Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mshulver1
    mshulver1  3 United Kingdom
    27 Dec 2012 - 1:59 PM

hi everyone,

the reviews for this camera look good, i have a nikon d90 with 70-300mm lens and i'm not really getting on with it. i mainly shoot wildlife and can't afford a bigger lens, so i was wondering if anyone has the SX50 and what its like for wildlife photography with its super zoom, , just weary of the image quality at longer focal lengths.

any help/advice please

mike

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Dec 2012 - 1:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

eonisuk
    eonisuk  7108 forum posts England
    27 Dec 2012 - 5:09 PM

I have the SX40 HS and i took this to the falklands in october along with my 50D and to be truthful the images are as good as what i get from the 50D even at full range of the zoom my daughter has just bought the SX50 and i am jealous that the lens has a longer range

the beauty of this camera is you dont need any other lens

I am not sure if i have uploaded any of my wildlife pictures yet but the clarity is excellent

mshulver1
    27 Dec 2012 - 5:21 PM

thanks, the only thing is they seem to have fallen short on a few things like the viewfinder so just weary that canon have already got a new version in the pipeline :S

eonisuk
    27 Dec 2012 - 5:35 PM

i tend not to use the viewfinder i use the screen

Crazius
    Crazius  8 Scotland
    27 Dec 2012 - 5:59 PM

The SX50 is a great camera but I feel that the rise in ISO setting for the longer zoom and the shorter shutter timer setting of only 15 seconds does not seem to be its' greatest points according to the many reviews I've looked at when choosing this camera. Eventually I chose the Panasonic Lumix FZ200 as it is only 330 here ( http://www.digitalrev.com/product/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200/MTAwMTEwMw_A_A?googl... ) and I hope to get the cashback promotion for it before the end of January 2013. Purchase deadline for this deal is end of 2012.

I've seen the many reviews and lets face it, you could go on about these two cameras till nobody knows what to go for in the end and both cameras are brilliant. The FZ200 has more features but the SX50 has a massive zoom that is 50x optical (100x digital!) and also the SX50 seems to have less noise than the FZ200 at higher ISO settings. The FZ200 has a faster lense however and can stay at ISO100 throughout without any problems.

Now I'm going on and on, just look at these two reviews and then all the discussions, everybody has a lot of difficulty deciding what to choose:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/canon_powershot_sx50_hs_review/ http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_fz200_review/

Last Modified By Crazius at 27 Dec 2012 - 6:00 PM
    eonisuk
    28 Dec 2012 - 8:37 PM

I am just about to put a picture on here that was taken with the SX40 so you can see the quality
    img-0698.jpg
    img-0518.jpg
    img-0695.jpg full range of the zoom

sx50noise
    sx50noise  1 United States
    17 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

Hi to all,
    I know that this post is about 8 months behind but I wanted to know how are people uploading photos taken from the sx50 with no noise in the pictures, and every picture that I take has noise in all of them? No matter what setting I use.

MichaelMelb_AU
    18 May 2013 - 5:46 AM

I have both DSLRs and superzooms. At the moment my primary camera is Canon EOS10D, with EOS550D as it's travel substitute, and I use Fujifilm HS30EXR superzoom as a secondary camera/holiday camera. There might be not so much difference between images taken with superzooms and DSLRs , but as for me they are not quite the same. Having said that - I cannot afford 720mm lens with EOS to take an image like this:
    r0-ts940x940-2288168.jpg
    This image was taken with my HS30 at full zoom, 2X smart zoom (1440mm equal), and I am quite happy with its quality - as long as I don't have to sell it, or print a poster from it. Cannot say much on SX50 , it seems to be a decent camera, but all-new HS50 is well worth considering. As for noise - when using a small sensor camera one needs to accept that it will be present in every image, especially in shadow areas. It takes considerable skill to choose the exposure small enough for not blowing highlights, but also preserving shadows detail with minimal noise. Exposure bracketing may help with it, and for getting image look great some photo processing is a must.

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 18 May 2013 - 5:51 AM
    KarenFB
    KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84292 forum posts England163 Constructive Critique Points
    18 May 2013 - 7:10 AM

Quote: Hi to all,
    I know that this post is about 8 months behind but I wanted to know how are people uploading photos taken from the sx50 with no noise in the pictures, and every picture that I take has noise in all of them? No matter what setting I use.

Hi Rod, welcome to EPZ! Smile

May I suggest you upload a few images to show us what you mean (making sure the EXIF details are included) - I'm sure someone will be able to help you, once they know all the details and how noisy your images are. Smile

sx50noise
    18 May 2013 - 9:58 PM

Quote: Hi to all,

Hi Rod, welcome to EPZ! Smile

May I suggest you upload a few images to show us what you mean (making sure the EXIF details are included) - I'm sure someone will be able to help you, once they know all the details and how noisy your images are. Smile

Hi KarenFB,

I am not sure on how to include EXIF info. But I also leaned that most of the Photos that I've seen on reviews of the Canon SX50 HS are uploaded after processing, because I processed some of my Photo's and get similar results. I just think that if a person does a review of a Camera, they should post out of the Camera Photos. I don't expect to get SLR or DSLR Photos from a Camera with such a small sensor but decent quality Photos.
    sx50-2--61-.jpg
    sx50--72-.jpg

sx50noise
    18 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

To MichaelMelb_AU

Hi,

If there wasn't so much noise in these Photos I would be ok with the images that the sx50 puts out. I am new to Photography but I did expect better from the sx50. I appreciate the response from you and "KarenFB ".

Thanks

MichaelMelb_AU
    19 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

I had a look at your images and would like to make a few suggestions.
    1.Use lens hood. As I understand lens hood does not come with SX50, but can be mounted on it. It is critical to image quality when lens is not in some sort of natural shade. Your plane image seems to be affected by hood absence.
    2. Use lover ISO values. Bird shot shows definite signs of high-ISO noise.
    3.Find in your camera manual the menu settings for noise management. I should be something like noise reduction - and usually it has about 3 gradations. Use the lowest value possible. The noise itself looks less off-putting than the smear from excessive noise suppression I see in bird image.
    4.Start using image processing. Even the simplest programs like Google Picasa (comes for free) allow to do some great image improvement.
    Cheers!

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 19 May 2013 - 12:55 AM
    sx50noise
    19 May 2013 - 9:03 AM

Thank you for your evaluation.
    Actually these photos haven't been touched up at all. I have tried "NR-Low_Standard and High" and believe me there's not much of a difference. I try to use "Manual" often, so I can learn what's best in different shooting situations and have more control over my shots in different lighting. And I do use the lens hood more often than not, I can't use the lens Filters because I purchased a kit that included _1 Hood. 3 Filters, 1 adapter Ring and a Lens Cap for $20.00, I take it true that you get what you pay for in certain situations, because the Canon SX50 can't seem to get a good Focus when using the lenses. The one thing about the SX50 is that even setting the sharpness to the max in the Camera the images still come out looking soft. I sold my Nikon P510 to buy this Canon SX50 and probably should tried out the Fujifilm SL1000 or FZ200 and better yet the HS50. How can I add photo info with photos?

Thanks !

sx50noise
    19 May 2013 - 9:34 AM

@
    MichaelMelb_AU

I do use Canon Photo Pro. which came on CD with the Camera and I try to edit in PS CS4 and I also have the Picasa but trying to suppress the noise just makes a water painting. lol
    I will likely sell it and look toward purchasing something a little more photo friendly for my taste.

mshulver1
    20 May 2013 - 9:38 PM

hi sx50 noise,

i've had my sx50 for a few months it takes some time to get used to it and get the right settings, if you're new to photography, try the camera on the 'P' mode on the top dial and put the iso limit setting to about 400 max, the only problem is that if there isn't sufficient light then the shutter speed will be slow and you'll get handshake blur especially at full zoom,

if you google "canon sx50 settings" there are several forums with good info on settings for good photos

mike

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.