Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Canon T3i or T4i

hess123 5 5
12 Dec 2012 3:50AM
Which is better? my main photos that I'm looking to take are scenery/landscapes, wildlife and family portraits. Also what lens is best for me to use? I'd like to keep a bundle with extra lens, bag and tripod under $1000. Any suggesrions?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

alansnap e2
10 529 23 United Kingdom
12 Dec 2012 9:28AM
Ok, for us non-US folk that's a choice between the EOS 600D or 650D. I don't know what the difference in price is, but I think it's around $100.
The general principle should be; buy the best glass you can afford and treat the camera body as replaceable. So, let's look at your requirements. Scenery, landscapes and family portraits can best be taken with a wide/normal zoom. If you can afford the EF-S 17-85mm IS lens that will be going for years and would enable you to upgrade the body when you're ready and still give good results. For a longer standard zoom there is the EF-S 18-135 IS STM lens, but if you're going to buy and carry a longer zoom then stick with the 17-85.
Wildlife is a whole new ball game. The minimum focal length at the long end is 300mm, and the best glass around that's not a pro lens is the EF 70-300 IS USM. The maximum aperture is slowish at 5.6, but the IS helps. If you're going to get really serious about wildlife you will want longer lenses and they will all bust your budget, so my guess is that you aren't trying to be the next wildlife master and like most of us you'll be content with animals up close.
Tripods should be as sturdy as you can afford. Rising centre columns on the whole are not used so much, so look for good locks on the leg sections and the ability to hang a brick or a camera bag from the column to add stability. Get a tripod with a removable head so you can upgrade over time - either with better legs or a better head.
There you go, I hope that helps.
Alan
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
12 Dec 2012 9:44AM
Concentrating on the camera, the difference in image quality between the T4i and T3i is minimal and the upgrade is more about functionality - better AF and a touchscreen LCD. You have a fairly tight budget so I would say go for the T3i and I doubt you would see the difference in image quality.

The kit lens 18-55 IS II is a more-than-decent lens and much better than reputation would suggest so stay with that for now and see what you want in the future. The Canon 70-300 is a very good lens for the money but that and the body will chew up your budget - the cheaper 75-300 lens is inferior regards quality and mechanically and leaves many people disappointed.
The amount you spend on tripods should take into consideration how often you will use it and where. If your landscape is mainly occasional-on-a-day-out (like me) you can likely get away with a mcuh cheaper tripod than if you go out in all weathers with wind blowing and rain beating down (or studio work). The Slik range is a good place to start and if you can get down to a photo store and handle some then all the better. I think you could get away with spendingunder $100 and see how seriously you use it and what functions you want in your first 'proper' tripod. As alansnap says, if you can remove the head then you can upgrade that before upgrading the legs because most adjustability comes from the head.
I know there are some people who will say 'buy once and buy right' (and I usually agree with them) but that advice comes from a time when even a basic tripod was a significant outlay. And if you go to the 'buy once buy right' range you will go way over your budget.

Bags? Well, they are so personal and there is no 'ideal' bag but my first recommendation would be the LowePro slingshot 202AW because it is comfortable with the camera you are proposing and you can get at your gear without having to put the bag down (useful in shops and streets).
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
12 Dec 2012 8:02PM
I don't know about the T4i, but I had the T3i for awhile before switching to the Olymus E-M5, which I'm totally satisfied with.Grin The T3i has the best LCD screen I've ever used, by far. The only complaint I had with the camera, and it's only because I use that feature from time to time, is the slow drive speed. It was also slow wrighting RAW files to the card, and the buffer filled up fast, causing quite a few delays in snapping shots. A faster memory card, such as the Sandisk Extreme 600X is what I use now, and what a difference, it's excellent. I would definitely use it with any future camera I get. Apart from that it's a great little camera, and loaded with features, including excellent HD video. I agree with Mike, the 18-55mm is a super kit lens, and the 70-300mm would keep you within your budget for the time being. A bonus when getting a new Canon is the software that is included, especially DPP for RAW developement, the best I've used.

Denny

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.