Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Canon Raw conversion problems

suejoh e2
10 236 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2011 10:52PM
I have just bought a new Canon camera and I cannot process raw photos taken with it in Photoshop CS3. It will do the pcitures from my old camera but not the new one.

Please what do I do.

It is too late in the day and it is very irritating :-(

Thanks for any assistance - Sue

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

8 Mar 2011 11:07PM
If the updated camera raw doesn't support your new camera (model?) you can download the DNG converter which will allow you to convert your RAW files to a 'standard' format that PS supports
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
8 Mar 2011 11:09PM
I regret that Adobe are pure con-merchants in this respect. Once they release a new version of software, they very quickly stop releasing updates for what they consider to be obsolete versions.

You still expect Ford to provide things like oil filters and spark plugs for the Focus you bought in 2005, so Adobe's deliberate failure to provide updates for a very expensive software product of much the same age is, I am afraid, exactly the sort of unethical practice that has led to American businesses being despised throughout the civilised world.

Utterly despicable - but there seems to be not a thing we can do about it. They have us by the goolies and twist as hard as they can.

I even saw one of their "customer service" (sic) advisers suggesting it was the fault of Canon, Nikon, etc, for improving their Raw file formats.

strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2011 11:11PM
In the short term loading the version of DPP your camera came with is handy and you can use it to rganise and process your RAW files then have it open photoshop with the converted TIFF.
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
8 Mar 2011 11:16PM

Quote:You can still process raw files in the excellent DPP and transfer them automatically to Photoshop

Exactly as Chris has spelled out......Use your free DPP software to convert to 8bit or 16Bit Tiff files, Then open the tiffs to Photoshop CS3.....!!!

Many have commented that DPP does a better job on Canon Raw files, Than pretty much anything else around, Probably because they understand their cameras & software a lot better than the 3rd party options like " Adobes Camera Raw " ......Grin

Whats more newer versions of Canons DPP, When updated are provided free of charge too.....!!!

So basically Adobe can go " Screw " ......Wink
9 Mar 2011 7:02PM

Quote:I regret that Adobe are pure con-merchants in this respect. Once they release a new version of software, they very quickly stop releasing updates for what they consider to be obsolete versions.

You still expect Ford to provide things like oil filters and spark plugs for the Focus you bought in 2005, so Adobe's deliberate failure to provide updates for a very expensive software product of much the same age is, I am afraid, exactly the sort of unethical practice that has led to American businesses being despised throughout the civilised world.

Utterly despicable - but there seems to be not a thing we can do about it. They have us by the goolies and twist as hard as they can.

I even saw one of their "customer service" (sic) advisers suggesting it was the fault of Canon, Nikon, etc, for improving their Raw file formats.

Your comments suggest that you have no experience of producing professional software and the enormous overheads of configuration control and development in a world of specification changes.

Look at this from an Adobe point of view. Adobe does provide Raw updates as new cameras emerge but once they move to a new version then Adobe Raw usually has an element of redesign to include new features. This will probably mean that the new Adobe Raw Plug-ins are no longer backward compatible with the earlier version. Adobe now has to produce a Raw Module for the new version which incorporates just about every camera and model that has existed plus keep upgrading it as new models emerge. For Adobe to go back and upgrade the older versions of Adobe Raw would be significant additional work and who will pay for it. Adobe is not a charity so it has to be paid for via the upgrade price. Now why does this have to happen? If the Camera Manufacturers could agree on a Raw format then these problems would occur less often (inevitably any agreed Raw format would have to be updated eventually). Adobe proposed an open source DNG format but the main camera manufacturers have refused to use it (several smaller manufacturers do use it). This is certainly not Adobe's fault but Canon and Nikon who no doubt have their reasons.

Nevertheless, you feel Adobe are exploiting this situation but they do offer the free DNG converter which allows you to continue using your existing version of PS; you are not forced to update and Adobe keep the DNG converter right up to date. Please also bear in mind that PS is not written for the Amateur photographer and a professional may benefit from Adobe upgrades and can recover costs from clients. As an amateur I cannot justify every upgrade but then I do not upgrade my Camera every 18 months. If you can afford to do that then you can afford the PS updates.

I have no connection with Adobe or the software industry.

Dave
9 Mar 2011 7:20PM
As dave says above, Adobe supply a FREE converter that will convert your Canon raw file to adobe DNG (a sort of adobe raw) these will open in CS3 exactly the same as your normal raw files would.

Left Forum unlike Ford Adobe don't charge for the updates to camera raw, you BUY an oil filter or spark plugs (and they are not made by Ford either)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.