Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon USA warranty valid in UK??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    engelsh2003
    30 Oct 2009 - 1:59 PM

Hello
    Thinking of buying a USA Canon 7D, it will come with a Canon USA warranty. Does anyone know if this will be valid in the UK. Im told that if it has a UK receipt it should be ok but just checking...
    Thanks
    Harry

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Oct 2009 - 1:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cmawson
    cmawson  11271 forum posts United Kingdom
    30 Oct 2009 - 3:29 PM

I'm a Brit living in the US, so I'll have a look on the paperwork on my Canon G10 for you.

But as far as I am aware, Canon, along with other manufacturers, only have limited warranty for the US & not outside. And again as far as I know, If anything goes wrong during warranty you will have to send it back to the US at your own cost the as the UK repair agent could charge for the repair.

cmawson
    cmawson  11271 forum posts United Kingdom
    30 Oct 2009 - 3:39 PM

Ok here's a link to the Canon USA warranty statement for the EOS 7D:

link

Munro
    Munro  638 forum posts United Kingdom
    1 Nov 2009 - 7:57 PM

I understand that warranties for a lens purchased outside the UK will be honoured in the UK under warranty by Canon, however for camera bodies the responsibility lies with the you, the buyer to return the body to the country of purchase for any warranty work. p&p at your own cost.....

This was something I looked into before I bought my 70 - 200 a few months ago.

I am sure if I am wrong someone will correct the above.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62431 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    1 Nov 2009 - 8:09 PM

Digressing whilst the price may look attractive if you pay in US $ with a credit card they include about 2.5% extra in the conversion charge, if you go to New York to buy it New York sales taxes are added (around 10%) and when you get back to UK it is a criminal offence not to pay 15% VAT.

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    1 Nov 2009 - 11:29 PM

I understand the US price is around $1700, which works out about 1220 once you have added shipping and VAT, and you can now get one with UK warranty for very close to that, so I'm not sure whether it is really worth it

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.