Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon/Sigma or Tamron

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Desh_M
    Desh_M  9386 forum posts
    20 Mar 2013 - 5:38 PM

All three brands have a 70-300mm. Question is, which one is the best as a telephoto lens. (Not considering the macro functionality)

I have decided that I cannot go for the Canon 70-300 mm L lens at the moment. So this is regarding the non-L version.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Mar 2013 - 5:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
    20 Mar 2013 - 6:10 PM

wat about second hand

mikehit
    mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2013 - 6:32 PM

The Canon 70-300 non-L is a very good lens and worked well on my 30D: image quality is excellent for the money and AF is quite quick.

llareggub
    llareggub  4678 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Mar 2013 - 7:09 PM

A question I toiled with not so long ago (in fact my choice arrived this weekend Smile ) I plumped for the Tamron 70-300 VC USD, in all the reviews I read there was no discernible real world difference in IQ between that and the Canon... Tamron won out for me on Build quality which is reportedly better than the Canon (and it is superb), full time manual focus and a great Image stabilisation system, oh yeah and a "free" lens hood. Both lenses are pretty much the same price.

Not had much chance to shoot with it as weather has been neff but the VC is awesome, it focuses quickly and accurately and most importantly of all the IQ I think is great. Not put anything on line yet but can upload a couple of samples tomorrow Smile

In all the research I did the Sigma offerings in this range languish a long way behind the Canon and Tamron and I discounted them very quickly.

tpfkapm
    tpfkapm  3142 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Mar 2013 - 7:37 PM

Canon 70 200 f 4 L and a 1.4 x extender is a very useful combination
    And worth thinking about . The 200 end is very good with reasonably good 280mm with extender

pwarner500
    pwarner500 e2 Member 128 forum postspwarner500 vcard United Kingdom
    20 Mar 2013 - 7:41 PM

i have a canon non L 75-300 some pics in my profile are taken with it tho i have to say im not a big fan but its all i can afford :-( maybe go for the tamron as spoke about above

RavenTepes
    21 Mar 2013 - 12:03 AM

Quote: Canon 70 200 f 4 L and a 1.4 x extender is a very useful combination
    And worth thinking about . The 200 end is very good with reasonably good 280mm with extender

Realistically, you could get away with this, but do keep in mind that the 70-200 f4 L is an EF lens, rather than a EF-S, so you'll get an automatic 1.6x. Add the 1.4 teleconverter, and you essentially have a 140-400 piece of kit Wink

Ray12
    Ray12 e2 Member 173 forum postsRay12 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Mar 2013 - 4:33 AM

Just to say have you thought about the Tamron 18-270mm its a cracking little lense..i have the none VC as i have a A77 with built in stabilisation

llareggub
    llareggub  4678 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Mar 2013 - 7:05 AM

I agree with all the comments concerning the 70-200 with 1.4TC however for me it sat outside my budget, I bought used at £225 for my Tamron, the cheapest I saw a Canon 70-200 f4L go for was £310 and then need to budget and additional £70-£100 for a good TC and fore go image stabilisation Sad

Desh_M
    Desh_M  9386 forum posts
    21 Mar 2013 - 11:57 AM

Thank you guys. I agree with llareggub that most reviews seem to favor the Tamron over Canon whereas the Sigma is way down the line. I might buy a used Tamron for now with the hope of buying Canon L later next year.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.