Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Canon or a Badger.

LAF 11 1.7k
29 Nov 2005 8:22AM
Hi, I've finally saved up enough to buy a new digital camera and was wondering if I should buy a 5D or a Badger, or maybe even wait for something new to come out. The 5D looks like an excellent camera but the Badger is clearly more robustly built and better at diging. It would also seem to have superior low-light performance and be more likely to beat a terrier in a fight. My main concern is that the badger might be suceptible to bovine T.B. and currently there is no firmware available to remedy this.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me?

Lee.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

wotashot 11 2.2k
29 Nov 2005 8:27AM
Canon or a Badger, its up to you, but anything's better than a Nikon!!

Jamie Wink
croberts 10 2.2k 8 Ireland
29 Nov 2005 8:28AM
id wait until focus in february. Sigma are announcing a new Badger. It might be able to dig a hole much bigger than you'd think.
stevemelvin e2
9 675 2 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2005 8:29AM
Seek medical advice promptly?! Smile

Steve
mark a. 10 920 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2005 8:34AM
It has to be the badger. Badger hair is the best for shaving brushes, whereas trying to create a nice lather with a Canon is very hard.

Or have you considered beaver? Beaver's good.
stevemelvin e2
9 675 2 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2005 8:35AM
Now you're talking!
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2005 8:49AM
As always, it depends what you want it for. The badger will be very good at cleaning up vermin, whereas the Canon will be better for taking photographs.
You really need to get to a shop and try them out.

In the long run of course, if the badger dies you can always eat it, and you can even save the skin and have it stuffed.
Whereas if the canon dies, its too small and light for a doorstop, and it will make a lousy conversation piece.
chicorastas 10 91 France
29 Nov 2005 9:15AM
Yeah but have you considered the upgrade path if you go the badger route ? Personally I'd wait until brown bears become more affordable, they can stand on two legs and do full frame - not sure about the crap factor though (more than 1.6 x a badger ?)
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
29 Nov 2005 9:32AM
My initial and nostalgic reaction was to go Badger, but thinking about it, I have three Badgers in a cupboard that haven't been used for at least two years and yet still require constant grooming....so Canon.
LAF 11 1.7k
29 Nov 2005 9:34AM
Hmm the Beaver sounds like a good option but they appear to be hard to find over here (a few grey imports in Kent I believe). The similar model over here is badged Otter but is a little out of my price range. Similarly, the bear is also import only, except for a special offer one that comes with a sore-head as part of the kit, but I'm only interested in body only. Many thanks for all the excellent advice though. If I go for the Badger I'll be sure to post a full review.

Many thanks, Lee.
UserRemoved 10 4.2k
29 Nov 2005 9:37AM
Which will do less damage to your car when you hit it at 70mph?
u08mcb 10 5.8k
29 Nov 2005 9:37AM
Why get a badger when you can have 12 ferrets?
UserRemoved 10 4.2k
29 Nov 2005 9:39AM
Is a badger easier to park than a ferret?

answersonapostcard to...
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2005 9:40AM
I know its not as well know as the "big 2 " but have you oncidered the otter option? The waterproofing is much better than the badger.
cHRIS
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
29 Nov 2005 9:44AM
But Otters tend to initiate a jealous reaction in the field, whereas Stoats offer similar functionality without attracting attention. Plus of course, they fit in the trouser leg more easily.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.