamron 90's good.

The Siggy 10-20 is pretty cool too I hear... never used one of course - don't go on a 5D too well... get circular shots lol

My only experience of 3rd party lenses was a Siggy 15-30 - the aperture stopped working and it's now permanently stuck open... not used it for 4 ot 5 years

fraser
fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2012 - 12:25 PM

I had a Sigma 10-20 and loved it, Unfortunately it was face-planted onto a pebble beach and written off. The replacement was nowhere near the same quality and I binned it for the canon 10-22, which is superb. Maybe what you partly pay for is consistency with the Canon lenses.

Kako
Kako  8140 forum posts
26 Sep 2012 - 12:26 PM

Ade_Osman, I too would love to know what the ex-factory prices were on a whole range of photographic gear not just lenses. Is there anyone out there who works in sales/marketing /production for the big photographic names who could shed any light on the cost of production vs the actual selling price...can't help feeling that photographers are seen as a particularly lucrative
market by photographic companies.

On a slightly different note I notice that Canon has recently had to shut down three plants in China for a few days due to rising anti-Japanese sentiment over disputed islands. Chinese consumers
are boycotting goods made by Japanese companies. This if it develops could force a wholesale exodus from China of manufacturing companies with huge knock-on effects across whole product ranges. Chinese wages are getting higher and increasingly Chinese made goods will become more expensive. It s hard to see how they could persuade photographic enthusiasts to pay more when the stuff is already over-priced and there are only so many 'Pros' who could afford to stump up.

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2012 - 12:30 PM

the only way to look at is every time they go up , so do your L lens's .each time i have sold one of my L's i have got more than i paid for it Wink

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2012 - 12:40 PM

ade you must be lucky with that Tamron 90mm SP Di because when you look at the canon it looks better, still i would still buy the canon and i did, am i a snob ? i don't think so .

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2012 - 12:46 PM

Quote: The only way to look at is every time they go up , so do your L lens's .each time i have sold one of my L's i have got more than i paid for it Wink

Not sold any of mine but second hand value is more than I paid also, As ive said before buying L is far cheaper than buying 3rd party glass if you take into account resale value

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.