Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cant view raw files in elements?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Lucian
    Lucian  4561 forum posts
    26 Apr 2011 - 10:04 PM

I have just got a new laptop and installed elements 8, downloaded some files on to my new external hard drive via elements.

My photos can be seen in elements but when going to computer- external hard drive to try and view the photos at the bit that gives you the option of small, medium or large icons all i get is a flower icon regardless of what i select and i really need to be able to view the photos of the raws and not just a flower icon and a file number. can anyone help. thanks

Lucian

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Apr 2011 - 10:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

WilliamRoar
    26 Apr 2011 - 10:18 PM

What camera do you use?

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014926 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Apr 2011 - 10:19 PM

If you use Canon, and have Digital Photo Professional, process the RAW files, and select convert and save. Then they will show in Elements as jpegs.

Also, you may be able to download Adobes Raw converter.

Lucian
    Lucian  4561 forum posts
    26 Apr 2011 - 10:23 PM

I am using a 5d mk 2 and did not have this problem when i used my 5d mk1. I dont want to process my raws to make them jpegs as i want to keep these files as the original raws as i edit them in photoshop then save a copy as jpeg so i still can go back to the raws at a later stage if i need to.

StrayCat
    StrayCat e2 Member 1014926 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Apr 2011 - 10:24 PM

You still keep the RAW files if you do what I said.

Lucian
    Lucian  4561 forum posts
    26 Apr 2011 - 10:31 PM

I will try to work out what you mean and give it a go. thanks for your help.

Lucian
    Lucian  4561 forum posts
    27 Apr 2011 - 7:48 AM

I have worked out how to use dpp to batch process raws to jpegs and i can get the jpgs in to elements but they are jpegs and i want to use raws. i like my raw icons to sit in elements after processing and saving a jpeg so if the jpeg does not print well i can compare it to the edited raw and make tweaks.

can anyone confirm if elements 9 will open the raws in photoshop and let me work on them. If someone can confirm this i will just go and get elements 9. Thanks for all the help everyone.

franken
    franken e2 Member 123173 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Apr 2011 - 8:11 AM

The adobe raw converter works really well. It's free and it can be obtained here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/extend.displayTab2.html

Ken

ps, it will open all converted files in elements.

davey_griffo
    27 Apr 2011 - 11:16 AM

You may find that your camera isn't supported in the raw converter in Elements 8. You should download the latest version anyway, & maybe this will fix it, depending on how old the camera is. But Adobe stop supporting older versions (and updating the raw converters), the minute the new version hits the shelves, so you may have to upgrade.

3 solutions to your problem.

1) download the raw to dng converter as suggested above.
    2) upgrade to Elements 9.
    3) Convert the raw's in the Canon software that came with your camera.

redhed17
    redhed17  8663 forum posts England
    27 Apr 2011 - 3:13 PM

Quote: I have worked out how to use dpp to batch process raws to jpegs and i can get the jpgs in to elements but they are jpegs and i want to use raws. i like my raw icons to sit in elements after processing and saving a jpeg so if the jpeg does not print well i can compare it to the edited raw and make tweaks.

can anyone confirm if elements 9 will open the raws in photoshop and let me work on them. If someone can confirm this i will just go and get elements 9. Thanks for all the help everyone.

You should be able to get the Adobe Camera Raw update (v6.2) which is the last compatible with Elements 8. That version should have no problems with the Canon 5D MkII. No need to convert to DNG.

Lucian
    Lucian  4561 forum posts
    27 Apr 2011 - 3:17 PM

the 5 d mk2 is not on the list of cameras that were adeed to v6.2 so i dont think it will work.

redhed17
    27 Apr 2011 - 3:45 PM

Quote: The 5 d mk2 is not on the list of cameras that were adeed to v6.2 so i dont think it will work.

Canon 5D MkII compatibility was added in ACR v5.2 as you can see here. ACR v6.2 is the last version you can install for Elements 8, and has had Canon 5D MkII compatibility for quite some time. I would have assumed you would have already had compatibility, but you may not have updated for whatever reason.

Hope it works for you once you have updated.

camay
    camay  7121 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Apr 2011 - 4:43 PM

I am still using Elements 4 on my netbook (when I am on holiday). I have downloaded the free Adobe converter, that converts my Olympus RAW files to dng files, so they are still RAW files but it allows my old version of Elements to work with my RAW files. I save both Olympus RAW and dng RAW for work when I get home. It means I can play with RAW even though Elements 4 doesn't recognise the files straight from the camera. And Adobe is unlikely to change their RAW format, so they won't go out of date. Best of both worlds I think.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104047 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Apr 2011 - 5:38 PM

If you use DPP use that to convert your files to TIFF for working in and it still saves the RAW file as well in case you want to go back to it. Then if you need to, when you've got the TIFF file as you want it in PS you can save as a JPEG and the TIFF as well, so all is backed up. Simples.
    I am running CS2 and it doesn't see the RAW files from my 1D MkIII or the 5D MkII.

redhed17
    27 Apr 2011 - 11:24 PM

There are free RAW converter programs on the internet, RawTherapee for one, so if you want to, you can continue to covert and work on the RAW file. There are other free converters though.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.