Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


Captain Slow - just bought an x10


lumix5 3 219 Northern Ireland
10 Aug 2013 1:24AM
Just bought an x10 from MPB and it arrived today. All seems okay and samples I have taken already once run through lightroom are very nice. I have updated the firmware to v2.0. Reading some of the forums my only concern is that the serial number on my cam begins with 14 and some say that sn's beginning with 24 and above are better to own. I have tested for orb's and cannot find any problems, should I worry about anything else. Thanks in advance for any advice,

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
10 Aug 2013 1:43AM
No I would not worry, orbs were never a major issue, enjoy the camera, you should see my serial no, its less than 200, I got one of the very earliest of units Smile

If you shoot Raw and use Lightroom, check out the download section, I`ve added a couple of camera profiles for the Fuji x10 that will give better results than the Adobe default profile.
kodachrome 3 474
10 Aug 2013 8:05AM
Paul's right, I have an early production X10 and have never experienced the alleged 'Orb' problem and if I did I wouldn't worry, I think some reviewers made to big a deal about it.

On the other side of the coin, the Fuji Jpegs are outstanding, probably the best Jpegs from any camera, read DP Reviews.
Pete
timbo 12 591 United Kingdom
10 Aug 2013 9:29AM
Don''t worry, mine starts with 14 and it's perfectly fine. I only shoot Jpegs with it now as they are really good. Enjoy the camera, it's a little gem.
lumix5 3 219 Northern Ireland
10 Aug 2013 9:43AM
Thanks so much everyone for the reassuring replies. I am, so far, really happy with the camera and was pleasantly surprised when it arrived as included in the packaging was an original X10 every ready leather case, a metal lens hood and an extra battery. None of these were included in MPB's description before I hit the buy button, so thumbs up MPB for that.

Paul, thanks for the info on the downloads, I have lightroom 5 and have downloaded both ffiles for the X10, but how do I use the downloads? If you have time to answer this I would much appreciate it.

Kind regards all,

David.
lumix5 3 219 Northern Ireland
10 Aug 2013 9:49AM
Oh just one more thing. I have tried to find out the shutter count on the camera by using MyShutterCount to no avail and then tried Opanda Exif 2.3 which give me a lot of info but I have no clue as to which numbers indicate the shutter count.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
10 Aug 2013 7:08PM

Quote:Thanks so much everyone for the reassuring replies. I am, so far, really happy with the camera and was pleasantly surprised when it arrived as included in the packaging was an original X10 every ready leather case, a metal lens hood and an extra battery. None of these were included in MPB's description before I hit the buy button, so thumbs up MPB for that.

Paul, thanks for the info on the downloads, I have lightroom 5 and have downloaded both ffiles for the X10, but how do I use the downloads? If you have time to answer this I would much appreciate it.

Kind regards all,

David.



I`m still using version 3.6, can`t afford to upgrade my pc at the mo.

With LR 5 I believe you need to copy the DCP files here.

Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles/

Sorry but I have no idea of how to find the shutter count.
lumix5 3 219 Northern Ireland
10 Aug 2013 9:17PM
I think I understand your instructions Paul, thanks for taking time to share your knowledge.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
10 Aug 2013 9:40PM
Hope it helps
Snapper 9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
10 Aug 2013 9:45PM

Quote:No I would not worry, orbs were never a major issue, enjoy the camera, you should see my serial no, its less than 200, I got one of the very earliest of units Smile

If you shoot Raw and use Lightroom, check out the download section, I`ve added a couple of camera profiles for the Fuji x10 that will give better results than the Adobe default profile.



Hi Paul, where can I find these downloads please? I'm on LR 3.6 the same as you.

Thanks, Peter
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
10 Aug 2013 9:55PM
Snapper 9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
10 Aug 2013 10:15PM
Thanks Paul, didn't even realise that part of the site existed! I'll give these a go, but I see you've done others and was just wondering if your Panny GF2 profiles would be good for the GF3 as well?.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
10 Aug 2013 11:48PM

Quote:Thanks Paul, didn't even realise that part of the site existed! I'll give these a go, but I see you've done others and was just wondering if your Panny GF2 profiles would be good for the GF3 as well?.


No camera profiles are camera specific, LR will not let you use GF2 profiles with GF3 images.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
11 Aug 2013 7:58PM
How did you get on David.
lumix5 3 219 Northern Ireland
11 Aug 2013 8:53PM
Paul I am still stumped as to how to use the downloads. I am using Windows 7 and it seems to take me through a process which goes on to what looks like a reinstall of Lightroom 5. Each time it reaches that point I loose my bottle and cancel the process. On another note I updated the firmware in the camera to Version 2.0 and did not like loosing the Raw button in favour of the quick menu so I have reverted to Version 1.03.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.