Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Canon verses Nikon Lenses

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mikemarita
    10 Dec 2010 - 4:12 PM

In general which are the best quality lenses and why? Still debating which camera to purchase and wondered whether make of lenses might tip the balance. Are other lense manufascturers such as Tamron or Sigma better in general? Mike

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Dec 2010 - 4:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53624 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Dec 2010 - 4:20 PM

Hi Mike,
    A few questions back, What kind of photography are you into?
    e.g. Canon do seem to be a more sporting events than nikon.

What sort of budget do you have in mind for a Lens or four? They are often as much as the camera again for the better ones.
    Would you consider Tamron, Sigma etc?

SLR's like Pentax have stabilisation (IS/VR/OS etc) in body rather than in Lens, and although this was not viewed as quite as good for IS performance, does keep the Lens cost down as you alread have the IS inbody.

Stuart

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 10 Dec 2010 - 4:21 PM
    Carrera_c
    Carrera_c  5256 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Dec 2010 - 4:23 PM

As far as I know, there's no golden rule for which is the better lens manufacturer. Some have lenses that produce better images under certain conditions and other manufacturers will do better for other conditions.

Best advice I can give to choose weather to go with Canon or Nikon is:
    - Do you know anyone else with a D-SLR? What do they have? (Because you may be able to borrow lenses from them from time to time, very useful when starting out).
    - Go into the shop and play with the cameras you're thinking of getting, it can be as simple as liking the feel of one over the other, or preferring the menu structure or button layout.

Hope that helps you a little.

John_Frid
    John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Dec 2010 - 4:52 PM

Both Canon and Nikon produce top quality lenses - neither manufacturer is universally better than the other.

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Dec 2010 - 5:13 PM

Quote: Both Canon and Nikon produce top quality lenses - neither manufacturer is universally better than the other.

but go for canon ! Wink just take a look at any sport event & what do you see ? white !

Last Modified By colin beeley at 10 Dec 2010 - 5:14 PM
    scottishphototours

Tamron and Sigma have some GREAT lenses, but in general the Nikon and Canon lenses are better.

However, at some price points the Tam/Sig lenses can be 40% cheaper, so it comes down to horses for courses...

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Dec 2010 - 5:16 PM

Quote: Both Canon and Nikon produce top quality lenses - neither manufacturer is universally better than the other

In a Nutshell......Grin

The question of what is better than what = How long is a piece of string, Or what are you comparing precisley......Smile

No camera or lens brand or combination of either is capable of making you the photographer any better than you are capable of, You could spend 50,000 on bodies & lens, Yet still take crap pictures......Sad

Can't advise what might fit your needs due to a lack of any PF images, So have no idea what your particular inclination is, Photographically wise.....!!!

Wink

Quote: just take a look at any sport event & what do you see ? white

Nikon do white/grey lens too, But not wanting to be mistaken for a Canon shooter, Most opt for the black versions.....Tongue

Last Modified By cameracat at 10 Dec 2010 - 5:19 PM
    colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Dec 2010 - 5:52 PM

(Nikon do white/grey lens too, But not wanting to be mistaken for a Canon shooter, Most opt for the black versions.) they only show one on here

Last Modified By colin beeley at 10 Dec 2010 - 5:52 PM
    Overread
    Overread  63763 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Dec 2010 - 6:09 PM

The only way you can get an answer for this is to put specific criteria up for yourself for the camera's to meet. There are minor differences in the lens ranges; but in general unless you have those specific requirements the differences won't matter at all.

Purely on the lens front there is only one (read that one) thing that one company can do that the other can't and that is 5:1 macro photography which only canon produce a lens capable of achieving (the MPE 65mm macro). However even within macro circles its a rarer used lens and one of the hardest out there to use. In addition the use of reversing rings, close up lens attachments and microscope elements can give equal and better results than the MPE so for the determined shooter its not an impossibility either for the Nikon photographer.

MikeA
    MikeA  91173 forum posts England
    11 Dec 2010 - 9:26 AM

Quote: Nikon do white/grey lens too, But not wanting to be mistaken for a Canon shooter, Most opt for the black versions....

....... then paint them white WinkTongue

keith selmes
    11 Dec 2010 - 10:36 AM

Quote: which are the best quality lenses and why?

In wide angle to short telephoto lenses, its a choice between Zeiss and Leica. Why ? Partly I just thought its fun to throw that in the discussion. But also there's a fairly wide body of opinion around the web that it is so. With a couple of lenses I've found it true, so I guess it probably is.

A couple or three years ago I read a magazine article where a professional photographer had tested some DSLR, I think that would be Leica, with the digital back on an dslr, a Canon full frame, and a Nikon. He concluded the Canon set was best because the body/sensor was. As an afterthought, because the Leica lenses were really good, he got an adapter and tried them on the Canon. This was really the best combination.

Manual focus of course, no good if you need AF. And you have to be careful as to which lenses fit which bodies without fouling mirrors.

If life were simple it would be very boring.

thewilliam
    11 Dec 2010 - 10:51 AM

Both Canon and Nikon have some lenses that the other can't match. Also, the two leap-frog each other for pole position.

Taking the view that a camera system is for the long-term and not just for Christmas, it makes sense to choose the marque that feels comfortable to use. The best camera in the world won't give good pix if it it doesn't fit your hands.

Sports photographers do seem to use Canon - you should ask why?

You can get adapters for using Nikon lenses on Canon bodies but not the other way round. Ask yourself why a Canon user would want to use a Nikon lens. And enough of them to jusify the tooling for making an adapter. Higher-end Nikon bodies will take the old manual-focus lenses, great optics which are available at bargain-basement prices.

User_Removed
    11 Dec 2010 - 11:35 AM

Quote: Both Canon and Nikon have some lenses that the other can't match. Also, the two leap-frog each other for pole position.

That really is the crux of the matter. Buy Canon today and in six months Nikon will have a notionally better one, and vice-versa.

As I said in your "which dSLR" thread, toss a coin and then stick with your decision.

Draig37
    Draig37  7248 forum posts Wales
    11 Dec 2010 - 11:59 AM

as above - reminds me when I first started. I could not chose between Canon and Nikon set-ups or lenses etc.

It came down to simple ergonomics as the Canon fitted my hands better than the then current model of the Nikon.

peterjones
    peterjones e2 Member 123934 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Dec 2010 - 12:42 PM

both are as good as each other; it is down to personal preference.

Nikon have an advantage in staying with the F mount which means that old Nikkor lenses can be used on many modern DSLRs such as the D3, 700 & 90; what is more they perform extremely well and compare favourably to modern lenses such as the 24-70 f/2.8; I should say that the old prime lenses compare well; I suspect some of the old zoom lenses may not compare so well.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.